Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

FISHER F 75 COMPARED TO THE MINELAB EQUINOX 800

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
FISHER F 75 COMPARED TO THE MINELAB EQUINOX 800
March 23, 2018 09:18PM
This is my best effort at doing a unbiased comparison of the two. There are pop ups in the first few minutes to show highlight spots in the video. I used settings for the F75 that were given to me by experienced users on this forum. There might be better ways to set it up but you will get the gist of it. Tested on high and low conducters in iron just like the Deus and AT GOLD and also a depth test set up in the separation mode that was given to me.. I also ran BP at the end on a depth test and lowered recovery on the Nox to 5 to see which one hit the deepest in my soil in a discrim mode.fisher

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2018 09:19PM by calabash digger.
Re: FISHER F 75 COMPARED TO THE MINELAB EQUINOX 800
March 23, 2018 09:53PM
I would love to see that test done with a Deeptech Vista Gold Gain i think it would get all your targets with a banging signal
March 23, 2018 10:16PM
Like you said "it is what it is". We have a decade old detector being out gunned. It is what it is. Thanks for showing us the test!

I will say one thing....the difference in ID is the emi squeaking in....not really a bounce. In other words #82 = real ID, #13= emi, #80..so on...
March 23, 2018 11:09PM
Another good vid, CD. Rather than getting mad at the results, the F75 folks should be grateful, that the detector technology has taken another leap forward.
March 23, 2018 11:30PM
I noticed by the faceplate on the f75 that it may be one of the original ones with the camo. Is that right. If so has it been upgraded.
Thanks pal
March 23, 2018 11:38PM
I don't think any of the F75 folks will "get mad",but from listening to all the noise it seems that the Nox crowd is More interested in showing that the Nox is superior to the F75 than vice versa.
March 23, 2018 11:57PM
Doc,
Detectors are what they are.
I wish I could waive a magic wand and make all do all things better.

This isn't the first detector comparison video we have seen posted here.

Again folks use and or buy what they want.

If we aren't going to talk and discuss detectors here, what good is it really- the forum.

Not like Minelab hatches a new model every year.
Probably a good thing.lol
Could cause nervous breakdowns for some.

There will be other new models released in the future by Minelab and other manufacturers.
I may buy depending.

Just imagine, wonder if we had a detector by via push of a button we could hold a detecfor one coil that does what Equinox does and what CTX does, or even Etrac.
Who knows we may see such a detector.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 12:01AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 24, 2018 12:09AM
Bill long Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed by the faceplate on the f75 that it may
> be one of the original ones with the camo. Is that
> right. If so has it been upgraded.
> Thanks pal

I think its the older one with out the upgrade.
March 24, 2018 12:13AM
But, of course, a detector forum is to discuss---detectors,plural. I enjoy learning about Any new detector and appreciate the effort that goes into the production of informative videos.

My comment on the "F75 folks will get mad" was to put in perspective where most of the "noise" is coming from--and what the "noise" is about---it's not F75 folks proclaiming to the world that they have the best detector in the world.

This is in reply to TNSS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 12:23AM by doc holiday.
March 24, 2018 12:19AM
calabash digger Wrote:
-
>
> I think its the older one with out the upgrade.

You don't even know what your swinging nor how to use it and you're doing comparison videos?
That's builds credibilitythumbs down
March 24, 2018 12:22AM
Don't think unit had FA process, should be non DST unit.
March 24, 2018 01:04AM
shoveler Wrote:
> calabash digger Wrote:
> -
> >
> > I think its the older one with out the upgrade.
>
>
> You don't even know what your swinging nor how to
> use it and you're doing comparison videos?
> That's builds credibilitythumbs down

Like I said I asked how to set it up from the guys on this forum just to do a comparison test . As for going thru all thru FA , DST, LSD, AND CSA UPGRADES they did for these units I aint got the time, I just asked for some simple settings to compare the units. BTW ive looked at all those different upgrades because I thought about buying a F75 one time. How do you think it did ??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 01:07AM by calabash digger.
March 24, 2018 01:09AM
Looks like moving forward, multi-freq (simultaneously) detectors are the way to go...again.
March 24, 2018 01:16AM
I had an F75 SE I bought from our own Mr. Dankowski and it was a sweet unit. I have no pity for anyone with an F75 because they need none. It may be obsolete but its still one very fine detector! Oh, and CD thanks for another great video effort.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2018 01:16AM by Pasttom.
March 24, 2018 01:17AM
I knew what was going to happen on the forums as soon as C.D. announced what he was going to do. You can never do these type of tests to suit everybody. There will always be somebody say you should have done it this way, or that way. I'm so stubborn that I would turn right around and do videos showing exactly what they suggested, and when the result was the same, they would always find something else to hang onto, no matter how stupid or minute it may be. In this particular case, the people are going to get hung up on it being an older model F75. If it would have been one of the newer models with DST, they would have said "The newer ones aren't as deep as the older ones, it would be a different story if you had an older one". Since you started with an older one without DST, they are going to say the opposite...now it's going to be the emi that plagues the older ones that is causing it to be like that. The coil size may be a bit of an area they hit you with too. The Nox has an 11 inch round, and the F75 an 8x11 non round. I think the conversion would make the 8x11 be the equiv to a 10.5 inch round coil or there about. But, some people are going to treat it like you had a 13 inch coil on the Nox. Ha ha. Or better yet, there will be some probably say there is something wrong with the unit or the coil.

---------------------
Speaking of noise making, I seem to recall a Findmall thread Doc started where he "made some noise" in regards to the F75 vs Nox and the lack of comparison videos between them at that time. Didn't someone reply "Why would anyone want to be embarrassed by having their new technology advanced machine blown out of the water by an old F75 LTD or T2 plus for that matter?". And the response was "True Dat".
March 24, 2018 01:43AM
That's so true over on another forum I got the EXACT same thing you just said... If I would got it away from the EMI and put a bigger coil on it I would have felt the power was the exact statement. smoking smiley
March 24, 2018 01:58AM
Daniel,True Dat I sometimes rattle chains--just to hear'em bark. LOL
March 24, 2018 01:59AM
shoveler Wrote:
> calabash digger Wrote:
> >
> > I think its the older one with out the upgrade.
>
> You don't even know what your swinging nor how to use it and you're doing comparison videos? That's builds credibilitythumbs down

He was coached by the experts on this forum how to set up the F75 for the test.

It's no different then someone taking the EQ out on their first trip to do comparisons with a detector they have 10+ years on, and declaring the EQ inferior.

It's interesting how many folks gets their panties in a wad every time someone tries to share a test on a new detector. This forum used to promote open discussion of detectors, and for years people have been belly aching about having new technology in detectors to find the things they were sure were still at their favorite sites their army of detectors had already been through and missed, something new and innovative comes out, people share their findings, and the naysayers are out with their pitchforks and torches. hot smiley
March 24, 2018 02:02AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
> shoveler Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > calabash digger Wrote:
> > >
> > > I think its the older one with out the upgrade
> .
> >
> > You don't even know what your swinging nor how t
> o use it and you're doing comparison videos? That
> 's builds credibilitythumbs down
>
>
> He was coached by the experts on this forum how to
> set up the F75 for the test.
>
> It's no different then someone taking the EQ out o
> n their first trip to do comparisons with a detect
> or they have 10+ years on, and declaring the EQ in
> ferior.
>
> It's interesting how many folks gets their panties
> in a wad every time someone tries to share a test
> on a new detector. This forum used to pr
> omote open discussion of detectors, and for years
> people have been belly aching about having new tec
> hnology in detectors to find the things they were
> sure were still at their favorite sites their army
> of detectors had already been through and missed,
> something new and innovative comes out, people sha
> re their findings, and the naysayers are out with
> their pitchforks and torches. hot smiley

YES!! And Amen!!
March 24, 2018 02:24AM
I would just leave this topic alone and move on and hunt too many different views. The main thing is you had hunted with the Deus and some are moving to the 800 and that is a big jump for relic hunters but hey if you are ready to uncover more relics and a new unit will help then what the big deal testing it

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 24, 2018 03:03AM
I have not watched all of Calabash's video on the F75 vs Equinox, yet. I have an F75SE with DST. To tell the truth, I bought it primarily from the push it was receiving here on this forum at the time. Love the ergonomics, but not everyone, including me, has Tom's dirt! That was ok when I thought my local dirt was relatively mineral free, benign, inocuous. When I realized that the dirt in my local surrounds in reality is not totally harmless, I began to question the capabilities of the F75 for my use. For that reason only, it sits. It sits ALOT!
I suspect the video above shows its relative performance relating to separation and target proximity to iron. Regardless of what a video shows, I view all such videos merely as starting points. They engage me but they don't necessarily convince me. They establish a potential or possible outcome that is up to me to verify in my surroundings. If I choose to. There's a reason that disclaimers are oft regarded as standard; such as YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Wayne
March 24, 2018 04:16AM
Great video, a fair test. We have some answers now. I wish it were longer and even more in-depth but it was good. Thanks CD.
I'd say to anyone who's criticizing the video, for what ever reason...... where is your video ?

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
August 27, 2018 03:43AM
Bill long Wrote:
> I noticed by the faceplate on the f75 that it may
> be one of the original ones with the camo. Is that
> right. If so has it been upgraded.
> Thanks pal

I have the upgraded F75 Camo SE. When you upgrade, Fisher swaps out the entire head for a black one.
Anyone with the camo faceplate is running the old version I believe.
August 27, 2018 09:28AM
For me its all about knowing your detector ..... be it an Explorer or F75. Those of you who have used either of the machines for any period of time knows their capability in YOUR hands..... so its more about how did the Nox do? Hes made it clear he doesnt have a lot of time on these machines...... and i dont know how many hours he has on the Nox. Its difficult to compare machines...... and it seems even more difficult to post the results lol.
August 27, 2018 11:33AM
Your welcome to stop by and test your detector and see if the results are different. My Deus will eat the F75 alive for relics......I don't care how much you know your F75. Looks like the Nox might do the same for the Explorer on some things...

I wonder how much time Keith puts on a machine before he does a test video on it?

You guys need to buy a go pro and enlighten us that don't understand how detectors work . Give me a break ….lol
August 27, 2018 11:44AM
What interests me in these clips is the minimal amount of changes on settings required for the Equinox to hit both deep and/or fast when compared to some older generation detectors, and the quality of the audio response even with EMI present. Yes you might be able to set up those other two detectors to hit harder than what was shown in the clips, though that would be dependent on both user experience and a combination of optimal settings to do so. I think a lot of the advancements that have come with the Equinox and its MF technology is the ability to achieve excellent results right out of the box so to speak, plus also a much more simplified unit to use than its FBS predecessors.

Either way it makes no sense to purchase an F75 over the Equinox 800 at the moment here in Australia - base model F75 $1400, F75 LE $1660 and Equinox 800 $1099. Which would you choose considering that sort of pricing?
August 27, 2018 12:44PM
The equinox is user friendly...
August 27, 2018 01:28PM
The Nox is the superior detector because it has the latest technology. However, the test, in my opinion, wasn't conducted in a fair manner. First of all, I run my F75DST 99% of the time in jewelry mode, zero discrimination, 4 tones using full sensitivity without any EMI chatter whatsoever. Using an F75 without DST isn't a fair test in my opinion. I've used F75 detectors with and without DST and there is no comparison when detecting around EMI like there was in the test.

The above settings are the ones that I use mostly for hunting in parks, curb strips and not too trashy yards. When hunting at sites that are loaded up with nails I use the single audio tone with just enough discrimination to discriminate out the nails because it is by far the best mode to use on both high and low conductors in a bed of nails. Using 2 tones in the test on the low conductor between the 2 nails didn't give the F75 a fair shot.

When using the single audio tone in the test when there was a high conductor between the two nails the F75 held its own, so switching to 2 audio tones didn't make any sense to me in your test when you used a low conductor between the two nails. Anyhow, it's nice that you don't have to change the settings on the Nox to get good separation and depth. I just wish the Nox had the build quality and balance that the F75 has.

tabman
August 27, 2018 02:05PM
I'm one of the odd ducks that prefers the non DST version of the F75. I think my most recent DST model was a late 2017 build, and I hoped they had refined them since the DST first rolled out. My take on them was that they did seem to be better than the first batch DST models but I still felt they were severely neutered compared to the older ones. Especially the all metal mode, which I used 99% of the time.

F75 all metal vs the Nox....no contest there. I use to have a video on YouTube where I dug a 3 ringer my wife had found/located with the F75, that was at my elbow deep in the ground. From my last knuckles to my elbow measures 16 inches. That was with the stock coil too; throw a 12x13 coil on that bad boy and you had better get ready to dig some deep holes. The deepest breast plate I ever dug with a VLF machine, was with the F75 and either the Tornado or Ultimate coil....can't remember which one it was. But it was knee deep.

The Nox is good for disc mode hunting...better than an F75 in that regard at least here. My first YouTube videos were on the F75 showing the response I was getting on Civil War bullets doing the "bounce" from mostly an iron signal, then occasionally a one way hit up to the zinc/tab range. That was about the time I really started learning the all metal side of it and began to see what I had been leaving in the ground thinking they were iron or junk by hunting in disc mode.
August 27, 2018 02:17PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
>
> It's interesting how many folks gets their panties
> in a wad every time someone tries to share a test
> on a new detector. This forum used to pr
> omote open discussion of detectors, and for years
> people have been belly aching about having new tec
> hnology in detectors to find the things they were
> sure were still at their favorite sites their army
> of detectors had already been through and missed,
> something new and innovative comes out, people sha
> re their findings, and the naysayers are out with
> their pitchforks and torches. hot smiley
+1

I agree, Cal; this forum DID used to welcome discussion about detectors. That's still the case to some degree, but over the past couple of years especially, any such discussions are welcomed (by some large percentage of posters) ONLY as long as the detector being discussed isn't built by Minelab…and I never have figured out why that is. I just accept it as reality, and move on. The saving grace for me is, there is occasionally an excellent post here -- usually made by NASA-Tom or a select few others -- where I really learn something about detectors and/or detecting that makes it worth being here (even if I can't really get any unbiased information or discussion about the brand of detector I tend to use most often...)

Meanwhile, Calabash, I appreciate your efforts. You are attempting to do exactly what "science" is supposed to be about; a comparison between two like things, attempting to hold as many variables constant as possible, and report the results/outcomes. Through acquisition of such information, we can learn things; it makes no sense for me why you take so many shots for sharing results of your testing.

Steve

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 02:22PM by steveg.