Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ coil pin-out

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ coil pin-out
April 01, 2011 01:04PM
Someone asked this question a while ago.

The following applies to the 5", 8" and 10.5" CZ coils:

Pins 1 & 2 (white wire and shield) is the Receive coil. ((( This is the 'inner' smaller coil )))
Pins 3 & 4 (red wire and shield) is the Transmit coil. ((( This is the 'outer' larger coil )))
Pin 5 is Grnd
Re: CZ coil pin-out
April 01, 2011 05:38PM
Tom, do you happen to know the resistance (ohms) of each coil winding?

Thanks
Tom in SC
April 01, 2011 09:43PM
Thanks Tom.

I'm going to experiment with making a digital meter for the CZ from a multimeter smiling smiley
April 02, 2011 01:05PM
Pins 1 & 2 (Rcv coil) is approx 35-Ohms
Pins 3 & 4 (Xmt coil) is approx 3.5-Ohms

Yes............you will see (some) differences between different coils.
April 02, 2011 09:12PM
Just wondering why some of you would want to build a digital meter? Is the analog meter not accurate?? I heard it was pretty darned correct on coins.
April 02, 2011 10:04PM
I hunt almost exclusively by audio tones and audio intelligence. I hardly pay no mind to ID/VDI readings.
April 03, 2011 01:16AM
I have a digital CZ-70 Pro and it doesn't have a meter, it has four tones and target icons. I too mostly listen to the audio (listening hard for those deep, faint silver "pings" smiling smiley

I used to tinker around with a lot of electronics projects making my own PC boards, hobbling together all kinds of gadgets. I saw a project someone did for the Minelab Sovereign to make a "poor mans" digital meter out of a Digital multimeter, and thought it would be fun to try to come up with one for the CZ as well. It would be beneficial as the CZ-70 lumps pennies, dimes and quarters all into the same target icon.
July 07, 2011 01:53AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone asked this question a while ago.
>
> The following applies to the 5", 8" and 10.5" CZ
> coils:
>
> Pins 1 & 2 (white wire and shield) is the Receive
> coil. ((( This is the 'inner' smaller coil )))
> Pins 3 & 4 (red wire and shield) is the Transmit
> coil. ((( This is the 'outer' larger coil )))
> Pin 5 is Grnd

OK lets go slow for the dummy,,,,, pin 1+ white wire shield,,,,pin #2 white wire center,,pin #3 red wire shield,,,,pin #4 red wire center,,, I see no wire for the ground and when I put my ohm meter on I get zero when going from pin 1 to 2, or pin 3 to 4 HELP !!! please
July 07, 2011 05:33AM
wurthless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NASA-Tom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Someone asked this question a while ago.
> >
> > The following applies to the 5", 8" and 10.5"
> CZ
> > coils:
> >
> > Pins 1 & 2 (white wire and shield) is the
> Receive
> > coil. ((( This is the 'inner' smaller coil )))
> > Pins 3 & 4 (red wire and shield) is the
> Transmit
> > coil. ((( This is the 'outer' larger coil )))
> > Pin 5 is Grnd
>
> OK lets go slow for the dummy,,,,, pin 1+ white
> wire shield,,,,pin #2 white wire center,,pin #3
> red wire shield,,,,pin #4 red wire center,,, I see
> no wire for the ground and when I put my ohm meter
> on I get zero when going from pin 1 to 2, or pin 3
> to 4 HELP !!! please

The shield and metal connector housing should be the ground.
July 07, 2011 06:06AM
Measuring from Pin 1 to Pin 2.....should present very little resistance..........as you are measuring only wire (a coil of wire). Same with measuring between pins 3 & 4.
July 07, 2011 06:08AM
I had my meter on the wrong setting, getting good readings now,,,, but still need to clarify ,,,, "shield and metal connector housing should be the ground" is this the thin metal strip that crimps to the outside of the entire cable , and then rubs against the outer part of the plug,? put a wire from there to the ground pin? Is there a picture I can see? Sorry to be so inept
July 08, 2011 02:14AM
Braided shield to pin 5. Some coils have this......some do not.
November 10, 2018 04:28AM
Whew! Just searched for this post for almost 2 hrs! I KNEW it was here somewhere dammit! Lol,, This site is kinda like a 'Chilton's' manual for me!! But everytime I search for something I get side-tracked on all the other 'good-reads' ,,,
November 10, 2018 05:52PM
Good info and can see someone making their own which would indicate penny, dime, quarter, half...have two shoe boxes of old corroded wheat pennies from high tone..

Remember these pins are closes together and tough to solder so if you don't have equipment or expertise have them done professionally...