Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox Frequencies?

Posted by mascard1 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox Frequencies?
February 28, 2018 05:28PM
It says in the manual..that the 600..only uses 3 frequencies in Multi....and 5 frequencies on the 800?

Multi-IQ Technology

EQUINOX 600 offers 3 single frequencies of 5 kHz, 10
kHz, 15 kHz in addition to Multi, giving a 3 times (×3)
range or ratio from 5 kHz to 15 kHz, hence the 3F×3
technology designation.
EQUINOX 800 offers 5 single frequencies of 5 kHz, 10
kHz, 15 kHz, 20 kHz, and 40 kHz in addition to Multi,
giving an expanded 8 times (×8) range or ratio from 5
kHz to 40 kHz.
Re: Equinox Frequencies?
February 28, 2018 06:07PM
It doesn't say that it uses 5 frequencies in Multi. Be very careful how you interpret marketing literature. While it would be easy to say that an oscilloscope (or similar) would show what freqs are used in the various modes, it's not necessarily that simple. The machine may transmit 3 frequencies all the time, even when it's in a 'single-frequency' mode. It may transmit 5 frequencies, but only use two of them for a multi-freq mode. This cannot be seen with a 'scope.

Now they are in real customer's hands, it may be possible to do a bit of engineering snooping .... use another detectors' coil as a 'pickup coil', feed the signal into a sound-card line-level input of a PC, and use a 'Scope'/datalogger program to capture what's transmitted. I've used some German freeware called SpekOszi before for this, it worked well (on an XP machine)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 08:17PM by Pimento.
February 28, 2018 06:14PM
Multi is exactly the same on 600 and 800.
February 28, 2018 06:54PM
Take a look on page 29....... the fine print under the chart showing sensitivity/freq. They both use the same Multi freq ranges.

Dew
February 28, 2018 09:32PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take a look on page 29....... the fine print under
> the chart showing sensitivity/freq. They both us
> e the same Multi freq ranges.
>
> Dew

Lost me there. I don't think they are the same. Take a look at the chart on page 30 and the fine print under that chart. I don't know, I am probably missing something in the verbiage but if 20 and 40 don't apply how can they be the same. I hope someone can explain this and straighten me out if I'm wrong.

I was thinking of getting the 600 but according to the chat on page 30 fine gold would be missed if not using the 800.

El
February 28, 2018 10:18PM
your page 30 appears to be my page 29. I believe we are looking at the same chart. The 600 does NOT have the 20 and 40 khz available as single freqs..... so perhaps neither uses those freqs in Multi...... OR..... both have them as selection choices to what ever freqs the machine chooses to use. But it does seem to say BOTH use the same multi freq.

Dew
February 28, 2018 10:20PM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It doesn't say that it uses 5 frequencies in Multi
> . Be very careful how you interpret marketing lite
> rature. While it would be easy to say that an osci
> lloscope (or similar) would show what freqs are us
> ed in the various modes, it's not necessarily that
> simple. The machine may transmit 3 frequenc
> ies all the time, even when it's in a 'single-freq
> uency' mode. It may transmit 5 frequencies, but on
> ly use two of them for a multi-freq mode. This can
> not be seen with a 'scope.
>
> Now they are in real customer's hands, it may be p
> ossible to do a bit of engineering snooping ....
> use another detectors' coil as a 'pickup coil', fe
> ed the signal into a sound-card line-level input o
> f a PC, and use a 'Scope'/datalogger program to ca
> pture what's transmitted. I've used some German fr
> eeware called SpekOszi before for this, it worked
> well (on an XP machine)

Excellent info as always,but I'm afraid you are going to break a lot of"groupies" hearts.
February 28, 2018 11:53PM
I've kept away from most of the pre-release speculation threads, but now it's actually 'out there', there's the chance of getting some more definite facts. So pointing out some of the possibilities, and the problems you'll encounter when actually scrutinising the machine, seem more worthwhile now.

I'm personally curious about the 'multifrequency gold modes'. 20K and 40K could use either 10K or 5K (or both) to create multi-freq operation. But it could be done with 20K & 40 K alone, though they are a bit close (ratio-wise). The problem with having two frequencies close together is that as well as not letting you cancel out the ground signal so effectively, they also reduce the target signal strength, as targets respond less distinctly at the two freqs.

I'm wondering if Whites/FT/NokMak etc have an Equinox or two in bits in their labs yet....