Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

these new detectors and audio gate

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
these new detectors and audio gate
February 22, 2018 09:13PM
Probably a year or two now, Keith was listing detectors, and the types of audio. The three detectors I have owned all had non-open gates...f75, cz6a, G2.

I wish a backup to my F75 for areas with high mineral, and needs to be waterproof. I am pretty certain I could select either a kruzer or equinox and be quite content.

I do not wish to assume that just because Kruzer is from Makro, it has an open audio like the racers...does it?

Does the equinox have an open gate similar to Makros, or more like the F75 with the sampling in disc mode?

Is it not that simple?

Thanks.
Re: these new detectors and audio gate
February 24, 2018 11:20AM
It's my belief from what I have read so far on the Nox that 50 tones is more telling, but like a lot of people I can't deal with the audio using 50 tones on a detector. I won't know for sure till I get one and that is a couple months off now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
Re: these new detectors and audio ga
February 24, 2018 12:38PM
Rod I have Impact, have run Racers, F75s, your question about Equinox audio, a good one.

My take on Equinox audio.
Best I Have ever heard.
It is not bleedy. Does roll though which is good.
Not zippy sounding like Nokta's, Makro's or Deus.

Imo easier to decipher for me.
Audio is in its own league for a detector that separates so well.

Only way I can describe really, more full tones on nonferrous targets (even smaller nonferrous.) in seas of iron. Audio is not cramped or clunky sounding even when the coil is passing over loads on different valued nonferrous conductive. Speed setting can hurt or help with quality of audio reported depending on site and coil movement speed.
Modulation of tones though, not much there. On the 4" and shallower tone will be more blaring, mid to somewhat deeper no real way to decipher tonally.. The deepest detectable tone volumes weakens some.

Audio on Equinox imo easier to run 50 tones( full tones) and turn the loose in modern trash site and user can still pick out higher conductors.
I have not run any notch or disc in nonferrous range, and have been very successful in finding high conductive coins in polluted sites.

Don't know how Minelab did what they did. But I love the audio of Equinox.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 01:13PM by tnsharpshooter.
February 24, 2018 01:04PM
Great description, tnxharpshooter. I concur with everything you said. Overall, I love the audio. My only real complaint is the lack of much modulation. It's there, but not much until you get real deep. That wouldn't be a problem except that the visual depth gauge is also not very accurate or fast, so it's sometimes hard to tell the depth of a target "on the fly" without switching to pinpoint mode and checking the target with the VCO pinpoint audio which works really well.

It's hard to classify the audio as "open" or "closed" since Minelab audio is so unique with its "flutey" sound, but I would say it's more closed gate like the F75 rather than open-gate zippy or "sparky", to borrow Keith's term. But thankfully, the processor is so fast that it can operate in the heavy trash and still have closed gate smooth and stable audio without losing much in its ability to communicate what's under the coil. And unlike most detectors where I can't stand a large number of audio tones, like on the V3i, the 50 tones on the Equinox work really well and are very pleasant to the ear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 01:08PM by wayfarer.
February 24, 2018 03:59PM
I only have 6 hrs on my EQ800, best way for me to describe audio, is very fast, very clean . No snap , crackle, pop.
Running in 5 tones, I adjust the iron and alum segments low volume, with the coin segments hi vol. Very easy on the ears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2018 04:02PM by possum mo.
February 24, 2018 04:54PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I do not wish to assume that just because Kruzer i
> s from Makro, it has an open audio like the racers
> ...does it?
>

Yes the Kruzer has an open audio gate or real time target audio, not the snapshot audio/target ID like F75, etc.