Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Customized sand scoop by Tom in Ca.

Posted by Anonymous User 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anonymous User
Customized sand scoop by Tom in Ca.
May 06, 2015 07:44PM
Check this out. ---[www.youtube.com]
Re: Customized sand scoop by Tom in Ca.
May 06, 2015 10:02PM
That's well thought out. If I lived near a beach, I'd call that a 'must have'.

smiling smiley
mike
May 06, 2015 10:26PM
I love when it's thought out...then works like a charm....just love it.
May 06, 2015 10:31PM
For dry sand a long handled floral shovel with a rope handle on it works well....Just drag the shovel behind you to tell you where you have detected and when you get a hit drive the shovel in the sand and kick it forward and spread the sand and usually you can see the target...I find bending over to get target is easier than shaking out over and over.
Certainly an ingenius mod but to each his own..Sometime simplicity is where its at. Don't hunt sand beaches anymore but an oldtimer showed me his method and if you don't know what a floral shovel is visit your local hardware store as you just might like the method. A plus is after scooping over and over the tip gets real sharp and easily driven in the sand.
PS: certainly not for working even in the shallow water....
May 07, 2015 01:10AM
Hi Kemper, How dose the arm cuff go on the top? I can see the handle that clamps on, but can,t see how the top cuff gose on. Can you post better pic ? Thanks flintstone
Anonymous User
May 07, 2015 01:30AM
Flintstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Kemper, How dose the arm cuff go on the top? I
> can see the handle that clamps on, but can,t see
> how the top cuff gose on. Can you post better pic
> ? Thanks flintstone

All I know is what I see in the video. I could probably find out or I'm sure if someone fro one of the other main forums would PM him he would gladly answer. I was thinking the handle was welded on so I'll have to look again.
May 07, 2015 01:59AM
Why no filling holes?
Anonymous User
May 07, 2015 02:15AM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Why no filling holes?

They were probably filled. He did have someone with him so I think between the two of them they were taken care of. I hope he didn't fill them himself. I mean, Einstein didn't sweep up did he ?
May 07, 2015 02:37AM
Thats Tom T. Good guy. Can find him on kinzli forum...he shares info freely.
Anonymous User
May 07, 2015 02:45AM
deathray Wrote:
> Thats Tom T. Good guy. Can find him on kinzli
> forum...he shares info freely.

Agree and he can also be found and reached through Tnet and Friendly.
May 07, 2015 02:46AM
Well, it's not a new concept. I built one out of extra Whites rods, handles, arm cup, etc, about 20 years ago. I think it is still out in the garage. I used mine in the dry sand on the central Oregon coast. Trust me, it works very well. You can move a lot of sand with very little effort. Jeff
May 07, 2015 03:04AM
I think i am going to do that mod to my rtg scoop. Going on my annual st.augustine trip in early june and that looks alot easier than how i have to handle mine. I am no beach hunter though and only get to do it one week a year..
May 07, 2015 07:39AM
Takes to much time to find the target. Part of the reason I detect is the exercise so I don't mind bending over or doing a squat to stick a pin pointer in the sand to locate a target quickly and get to the next one. Also the ET hits so many small targets and I leave my glass in my pocket so I need the PP to find them. Lots of targets in the sand in the Myrtle Beach area. I dig all non ferrous targets in the sand so the law of averages is on my side. As much adult beverages being drank here as in Panama City. So many beer caps and tabs it just sucks. Lost 17 lbs when I first started and my weight has remained in the same area as long as I keep active when detecting. I use a small shovel in dry sand but I spend more time looking for troughs at low tide and use a SS scoop I had custom made. Looks like the scoops you would get from overseas. Nothing escapes this behemoth. I have lost signals to sinking in the wet sand so 1 to 2 scoops and the target is mine with this scoop. A little heavy even with all the holes but it really gets the job done. Will post the rings I have found so far this year tomorrow. HH JR
May 07, 2015 01:29PM
Detecting MO, I don,t think he was showing how to fill holes, he was showing the scoop. If you need help with filling holes I am sure he can show you.
May 07, 2015 02:49PM
As far as filling holes if working the tide out no reason to do so as when it comes in nature and the tide fills them...If not by all means holes should be filled.

Again very nice setup but never liked shaking the scoop which is tiresome and tough on the arm. Some areas even in tide areas holes have to be filled so know your beach regs...
May 07, 2015 06:58PM
I kind of picked on his PPing already lol. Maybe I been at this to long but that was a lot of effort. Everyone finds what works for them. Since im in and out of the water during a given hunt....for me my long handle works best with less bending over than that.