Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Am I just the only one who doesn't want a Equinox?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Am I just the only one who doesn't want a Equinox?
February 21, 2018 10:20AM
I was interested in them till I seen that the target ID was similar to the Safari after that I lost a lot of interest in it. Now after watching a few You Tube videos of it in action I know I made the right choice in not getting one. Most of the finds on the videos would have been found by machines that I already have. I definitely don't feel like I'm missing out on something by not having one. This is just my opinion so don't think I am bashing the machine I just know it and me wouldn't click.
Re: Am I just the only one who doesn't want a Equinox?
February 21, 2018 10:32AM
I don't have one, but I'll probably get one. Just for one reason though. Beach hunting. If I was dirt hunter I doubt I would get one. I sur3 would not be in a hurry to buy one fighting the waiting lists. The Kruzer on the other hand? Depending on your dirt and where you live......It seems like a great detector. But then again we know Nokta will have a better one the end of the year. So keep what you have and hunt.
February 21, 2018 10:38AM
I have no desire to get one. I am actually thinking of the VGG for the type of hunting I do. I have a CTX, Deus, F75ltd, MXT, CZ 6a, Tesoro Vaq and Mojave that I have pounded my old sites with and there is not much left. That's only the machines I have kept for my regular use arsenal. Maybe if I lived near the beach I would opt to try one.
February 21, 2018 10:41AM
Yeah I am 6-8 hrs from a beach so I wouldn't be using one for salt water beaches.
February 21, 2018 12:37PM
I think I could get along with out one haven't seen anything to WOWZA yet except maybe the chain but it was a big chain at that.
February 21, 2018 01:07PM
I would think it’ll turn out to be a good hunter. Already having the CtX,Explorer2,modified IDXPro and Compadre-8,there’s just really no need I can think of. Much of the appeal is in the apparent ability to find low conductors better and the “lighter weight”,though a few have said the balance is off,even with the stock coil. That’s a lot of opinion which doesn’t matter much to me,what matters are results over time. I have decent soil and don’t need ludicrous speed,so unless someone shows me a series of real world digs that blows away what I have...I probably don’t NEED one. The lack of the FECO readout for ME is going to be a dealbreaker,as I see ALOT of bottle caps being dug. No such thing happens with my other 2 Minelabs with FECO. Whether or not there are “other ways” of telling a bottle cap from a good target,I’m just not interested in screwing around with all those techniques. Maybe this tech CANT have a FECO readout. And that’s OK,it’s not supposed to be a CTX or Explorer. It’ll do fine for what it is designed and for the market for whom they are meant. As long as people are happy with whatever they have,are finding what they are hunting and are comfortable hunting with their choice of machine...in the end that’s what counts.
February 21, 2018 01:08PM
Looks like a really good machine but I haven't seen anything yet that tells me that I've got to have one. Now if I see good ID at depth in four bar dirt that could change. But I don't see how it could be any better than the Etrac in bad ground, and the Etrac can't compare to my Detech Relic Striker.
February 21, 2018 01:30PM
It doesn't appear to be "exceptional" in it's performance from what little I've seen so far. Certainly does seem like a fine piece of tech though.

I'll keep watching as more user info comes out and more detailed reports from Tom, Keith, SteveH, etc... appear.

I'm patiently waiting to see the specs of the next Nokta and First Texas machines.

It would be fun to get Alper, Carl, and Dave J. together for a few weeks, feed them good food and tons of liquor, and see what they could come up with.
It would likely tell the diff between foil and gold, solve world hunger, and bring peace to the entire globe, including MichiganRelicHunter and TNSS.
February 21, 2018 01:35PM
Despite my indoors videos, the machine has excellent in ground capabilities. I will post my second hunt video tonight, and while most of it is just showing the screen, I dig a few deep targets.
February 21, 2018 01:56PM
I would love to see a video of someone using one in some my mineralized Clay dirt I have here that's 3-4 bar dirt.
February 21, 2018 02:03PM
You're not the only one Morgan

Like Welgund said above, I too am going to get one of the VGG's to add to my stockpile and like Dave said above = I haven't seen anything "exceptional" about it from all the videos/etc

the only place I see where it shines above most is in saltwater for micro jewelry hunting so to me = the saltwater/beach hunters got something new/improved to play with but other than that there's a ton of pre-existing units that cover the rest of the bases imo so I'm gonna have to pass on this one.
February 21, 2018 02:10PM
Two many good targets all over the VDI range. It will take some time to get use to this. As a relic hunter I use Field 2 in two tones and dig anything above iron. Using the 50 tone option in the iron nail beds is not the way to go in Multi. Since I know my ground it is doing well so far. Heavy on the coil end but I have to extend the shaft to the end being a tall man with short arms. I detect shaft flex. My hand rubs the control box while gripping.My coil will false when striking an object at high sensitivity. I would hate to be a park hunter. You will need to dig a ton of non ferrous to find good low conductive targets. Heading out to relic hunt in a few.
February 21, 2018 02:32PM
I have to admit, I've loved using Minelabs - it was the fluty sounds that got me for some reason. (And the depth of course). But the weight/balance chased me from both the E-Trac and CTX.
So, my dream of a lite E-Trac like machine came true.

I'll say I am a bit sad that the VID is only 1 number and not two, that the depth meter (I hear) is not so accurate, and that the VID are closer to an Exterra in range. We'll see how it goes once I actually get to hunt.

I can see the pushback though, I had never used an E-Trac back in the mid 2,000's when I started as on the forums it seemed like they got all the finds. So I started with a Nautilus IIb and then a Teknetics and realized for my type of hunting, VID really helped.
Finally broke down years later and got an E-Trac, and was just blown away by how deep they were out of the box.

So, for me, like I said, I see the pushback, but my back is so happy to have an option finally. The ra ra ra is a bit old now, but I see why...

Best,
EMS
February 21, 2018 02:41PM
The Eq just sucks at Monte's nail board test. Man , don't get one guys. Keep your F75's.

[www.detectorprospector.com]”-coil/
February 21, 2018 02:51PM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Eq just sucks at Monte's nail board test. Man
> , don't get one guys. Keep your F75's.
>
> [www.detectorprospector.com]
> -video-nail-board-test-plus-a-peek-at-the-new-6”-c
> oil/

yep, its gonna be a horrible machine for dirt hunters. Think I will just go ahead and sell mine.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 02:58PM by bigboar.
February 21, 2018 03:02PM
I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm in no hurry. I have a friend that is an excellent hunter that just got his last week. I know I can get an honest assessment of it's capabilities from him in a few months. Then I'll make a decision.
February 21, 2018 03:10PM
I'be been keeping a eye on these latest two water proof offerings with the thought of replacing the one water proof model I have. And while I feel pretty certain that the Equinox would have a little better depth, I just don't like some of the things I see about the Eq and have decided to hold off, at least for a while. I'm pretty partial to my F 75 LTD2 DST, anyway, as my main detector. HH jim tn
February 21, 2018 03:24PM
My only interest had been curiosity but now that I've seen the operating manual that curiosity has been satisfied well enough that I no longer have to purchase one. The feature set isn't helpful to me so I don't have a place for an Equinox in my tool box.

HH
Mike
February 21, 2018 03:55PM
Not for me either,only thing that did grab my initial attention was the good performance on the wet sand/.surf video,but as i live so far inland buying one of these machines would not gain me any advantage on what i all ready have,but i hope those folks who did buy them are pleased with them and that is basically what its all about.The 'sheep following instinct' of buying the latest detector/s is not for me alas.
February 21, 2018 04:26PM
Only go round once and a personal choice pro or con..right now old school with a pacer 11 and a CZ...your needs may differ....
February 21, 2018 04:27PM
I do want one, reading Tnss reports of how it sees coins below iron as good or better than the Deus has my interest.
My thinking is it will find a mixture of conductive targets in iron better than others, it would probably cover 90% of my hunting with the Signum coming behind to clean up the deep stuff.
Sadly i just don't have the available time at the moment to learn a new machine, so i'm in no rush.
February 21, 2018 05:00PM
88junior Wrote:
> I was interested in them till I seen that the targ
> et ID was similar to the Safari after that I lost
> a lot of interest in it. Now after watching a few
> You Tube videos of it in action I know I made the
> right choice in not getting one. Most of the finds
> on the videos would have been found by machines th
> at I already have. I definitely don't feel like I'
> m missing out on something by not having one. This
> is just my opinion so don't think I am bashing the
> machine I just know it and me wouldn't click.

You are not alone Morgan!----Having studied the Equinox & seen one in action by an experienced user--I'm happy with & will keep what I already have thank you.------For my style of hunting & my sites, (IMO) the detectors I already have are hard/impossible to beat--which are the CTX, Etrac. Fors Relic, Fors CoRe, F-19 & G2+.-----I could probably even trim them a little--but I am SOOO in love with 'em!smiling smiley---------Del

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 05:13PM by D&P-OR.
February 21, 2018 06:08PM
Some on here had it replacing the Etrac and CTX before it even came out. Now that's hype at it's best. From what I have seen it does not come close to I.D. at Depth then Etrac or CTX.
February 21, 2018 06:21PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Some on here had it replacing the Etrac and CTX be
> fore it even came out. Now that's hype at it's bes
> t. From what I have seen it does not come close to
> I.D. at Depth then Etrac or CTX.

My video tonight might change your mind
February 21, 2018 06:29PM
Well, I guess I could ask a couple questions here.

Equinox is under the bus after what a week??

I wonder did any of the fbs fanboys here jump on the Etrac a week after release or the CTX?

Well, horses for courses, I guess.

An old park beat up with fbs, I wouldn't mind taking my chances with Equinox based on what I have seen.

Ground covered means something too, might net a person a few finds.

Might be wise to give the detector a little more time.

Btw, who here is going to pass on digging a deep 40 conductive signal with Etrac in old park. 40 is kinda off the mark for silver ain't it.

I'll dig that baby every day of the week, even though it's not suppose to be silver is it??

There are some nice coins out there not so deep either. Guess what an Etrac and CTX coil has went right over too. And there still there buried waiting on somebody.
Could be waiting on an Equinox runner. Lol

Anyone notice the coins I found yesterday. 6 total. I found them in about 30 minutes tops. In a real small area. They weren't that far apart. I sure didn't dind them with my CTX. Although I did 3 deep wheats there previously. I had Deus there too, I can remember which coil. Either the 11" or the 9". I hunted that spot 2 times previously. Sure I might have missed one or 2, but not 6.
Coins in too confimed an area- landmark is right there too- can't describe cause a few folks are reading here who live close , not that deep either running 5.5"-7.5" deep.
So this spot loads of little trash aluminum, etc, I could hear and see on Equinox meter. Remember I had speed running pretty fast. Had CTX running in fast Recovery too.

I have been doing some backtracking with Equinox. This is how I learn quite a bit about a detector. Do 't even have to do head to head, instead I look for trends. So far I like what I am seeing with Equinox. Time will bear out morose what I am seeing I think,

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 06:44PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 21, 2018 06:43PM
"It's not that I don't want one!

Few weeks ago, was in "Bean's", Freeport ME, trying to fit a 'LaCrosse Camo Wellington Boot'.
It was a quick visit coz we had to get back to Boston before snow that was coming up from there.
So I didn't buy. What was 'bothering me', and at the back of my mind was, I have an almost new 'Timberland' snow boot (big boots) and another pair of camo 'Rocky Hunter's' (minimum metal)
Returning home I pressed the Rocky's into service right away (wearing them now) and I removed the large wool insert (fur tops) from the Timber's and put on a few pairs of socks to make up the size difference and guess what? I'm surprised I hadn't worn them before (I won't tell you how long I've had them, same with the Rocky's)

Thing is, I saved around two hundred bucks as I already had not one but two suitable alternative choices.

In the trunk of the car there are two detectors: different brands: doing different things.
I can assemble at least eight more off the bat with EXTRA coils to spare.
So my current detecting requirements are covered.

I was out yesterday (in the Timber's) with my Deus
It suited the site to a T - time of year, crop condition, settings, expectations etc.
Truth be told, I was on a few parts of the site (vast) that 'were quiet'

Pretty soon it'll be plowing time so the majority of my 'interesting sites the ones I use to assess detectors', will be out of bounds till next Fall / Winter

So my Q is, do I really need an Equinox now???"
February 21, 2018 07:03PM
I tried one for a very short time I liked how light and easy it swung. I will wait for about 6 months and then get the lowdown. swinging the Fisher CZ's are wearing the shoulder out.
February 21, 2018 07:16PM
Everyone saying yeah I found more where I hunted before let me ask you this.
Have you ever taking other detectors in there and found more or go back after a winter and find more with your same detector?
I know I have with the same detector I use all the time for my hunting the CTX.
I could of swore I hunted a place out then found a deep nickle and some other things where I know I detected may times before.
Maybe a frost heave maybe something else but still found more targets.
My point just because you find more targets in your old spot with the EQ doesn't mean you wouldn't of found them with your old machine. You would have to show us both detectors and setups in a video I guess prove that theory.
Also do you think you might be finding more with the EQ because you are digging everything now? I do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 08:11PM by GreenMeanie.
February 21, 2018 07:35PM
I'm getting one, it's the lure of finding those priceless green IH pennies that drove me to it. smileys with beer

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
February 21, 2018 08:07PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> My video tonight might change your mind

LOL LOve the CoNfIdEnCe