Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Has the Equinox made all single vlf machines obsolete??

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Has the Equinox made all single vlf machines obsolete??
March 23, 2018 05:43PM
Looks like I might have to jump on the Nox bandwagon myself then. Need a water machine anyway. cool smiley
March 23, 2018 08:16PM
beastdig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like I might have to jump on the Nox bandwag
> on myself then. Need a water machine anyway. cool smiley

Take a number...... get in line with the rest of us poor SOB's agonizing..... suffering without....... waiting.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
March 24, 2018 11:19AM
I would like to see the Equinox tested against a Whites V3i as this is the detector that Minelab have ripped of.
March 24, 2018 11:53AM
I wish a experienced V3I user would come by and test his machine for me. I sure don't have time to get a degree to run that thing...
March 24, 2018 11:53AM
Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant Wrote:
> beastdig Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Looks like I might have to jump on the Nox bandw
> ag
> > on myself then. Need a water machine anyway.
> cool smiley
>
>
> Take a number...... get in line with the rest of u
> s poor SOB's agonizing..... suffering without.....
> .. waiting.

Hoping the early adopters will get the first batch of buggy units out of the way, if there are any.
March 24, 2018 12:47PM
dazmond66 Wrote:
> I would like to see the Equinox tested against a W
> hites V3i as this is the detector that Minelab hav
> e ripped of.

Please, do tell. How did ML rip off Whites? Thanks.

Dean
March 24, 2018 03:49PM
bado1 Wrote:
> dazmond66 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would like to see the Equinox tested against a
> W
> > hites V3i as this is the detector that Minelab h
> av
> > e ripped of.
>
>
> Please, do tell. How did ML rip off Whites? Thank
> s.
>
> Dean

The multi frequency technology is an adaptation of the the Whites technology its not fbs or bbs it runs on a set number of frequencies and also gives you the option to run each of the frequencies on there own like the Whites a technology which minelab have openly slated in the past,
March 24, 2018 04:05PM
I'll check that out. Thanks.

Dean
March 24, 2018 04:59PM
Making other single VLF machines obsolete is marketing b.s. I would expect to (and did) hear from the manufacturer, but not from users who aren't trying to curry favor with Minelab.

That is not a knock on the Equinox. The consensus from most users so far are very positive.

Nor is it a knock on Calabash who has made a ton of posts and videos of his experiences, sharing the knowledge he has gleaned. Quite frankly, Calabash, I don't know how you find the time. You must be either retired, unemployed, no family, no non-detecting friends, or some combination of those. Regardless of the reason, you are obsessive about metal detecting and in a relatively short time you have made quite a name for yourself to the benefit of the rest of us in the detecting community. Your dedication impresses me a lot, I just wish you'd lighten up on the hyperbole.
March 24, 2018 05:32PM
Dazmond66, with respect, the Equinox is not a “rip off” of any detector. It’s design in hardware and software is wholly Minelabs. It shares features with the Whites V3i, like the choice between single and multifrequency operation, but electronically and software wise - it’s is all Minelab’s work.

The V3i was a great idea, let down by a clumsy user interface and a bland set of preset programs mainly designed to keep inexperienced users out to trouble.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 24, 2018 05:49PM
I basically have the winter off . We own our on business and it thrives off the summertime tourist trade.. So I'm tied up in the summer but free to do as I please in the winter. I'm gonna start another thread and hope to have a good discussion about mulit vs single freq machines. I think the word obsolete causes to many bad feelings . Imarcomo Wrote:
> Making other single VLF machines obsolete is marke
> ting b.s. I would expect to (and did) hear from th
> e manufacturer, but not from users who aren't tryi
> ng to curry favor with Minelab.
>
> That is not a knock on the Equinox. The consensus
> from most users so far are very positive.
>
> Nor is it a knock on Calabash who has made a ton o
> f posts and videos of his experiences, sharing the
> knowledge he has gleaned. Quite frankly, Calabas
> h, I don't know how you find the time. You must b
> e either retired, unemployed, no family, no non-de
> tecting friends, or some combination of those. Re
> gardless of the reason, you are obsessive about me
> tal detecting and in a relatively short time you h
> ave made quite a name for yourself to the benefit
> of the rest of us in the detecting community. You
> r dedication impresses me a lot, I just wish you'd
> lighten up on the hyperbole.
March 24, 2018 06:03PM
I hadn't thought about that scenario, Calabash. You will be missed come the summer!
March 24, 2018 11:14PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> I think the word obsolete causes to many bad feelings .

It shouldn't but some people need powder for their saggy soggy bottoms.

calabash digger.....I don't have to tell you "don't change a thing you are doing"
I'm confident that you're going to continue to preset these fine observations, reviews and comparisons without censoring yourself or toning it down.
Keep it all on 10, everyone is welcome to change the channel or discuss the findings in an adult manner,,,,,,right ?

Based upon what you've shown us...... Obsolete... mostly but not completely.
The past technology is still viable, albeit with less performance in some areas compared to the current technology.
We could say "soon to be obsolete" "antiquated and soon to be for sale on eBay".

Eventually even diehard CZ users like myself find that it is time to move to the next level...or two....
I still use my CZ3D.... a unit still being sold but alas, a legacy machine by today's standards..... its obsolete but my feelings don't get hurt.
Its a mere matter of time before everyone gravitates to the new tech that ML has unleashed.
If its not ML it will be another mfg.

I'll bet that the other detector manufactures are seeing the "NOX phenomena" as a challenge that must be met.
If they don't get in the game soon and step up to the plate at this level, they will pay for it later.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
March 24, 2018 11:57PM
I think its the future for our hobby. I think what you said is exactly right (soon to be) as in the near future. We should be excited as a whole group but we have memories we have made with certain detectors. I'm not gonna sell my deus .unless...and then I might just hang it on the wall and point at it and tell the grandkids she did me well back in the day and found some great stuff!
March 25, 2018 06:48AM
ghound Wrote:
> Aside as to how the Nox performs, 2 of the dealers
> i know have told me that they have barely sold any
> other brands since the Nox came out, for them it h
> as obsoleted much of their stock of non minelab de
> tectors.

Presumably, obsoletes non Nox Minelab detectors as well.
I'll end up with one after the hoopla dies down and when it proves itself capable in the water without dying.
March 25, 2018 01:10PM
calabash digger Wrote:

> I think the word obsolete causes to many bad feelings.

Well then you might consider using it a bit less? It's just a word. Doesn't mean a damn thing. But it creates anger and resentment where it doesn't need to be. Just do your tests and film your hunts and let the results speak for themselves.
Don't get me wrong, I find your videos informative and you do a great job with the technical aspects of them.
Head to head comparisons are not easily accomplished that don't ruffle some feathers, but if you dial down the preaching and let viewers reach their own conclusions, I think that will be just as effective and a less bitter pill for some to swallow.

Do you head to SC for all your detecting, or is some of it (videoed) in NC?

Wayne
March 25, 2018 01:48PM
That's not my style Wayne...I don't make my living like some do from detecting so it doesn't matter to me if they buy one or not really. I just like to show the facts as I see them from my test results. I don't do this to satisfy everyone else, I do it because I enjoy it. If I shot a video and didn't say a word in it but showed it whooping their beloved unit it . They would still gripe, cry, complain, and say you should have done it this way or that way .

I hunt in my county and also go down to the low country some..
March 25, 2018 02:32PM
The word creates anger and resentment because few seem to know the definition of the word.

Obsolete: No longer in general use, fallen into disuse, of an old kind or style no longer used, old fashioned.

From reading their posts, many posters here, and on other forums, are under the misconception that it means their old detectors will no longer work the same due to being made "obsolete". Nope. Not what it means. When something becomes obsolete its because you don't use it any more or use it as much. It's a users own actions (or lack thereof) that cause obsolescence of an item. Usually because something serves that particular function "better" came along. "Better" is, of course, subjective. Be it lighter, faster, more convenient, more ergonomic, whatever. It is you, the user, that decides whether or not an item becomes obsolete. It does not mean that the "old" item functions less than it did before.

I won't open threads that are titled, " My obsolete XYZ detector just found this!" The ignorant poster(s) is being spiteful and is trying to instigate a negative response while, at the same time, revealing their own insecurity in their equipment. It is the user that decides the fate (obsolescence) of their equipment.

In my case the Equinox did indeed make some of my machines obsolete to me. I just wont use them anymore because the Equinox does it as good or better in a more convenient package. It is a one stop shop. No more lugging around two or more detectors and multiple coils.

A funny thing... without you even realizing it, many of your new detector purchases, regardless of brand "obsoleted" your previous detector. How many of you bought a new machine and your old machine was relegated to "back up" (obsolete) status and saw very little use after that and then got sold because it had become "obsolete" (unused)? Food for thought.

Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2018 02:45PM by bado1.
March 25, 2018 02:39PM
Good write up and well said..
March 25, 2018 02:41PM
Dean -- I raise my glass to you for that last post. You can drop the mic and walk off stage lol. I could hear that song "Here comes the BOOM" playing in the background. Haha.
March 25, 2018 02:46PM
bado1 Wrote:
> The word creates anger and resentment because few
> seem to know the definition of the word.
>
> Obsolete: No longer in general use, fallen into di
> suse, of an old kind or style no longer used, old
> fashioned.
>
> From reading their posts, many posters here, and o
> n other forums, are under the misconception that i
> t means their old detectors will no longer work th
> e same due to being made "obsolete". Nope. Not wha
> t it means. When something becomes obsolete its be
> cause you don't use it any more or use it as much.
> It's a users own actions (or lack thereof) that ca
> use obsolescence of an item. Usually because somet
> hing serves that particular function "better" came
> along. "Better" is, of course, subjective. Be it l
> ighter, faster, more convenient, more ergonomic, w
> hatever. It is you, the user, that decides whether
> or not an item becomes obsolete. It does not mean
> that the "old" item functions less than it did bef
> ore.
>
> I won't open threads that are titled, " My obsolet
> e XYZ detector just found this!" The ignorant pos
> ter(s) is being spiteful and is trying to instigat
> e a negative response while, at the same time, rev
> ealing their own insecurity in their equipment. It
> is the user that decides the fate (obsolescence) o
> f their equipment.
>
> In my case the Equinox did indeed make some of my
> machines obsolete to me. I just wont use th
> em anymore because the Equinox does it as good or
> better in a more convenient package. It is a one s
> top shop. No more lugging around two or more detec
> tors and multiple coils.
>
> A funny thing... without you even realizing it, ma
> ny of your new detector purchases, regardless of b
> rand "obsoleted" your previous detector. How many
> of you bought a new machine and your old machine w
> as relegated to "back up" (obsolete) status and sa
> w very little use after that and then got sold bec
> ause it had become "obsolete"? Food for thought.
>
> Dean

Dean.
One of the top post here in last 6 months.
And it doesn't surprise me either, coming from you of all people.
March 26, 2018 12:45AM
Interesting thoughts, Dean. I would differ with you on a couple things.

First of all, I don't think what you call personal obsolescense has any relevance to the dictionary definition of obsolescense. If I quit using one detector and start using a different one, that detector I quit using doesn't become obsolete unless virtually everyone else quits using it too. Obsolescense defines the cumulative result of what an entire group of users does, not me personally.

VLF detectors made TR and BFO technology essentially obsolete. I don't see that as being the case with the Equinox. I haven't used one, but reports are very good. I am definitely not anti-Equinox. And I'm not contending that the Nox isn't an advancement in detector design.

For the sake of argument, let's say that most people who use the Nox will say it is their favorite non-FBS detector. That still doesn't make other single frequency detectors obsolete as long as others are buying them and using them. When folks by and large stop buying and using them, then they are truly obsolete.

One thing for sure, technology is always evolving. You can safely bet that at some point all of the detectors we use today will become, for all practical purposes, obsolete.
March 26, 2018 01:37AM
>
> I won't open threads that are titled, " My obsolet
> e XYZ detector just found this!" The ignorant pos
> ter(s) is being spiteful and is trying to instigat
> e a negative response while, at the same time, rev
> ealing their own insecurity in their equipment. It

Ouch, directed to me I'm guessing.
You seem a bit overly anal about the whole thing, I was poking fun more at a cheesy, gimmicky marketing ploy by Minelab than trying to make any point or twist any fanboys panties in a bunch.
I have 0 "insecurity about my equipment", you seem to be pulling this from your arse as you go.
I have a Ace 400, Racer 2, AT Pro and am very secure - If the Nox comes close to living up to its hype and doesn't leak like a sieve, I'll have one of those too by mid summer.
These are simple tools to facilitate finding metal objects in the ground, not some status symbol - Guys like you seem almost cultish in their beliefs, like we are on the verge of finding a cure for cancer here or something.

As to you "won't be opening any threads titled My obsolet e XYZ detector just found this!", then don't - Apparently, you can't if all you ever use is your beloved, sacred Nox.
Talk about insecure, sheesh !

> In my case the Equinox did indeed make some of my
> machines obsolete to me. I just wont use th
> em anymore
> Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 01:38AM by Xray.
March 26, 2018 02:42AM
marcomo Wrote:
> Interesting thoughts, Dean. I would differ with y
> ou on a couple things.
>
> First of all, I don't think what you call personal
> obsolescense has any relevance to the dictionary d
> efinition of obsolescense. If I quit using one de
> tector and start using a different one, that detec
> tor I quit using doesn't become obsolete unless vi
> rtually everyone else quits using it too. Obsoles
> cense defines the cumulative result of what an ent
> ire group of users does, not me personally.
>
> VLF detectors made TR and BFO technology essential

Some good points, Marcomo.

We will agree to disagree on the personal obsolescence point. All that matters to any company, in this case Minelab, is that they get each purchaser to "obsolete" their other detectors one user at a time. Obsolescence never happens as a mass movement. Not everyone gave up the horse and buggy at the same time (cumulative) when automobiles were introduced but they were obsolete to anybody who owned an automobile. Obsolescence is a slow and steady realization by the masses that something better exists. It does not happen over night. Some will be very slow due to financial or "just not that interested" reasons. I know people who still use a flip phone...arguably obsolete... just ask anybody that uses a smart phone (personal). Smart phones did not replace flip phones over night but it was quite obvious that flip phones were obsolete the moment smart phones hit the market. Obsolescence, as you are referring to (cumulative), happens when "critical mass" is achieved. That takes some time, as I mentioned.

My whole point is that many on these forums do not know the definition of "obsolete". They get all worked up that Minelab used it as part of their marketing campaign stating that the Equinox would obsolete all other single frequency detectors (causing their other SF detectors to fall in to disuse). What a stroke of genius with some common sense mixed in! Why buy a new detector unless it is going to obsolete what you already have! ? Isn't that what we all hope for when we buy a new machine? A common thread on these forums is that users are tired of the same old tech re-packaged in to a "plus" version or whatever version. So why anybody would get upset that a machine from any company would obsolete any and all SF detectors is beyond me. We should all be hoping for this machine, yes? And why doesn't the Equinox fit that bill currently?

The Amish and a few others are still buying and using horse and buggies. Flip phones are still being bought and used...both are obsolete.

Your bet is a safe one. It will be exciting to see what will come in the (hopefully near) future!

Great post. Thanks!

Dean

> ly obsolete. I don't see that as being the case w
> ith the Equinox. I haven't used one, but reports
> are very good. I am definitely not anti-Equinox.
> And I'm not contending that the Nox isn't an advan[/b]
> cement in detector design.
>
> For the sake of argument, let's say that most peop
> le who use the Nox will say it is their favorite n
> on-FBS detector. That still doesn't make other s
> ingle frequency detectors obsolete as long as othe
> rs are buying them and using them. When folks by
> and large stop buying and using them, then they ar
> e truly obsolete.
>
> One thing for sure, technology is always evolving.
> You can safely bet that at some point all of the d
> etectors we use today will become, for all practic
> al purposes, obsolete.
March 26, 2018 03:04AM
Xray Wrote:
> >
> > I won't open threads that are titled, " My obsol
> et
> > e XYZ detector just found this!" The ignorant p
> os
> > ter(s) is being spiteful and is trying to instig
> at
> > e a negative response while, at the same time, r
> ev
> > ealing their own insecurity in their equipment.
> It
>
>
> Ouch, directed to me I'm guessing.
> You seem a bit overly anal about the whole thing,
> I was poking fun more at a cheesy, gimmicky market
> ing ploy by Minelab than trying to make any point
> or twist any fanboys panties in a bunch.
> I have 0 "insecurity about my equipment", you seem
> to be pulling this from your arse as you go.
> I have a Ace 400, Racer 2, AT Pro and am very secu
> re - If the Nox comes close to living up to its hy
> pe and doesn't leak like a sieve, I'll have one of
> those too by mid summer.
> These are simple tools to facilitate finding metal
> objects in the ground, not some status symbol - Gu
> ys like you seem almost cultish in their beliefs,
> like we are on the verge of finding a cure for can
> cer here or something.
>
> As to you "won't be opening any threads titled My
> obsolet e XYZ detector just found this!", then don
> 't - Apparently, you can't if all you ever use is
> your beloved, sacred Nox.
> Talk about insecure, sheesh !
>
> > In my case the Equinox did indeed make some of m
> y
> > machines obsolete to me. I just wont use
> th
> > em anymore
> > Dean

Nope, not directed at you. Why? Did you think you were the first to think up such a witty title to your thread? I appreciate your concern for me... don't worry... I won't. I don't just use the Nox, sheesh! Get back to us in mid summer and let us know what you think of the Nox. Also, include how much you use your other detectors... or not. Sorry I exposed your insecurities, so much so, that you felt compelled to respond to my post and defend your lame thread title.

All vitriol aside, you hunt with some excellent machines.

Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 03:17AM by bado1.
March 26, 2018 06:26AM
Excellent points, Dean.

I guess the question is whether the Equinox is to all other single frequency detectors like the auto was to the horse.

Mark your calendar for five or ten years from now and, God willing, we'll see where obsolescense stands.
March 26, 2018 09:52AM
Currently I have 4 machines (used to be 5) with 2 to 4 coils each, and no favorite among them. All to try and eke out a few more finds and that I feel is where a lot of us are today, too many machines and a multitude of coils.

The Deus, Etrac and CTX were not in my sights because I felt the price to performance ratio did not justify. Notka/Makro has some good machines but they did not fit my hearing for iron hunting. Over a year ago I told my hunting buddy that I'm not buying another d*mn machine until something different and better comes along. Well I should have starting selling off last September but it's too late. Nobody wants my obsolete machines now. LOL

Hopefully the Changer will be in my hands by the time things thaw out to discover if it is THE ONE.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 26, 2018 10:26AM
>
>
> Nope, not directed at you. Why? Did you think you
> were the first to think up such a witty title to y
> our thread? I appreciate your concern for me... do
> n't worry... I won't. I don't just use the Nox, sh
> eesh! Get back to us in mid summer and let us know
> what you think of the Nox. Also, include how much
> you use your other detectors... or not. Sorry I ex
> posed your insecurities, so much so, that you fel
> t compelled to respond to my post and defend your
> lame thread title.
>
> All vitriol aside, you hunt with some excellent m
> achines.
>
> Dean

Are you a librarian or something, sound a little ,,, Girly.
March 26, 2018 11:23AM
Jackpine Wrote:

> but they did not fit my hearing for iron hunting.

Glad you wrote that Jackpine. A detectors audio is very important and one persons hearing can be tuned to one type of detectors audio while another persons to another.

One detector can be the best of the bunch, but if it's audio does not mesh with a persons hearing or how they interpret tones, it's not going to be for them.

I like analog type audio. With high end headphones, I can hear subtle differences in tone and how the audio 'colors' the target.

That's why I wish when new detectors come out, that have wireless headphones, they come with a 1/4 inch headphone adapter right from the start. Make the wireless headphones an option.

I have 4 -5 pairs of top end headphones. Each has it's place on my many detectors, as some sound better on one detector vs another.

My 2 cents.
March 26, 2018 01:03PM
XRay,
Nope, not a librarian. I would be an ugly girl.

therover61,

I didn't get why they they didn't include the 1/4", either. Stupid on their part.

Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 01:05PM by bado1.