Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Am I just the only one who doesn't want a Equinox?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Am I just the only one who doesn't want a Equinox?
February 21, 2018 08:07PM
I'd take them results with a grain of salt!
Remember who gave raving reviews on the original racer that were quickly dismissed as pure hype!
February 21, 2018 08:11PM
Well I just got a 600 delivered. Some things impress, others not so much. Still need to do some playing but it's very quick to see FBS still king on deep turf high conductors. Relic/Jewelry/Beach hunters rejoice. Coinshooters have better options CZ, FBS. What I'm really shocked though, Nox, has the best nickel ID I've ever tested in my garden. Yes that included Etrac/CTX (they are now second). Like all detectors, any change in frequency needs a new noise cancel and gb for optimal performance. Hoping a I can figure out how to get more high conductor depth since I like old silver.
February 21, 2018 08:37PM
This might help some folk decide, nailboard test using 11" and the new 6" coil.

[m.facebook.com]
February 21, 2018 08:44PM
ghound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This might help some folk decide, nailboard test u
> sing 11" and the new 6" coil.
>
> [m.facebook.com]
> 791936712&id=100004817922742

yea with the larger nailboard
February 21, 2018 08:46PM
Why get a new detector--Rumor has it that there will no coins,jewelry (esp. small gold chains),relics of any kind,or any Asian with gold teeth----and within the next 6 mos.
February 21, 2018 09:07PM
I think not pushing this as a beach machine with the few machines it has to compete with is a mistake. Ensure its got guts.... and get the cable and phones out... it may sell it in this area. But almost nothing from ML and Tom.....whose tested it here on Fl beaches cant give much insight.
February 21, 2018 09:56PM
88junior Wrote:
> I was interested in them till I seen that the targ
> et ID was similar to the Safari after that I lost
> a lot of interest in it. Now after watching a few
> You Tube videos of it in action I know I made the
> right choice in not getting one. Most of the finds
> on the videos would have been found by machines th
> at I already have. I definitely don't feel like I'
> m missing out on something by not having one. This
> is just my opinion so don't think I am bashing the
> machine I just know it and me wouldn't click.

I watched a video of the 800. Almost sounded like "Jingle Bells" on one particular target. That alone turned me off. What I have suits me fine. I'm a two tone kind of guy.
February 21, 2018 11:30PM
The light weight of the nox is got my attention.......just wait a month or so after all the hype

and get a used one on eBay.
February 21, 2018 11:39PM
Maybe a good time for Tom to jump in and twist the knife......just kidding, lol

I like my 800 so far but my area is frozen...
February 21, 2018 11:44PM
Personally I don't think anyone (aside from the tight lipped field testers) have enough time on an EQ to really demonstrate any kind of wow factor.

For me, I simply need to try one. I know what sites I like to hunt and which ones have challenges, and if this new tool helps me overcome some of those challenges, great, if not, it goes on the Depot or fleabay.

I'm loving the MK for relic hunting, not so much for deep turf park cherry picking. Our beaches are sanded in so neither the MK or EQ will wow anyone at the beach at the moment.

Time will tell, and about the time people start figuring out the EQ, I have zero doubt that Makro, Nokta or someone unexpected will come out with the next latest and greatest waterproof simultaneous multi-frequency mouse trap, or if we're lucky some new technology we haven't had yet that wows everyone.
February 21, 2018 11:49PM
Dirt Dog Wrote:
> I'd take them results with a grain of salt!
> Remember who gave raving reviews on the original racer that were quickly dismissed as pure hype!

Clue us in, who hyped the Red Racer, and how did it fail? I had good luck with it in my pounded spots, it trumped my F75 LTD2 at relic sites, so I'm not seeing the failure you allude to???

I don't have a dog in this race, I simply use what works the best for me at my sites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2018 11:53PM by Cal_cobra.
February 22, 2018 12:53AM
Brian, I've seen you make such statements before. I can honestly state the Red Racer never came close to trumping my F 75 as a old coin hunting unit. And I hunt everyday for four or so hours and I gave the Red Racer a solid 7 months to prove itself. HH jim tn
February 22, 2018 02:44AM
Jim I hear you, obviously our dirt is different, different sites, or other variables are unequal because believe me when I compared the Red Racer/Racer 2 to the F75 LTD2, had the F75 been the trump card, I'd kept it and fleabay'd the Racers.

Like I said above, I don't have a dog in this race, I simply use what works the best for me at my sites. Some of these sites, are remote, and I may only get one chance at detecting it, so I use what's proven to work for me to get the best, repeatable results. One thing I've learned over the years, is not to believe the hype, but rather to test the machine for yourself, in your dirt, at your challenging sites, seeing is believing. . I'm not knocking the F75, I thought it was a pretty good machine for years (bought mine in 2009, still have it), but the truth of the matter is that the proof is in the pudding, and when compared to my hunt buddies, their share of pudding was frequently and consistently larger then mine. After trying a few other machines, I decided to test out the Racer when it was newly introduced to the U.S., and was taken aback as to how good of a machine it was (again at my sites, my dirt) compared to the other machines I'd used up to that point, and I did extensive head-to-head testing to my F75, and without fail the Racers trumped it. We're not even talking about deep coins, some of the targets the F75 was oblivious to were not deep, yet the Racers were able to detect them. Better unmasking, or better at handing mineralization, or (the Achilles tendon of the F75, confirmed w/Dave J and Tom D) god forbid you detect in a relic site with rust flakes, then the F75 doesn't have a chance. I've seen a steady increase in finds, and now when detecting with my friends, my amount of conductors per hunt/site are on par or better in numbers then theirs. Not only that, but my keepers have also increased. What will the EQ800 bring to the table? I'll only be able to answer that once I learn it and take it through it's paces at various sites and through various tests. If the F75 works the best for you, that's awesome, you found your machine, but for others, it may not be the best solution out there.

HH,
Brian
February 22, 2018 03:22AM
You nailed Brian.. Out west the Fisher Tek Detectors fall on their face after about 6ā€..
Racers do better then the Fisher Tek Detectors out here and FBS is king for deep high conductors..
Problem with the FBS is they are terrible in iron.
This Equinox is lightning fast compared to my E-Trac but Iā€™m not sure about ID at depth yet..
I have at least two weeks of hard winter in front of me so it will be awhile before I know what it does in my ground.
It did nail my 8ā€ dime in my garden with no problem..

Bryan
February 22, 2018 06:07AM
I agree with the thought that nobody really has had enough time swinging it just yet to show anything eye popping and mind blowing amazing. Actually, from what I have saw in watching the videos, nobody has really ventured from the factory default settings. As time goes on, it will tell the tale but I really think there will be some nuggets found under the hood of the Equinox, and that will be when it starts to distance itself from the pack.

One video I watched yesterday, done by DirtFishing (Bill) actually did what I am going to do when I get mine. That is, take certain targets and go through all the modes, and note the differences between modes. He doesn't do but a couple example targets in the video but what he does do, is show there is quite a difference in performance from mode to mode. I don't recall him saying what sensitivity level he used for the tests though, so I assume when he says "factory defaults" that he hasn't cranked the sensitivity up.

The two targets he uses are a nickel and a dime.

On the nickel, with everything at factory presets, and just changing the hunt modes....his best mode was Gold 2 in which it air tested a nickel at 15 inches. Compare that to Park 2 where it was 14 inches on the nickel. Now...later in the video he showed the data for when he changes just the factory preset recovery speed and shows the data for that for Park 2 mode. By turning the recovery speed down to 1, his air test numbers jumped to 16 inches vs 14 at factory preset, and at the fastest setting, it was 11 inches.

I wish there were more videos or data like that. For now, it seems everyone doing hunt videos with it, are going for easy clad, and or just doing scenario tests, which I have zero interest in either of those. If somebody like the Hoover boys gets ahold of one and shows them digging a few dozen early coppers and buttons out of farm fields and iron sites, that would be what I wanna watch. If/when I ever get mine, that's the kind of video you will see from me....digging something old.

I like a machine that has the ability to cycle through settings like that; it just makes for a versatile machine, and 14 to 16 inches on a coin is not to shabby either. I know some of you are still saying "meh" and yawning but that's what makes living so great. Everyone has the choice. Not everybody likes the same things and or has the same tastes. Just like a steak...some people like them cooked rare, some like them medium, some like them well done. Some like them with steak sauce. Some say a good steak doesn't need sauce. And some don't like steak at all. Me? Give me a 12-14 oz ribeye cooked medium, and I'm a happy camper.
February 22, 2018 09:01AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I agree with the thought that nobody really has ha
> d enough time swinging it just yet to show anythin
> g eye popping and mind blowing amazing. Actually,
> from what I have saw in watching the videos, nobod
> y has really ventured from the factory default set
> tings. As time goes on, it will tell the tale but
> I really think there will be some nuggets found un
> der the hood of the Equinox, and that will be when
> it starts to distance itself from the pack.
>
> One video I watched yesterday, done by DirtFishing
> (Bill) actually did what I am going to do when I g
> et mine. That is, take certain targets and go thr
> ough all the modes, and note the differences betwe
> en modes. He doesn't do but a couple example targ
> ets in the video but what he does do, is show ther
> e is quite a difference in performance from mode t
> o mode. I don't recall him saying what sensitivity
> level he used for the tests though, so I assume wh
> en he says "factory defaults" that he hasn't crank
> ed the sensitivity up.
>
> The two targets he uses are a nickel and a dime.
>
> On the nickel, with everything at factory presets,
> and just changing the hunt modes....his best mode
> was Gold 2 in which it air tested a nickel at 15 i
> nches. Compare that to Park 2 where it was 14 inc
> hes on the nickel. Now...later in the video he sh
> owed the data for when he changes just the factory
> preset recovery speed and shows the data for that
> for Park 2 mode. By turning the recovery speed do
> wn to 1, his air test numbers jumped to 16 inches
> vs 14 at factory preset, and at the fastest settin
> g, it was 11 inches.
>
> I wish there were more videos or data like that.
> For now, it seems everyone doing hunt videos with
> it, are going for easy clad, and or just doing sce
> nario tests, which I have zero interest in either
> of those. If somebody like the Hoover boys gets a
> hold of one and shows them digging a few dozen ear
> ly coppers and buttons out of farm fields and iron
> sites, that would be what I wanna watch. If/when
> I ever get mine, that's the kind of video you will
> see from me....digging something old.
>
> I like a machine that has the ability to cycle thr
> ough settings like that; it just makes for a versa
> tile machine, and 14 to 16 inches on a coin is not
> to shabby either. I know some of you are still sa
> ying "meh" and yawning but that's what makes livin
> g so great. Everyone has the choice. Not everybo
> dy likes the same things and or has the same taste
> s. Just like a steak...some people like them cook
> ed rare, some like them medium, some like them wel
> l done. Some like them with steak sauce. Some say
> a good steak doesn't need sauce. And some don't li
> ke steak at all. Me? Give me a 12-14 oz ribeye co
> oked medium, and I'm a happy camper.

I'm with you on the steak Daniel. Oh, and your thoughts on the Nox too, LOL

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
February 22, 2018 09:08AM
woodchiphustler Wrote:
> Two many good targets all over the VDI range. It w
> ill take some time to get use to this. As a relic
> hunter I use Field 2 in two tones and dig anything
> above iron. Using the 50 tone option in the iron n
> ail beds is not the way to go in Multi. Since I kn
> ow my ground it is doing well so far. Heavy on the
> coil end but I have to extend the shaft to the end
> being a tall man with short arms. I detect shaft f
> lex. My hand rubs the control box while gripping.M
> y coil will false when striking an object at high
> sensitivity. I would hate to be a park hunter. You
> will need to dig a ton of non ferrous to find good
> low conductive targets. Heading out to relic hunt
> in a few.

George

I believe park hunters should go with notching out 1 and 2 as it appears that is going to be the really tiny foil bits. Need to confirm that myself. ID accuracy in tough co-locates (audio and TID) really is the question isn't it, does it raise the bar sufficiently in that regard? Reports are promising and counting on you.
Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2018 09:12AM by Jackpine.
February 22, 2018 09:17AM
jim tn Wrote:
> I'be been keeping a eye on these latest two water
> proof offerings with the thought of replacing the
> one water proof model I have. And while I feel pre
> tty certain that the Equinox would have a little b
> etter depth, I just don't like some of the things
> I see about the Eq and have decided to hold off, a
> t least for a while. I'm pretty partial to my F 75
> LTD2 DST, anyway, as my main detector. HH jim tn

Jim
My 75 and 705 aren't going anywhere soon. 10"+ in my ground on pennies says so. Where are the dang dimes tho. LOL
Tom

February 22, 2018 09:21AM
One thing...

You can set up the Equinox to run in two tone, hanoverdigger, so not sure why someone showing a video running it in multi-tone would automatically "turn you off," from the unit.

ALSO --

I have no idea why some would state that this machine is going to be "horrible for dirt hunters," as was said earlier in this thread. Maybe it was sarcasm (that I missed,) BUT -- that makes no sense to me. Not that the machine is the be-all, end-all, but no idea why it won't have respectable, if not better, capability for a "dirt hunter" such as myself. My first few hunts on the machine would say to me that the idea of it being "horrible for dirt hunters" is 180 degrees out-of-phase with reality.

Steve

hanoverdigger Wrote:
> 88junior Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was interested in them till I seen that the ta
> rg
> > et ID was similar to the Safari after that I los
> t
> > a lot of interest in it. Now after watching a fe
> w
> > You Tube videos of it in action I know I made th
> e
> > right choice in not getting one. Most of the fin
> ds
> > on the videos would have been found by machines
> th
> > at I already have. I definitely don't feel like
> I'
> > m missing out on something by not having one. Th
> is
> > is just my opinion so don't think I am bashing t
> he
> > machine I just know it and me wouldn't click.
>
> I watched a video of the 800. Almost sounded like
> "Jingle Bells" on one particular target. That alon
> e turned me off. What I have suits me fine. I'm a
> two tone kind of guy.
February 22, 2018 12:26PM
Not horrible for dirt hunters.....Just not enough of a change for dirt hunters to get caught up in the hype and madness of the pre order crap. For beach hunters it's the weight alone that makes it a game changer. But in the end if you are happy with your new purchase that is all that really matters.
February 22, 2018 02:50PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Not horrible for dirt hunters.....Just not enough
> of a change for dirt hunters to get caught up in t
> he hype and madness of the pre order crap.

Now, to me, THAT is a more reasonable point of view...as opposed to "horrible unit for dirt hunters."

If a dirt hunter has a stable of very good machines (say, as just one example, FBS and a Deus and an Impact, for instance), then I would agree that for some of them, the Equinox may not be enough of a "game changer" (in light of the units already in the arsenal) to be standing in line impatiently waiting...

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2018 02:50PM by steveg.
February 22, 2018 03:03PM
The videos are showing me, that the nox don't look like a all great park machine.

the vdi numbers appear to close to each other.
February 22, 2018 03:15PM
Daniel, I was planning on comparing all the modes on my deeper garden targets to compare signals. Unfortunately, I hit my 6-8" coils too good in all modes to tell much difference but can't even touch my 9" and 10" coins no matter what I try. I'm sure they could be hit in Gold (true all metal) mode on an 800 though. The pinpoint is super hot on the Nox so easy to hit with that. But nothing in any disc mode or setting. Although, my EMI is pretty high silent or audible so that could be the issue. It does airtest extremely well. Reminds me of the deus where you could airtest to the moon but in ground...not so much.

The Nox is crazy hot on nickels so relic hunters and low conductor hunts should really love that. It's definitely a direct competitor to deus although I'm not sure it performs better. Like you said, way too early to know. Other than dead on nickel ID on my 7" nickel, better than etrac/ctx, nothing has wowed me yet. Bill and I hope to get out and test quite a bit this weekend.
February 22, 2018 03:30PM
Rob in (ca) Wrote:
> The videos are showing me, that the nox don't loo
> k like a all great park machine.
>
> the vdi numbers appear to close to each other.

frozen ground, saturated ground, cold temperatures, and constant rain is preventing me from doing a decent hunt. I promise to the members here I will try to get the best videos I can when I can.
February 22, 2018 03:58PM
I believe there are machines better for dirt.... its a $900 dirt machine.... BUT..BUT...if it hasnt been watered down it has the potential of being a game changer for water hunters.... that $2500 machine. ML has said..and I posted the email...they want it to be user friendly for the novelist .... if this machine has more potential then isnt factory setting there for that very reason? Its not a micro gold machine... its just not... but it could be a smaller gold machine allowing us to get a lot more gold. How much more who knows.
February 22, 2018 04:19PM
".if it hasnt been watered down"

Dew, you have brought this point up on several different posts across multiple forums. I can say with the utmost certainty, I don't know...yet. However, it seems to me that the evidence is EVER SO SLIGHTLY leaning toward proving your statement correct, but it is way to early to tell.
February 22, 2018 05:06PM
Don't have mine yet but have been reading reports. Could be that the EQ has idiosyncrasies that we're not expecting based on experience with other machines. For example I've seen a report saying that a recovery speed faster than I would have tried gives better results than a slow speed even though faster recovery is supposed to be shallower than slow. Just one example but could be some "weird" settings need to be experimented with.

Just a thought based on scant evidence. confused smiley
February 22, 2018 05:21PM
I gotta be honest here, I have only seen a couple videos where the operator actually looks like they know what they are doing with the nox. Time will tell but I will believe the couple people I follow that state how good the machine is before I give any credance to someone who isnt on camera adjusting setting and knowing what those settings accomplish and have had the machine less than a week....
February 22, 2018 05:43PM
bigboar Wrote:
> I gotta be honest here, I have only seen a couple
> videos where the operator actually looks like they
> know what they are doing with the nox. Time will t
> ell but I will believe the couple people I follow
> that state how good the machine is before I give a
> ny credance to someone who isnt on camera adjustin
> g setting and knowing what those settings accompli
> sh and have had the machine less than a week....

Bill hasn't sold his yet so you know it has pretty good merit. I think as long as people are realistic and realize it's not replacing FBS in the park and coin relm they will appreciate it. The Nox 600 and Kruzer are the clear winners in the $600-700 all-terrain market.
February 22, 2018 06:02PM
Beyonder..... ill tell it like i see it for water hunting once I get one. Quiet. ..mighty quiet on beach hunting. I really hope the next batch of machines are tweaked for serious hunters. I know some really good hunters just itching to get um in the water....but currently without the headphones or cable we are not getting a true view of its potential.