Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Shovels in City, County and State Parks

Posted by u2robert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Shovels in City, County and State Parks
September 12, 2018 02:14PM
so right, Ozzie..

The last ranger that stopped me at unnamed park, checked my permit...

Since he made me walk all the way across the field to him, I decided to ask him some questions.

If i find a spot I want to dig...and it is right near the main walking path...and you start getting phone calls...will that be a problem? His answer....Will you have your permit on you? I said, yes. He said...Dig a 20 foot hole if you like, and good luck...but you better have that permit on you smiling smiley

not that i plan too..but lol.
September 13, 2018 12:48AM
Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....
> . He said...Dig a 20 foot hole if you like, and g
> ood luck...

I'll bet you dollars to donuts, that if I went to that exact same park's dept, and said : "Hi, can I dig a 20 ft. hole in the park ? " (or ... for that matter, ANY hole, even if only 1" deep), that they would say "no".

Which goes to show that it's arbitrary, subjective, and whimsical. Therefore .... sorry to say.... I will not play Russian Roulette. I will simply avoid being seen by someone who might-not-like it.
September 13, 2018 11:47AM
For the most part, people in this area of PA mind their own business. Some are curious and will ask detector related questions especially moms with their kids....all good.
Occasionally a ranger with a Napoleon complex will stop to push your buttons. You can tell by their look and facial expressions, then they open their mouths. Their the ones to "yes sir", "no sir" too, show your permit so they can move on, but it's a rarity.

I use to not care about hunting around park goers, but now I naturally want to be unseen and would rather hunt a cellar hole in the woods or fields....or get permission on private property. I have old worn out wrists and don't like digging with a hand trowel....a small blade shovel is my preferred tool and I dig nicer plugs with it being sharp. I will use the hand trowel if necessary.