Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Your thoughts: Deepest detector on silver coins?

Posted by Gannon 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your thoughts: Deepest detector on silver coins?
February 20, 2018 05:04PM
Okay so not to open a can of worms but I’ve found a few sites where an old ball field is and after taking an at pro, fisher f70, deus, at max and Etrac to... only the Etrac told me deep “coins” were present. Why? Well the tone ID (multi conductive) flutty sound, as Keith Southern mentions, told me it’s there. Then the depth meter was pegged, out popped a merc.
Old School silver Finds I found 5 silvers here previously I couldn’t reach.

So in this field all the other detectors I’ve gridded with either blanked out (wasn’t deep enough) or I wouldn’t dig a “29,99,35,76” jumpy beyond believe number.

My belabored statement to question is: What would you consider the deepest machine that ID’s coins the most accurately?

That being said, strictly speaking of a realitively clean site (not an insane amnount of iron or trash), low to moderate mineralization, moist conditions.
I’m ruling out severe red clay or desert mineralization.

What do you think? Did I answer my question or is there another machine I didn’t mention that is just as good?

G

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
Re: Your thoughts: Deepest detector on silver coins?
February 20, 2018 05:43PM
My vote would be for the legendary White's 5900 Di Pro SL CB, it has possibly the most accurate Target ID meter (needle) ever devised. It is analog technology at it's peak and can be extremely deep on coins of any denomination. It has to be learned like any other machine and once you get to the finer aspects of tuning the Ground Balance in harmony with the Signal Balance, then it all falls into place. The Signal Balance aka pre amp gain is the secret to get the most out of this machine. It will have to have the Ground Balance adjusted for higher levels of Signal Balance as they are closely tied together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 06:57PM by Hombre.
February 20, 2018 05:49PM
Keep using your etrac. Just get a bigger coil if you need more depth. The Tornado and Ultimate work great.
February 20, 2018 06:30PM
Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My vote would be for the legendary White's 5900 Di
> SL Pro (Ccool smiley, it has possibly the most accurate Tar
> get ID meter (needle) ever devised. It is analog t
> echnology at it's peak and can be extremely deep o
> n coins of any denomination. It has to be learned
> like any other machine and once you get to the fin
> er aspects of tuning the Ground Balance in harmony
> with the Signal Balance, then it all falls into p
> lace.

I have to second what Hombre said and add that the XL Pro/6000 XL/Di Pro SL are all equally as deep. The only thing is that the auto ground balance on these models vs. on the 5900 is trickier to get juuuust right, but it can be done with patience and experience. Those top-of-the-line White's analog machines are just superb detectors.
February 20, 2018 07:39PM
The problem you have is that the screen ID go's out the window before the audio on many units at depth.
On a solo sitting unmasked quarter size silver coin, in medium/high mineralization, using disc, and giving a steady diggable ID, the best i've had is the AKA Signum MFD.
As a site specific machine it's hard to beat for depth, match the coil size/freq to the target, and off you go knowing you have an edge.
Here's a vid of a quarter size silver @12" in my test garden. I know some folk can get as deep, but an Etrac bottoms out around 10" in my soil on the same coin, all other machines I've tried do less in depth.
I'm just messing about with the deep mode in the vid, as an ade to check a target, but if you just want to use your ears you can go considerably deeper with the MFD.

[youtu.be]

Sorry, had to edit to say that the coin in the vid is actually a silver dime, the coin at the other end of the stick was the quarter silver size coin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 07:47PM by ghound.
February 20, 2018 07:54PM
In my test garden my old anniversary f-75 hit deeper on a clad dime that the e-trac and the ML SE pro didn't even smell.....My CZ hits a tad deeper than the f-75....all on 0disc and cranked up. I know you said silver = no difference.

I don't have any newer machines to compare.....hopefully that will change, soon.
February 20, 2018 08:07PM
It My area with 'Moderate' Ground the Etrac/Explorers and Fisher CZ's are King.
Get a Proper CZ-3D and put the 10.5" coil on if trash is low and pull some super deepies on edge. And a Sunray X-12 on the Etrac. Best deep coils in My ground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2018 08:18PM by Harold,ILL..
wjs
February 20, 2018 10:56PM

the best i've had is the AKA Signum MFD.

Yes, they are deep.....
February 20, 2018 11:17PM
Sovereign with large coil like 10x12 SEF or the likes.

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
February 20, 2018 11:32PM
Great info everyone! I’m looking into the models, and adding coils to the Etrac.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
February 20, 2018 11:43PM
In mild ground at my house, a 10 inch dime cannot be detected by the eTrac or CTX wearing the stock coil. But put the Ultimate on the eTrac and it gets it. So does the CTX with the large 13x17 coil. In some of my red dirt ground, you won't hear a dime beyond 6 inches, no matter what coil is on them.

As far as tone ID goes, the GPX is probably the deepest I have run for coins. Depths on a dime easily surpassing 12 inches at the lowest gain settings in any soil and with small coils to boot. One of my favorites was the 5x10 DD and running low gain. Just dig the clean sounding low tones, or invert the tone to make it more traditional, and make it give a high tone for high conductors. You cant adjust the tone break on it but it appears to be somewhere around the tab range where the tone changes.
February 21, 2018 12:21AM
CZ coil for coil...Explorer XS but of course you need more than 8 inch coil.....been there done that...