Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

FISHER F 75 COMPARED TO THE MINELAB EQUINOX 800

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: FISHER F 75 COMPARED TO THE MINELAB EQUINOX 800
August 27, 2018 03:00PM
steveg Wrote:

> You are attempting to do exactly what "science" is
> supposed to be about; a comparison between two lik
> e things, attempting to hold as many variables con
> stant as possible

The last part of that sentence is the hardest part...attempting to keep as many variables constant. The advent of digital technology and the myriad choices one has 'tweaking' and setting up 2 detectors to try to make them equal is almost impossible today. Just the time and effort put in to try to video 2 detectors comparing targets and reporting back the results is a testament in itself.

Keep on chugging along Calabash....we appreciate the time and effort and information you are providing.

WATCH OUT FOR THEM BEARS !!!!
August 27, 2018 03:00PM
Thanks guys. What I have learned in a short while is you cant please everybody. Talking about metal detectors is a lot like talking about politics and religion …. gets very heated quick! lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 03:02PM by calabash digger.
August 27, 2018 03:20PM
pinpointer999 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I have the upgraded F75 Camo SE. When you upgrade, Fisher swaps out the entire head for a black one. Anyone with the camo faceplate is running the old version I believe.

That was my experience when I had my camo F75 LTD upgraded to the LTD2. Actually they initially tried to reprogram the original hardware and it had issues, so I had to send it in again (under the guidance of Dave Johnson) and they replaced the entire control box and then it ran nicely. I had a couple of epic hunts with it right after the upgrade.
August 27, 2018 03:40PM
I love Calabash's videos. There is always clamor in forums for more tests. Well here is is doing it. A credit to the hobby as far as I am concerned.

Hell, my YouTube channel is sponsored by First Texas....and I still love watching Calabash. Like stated - it is what it is.

Pasttom is 100%....Nobody feels sorry for somebody with a T2 or a F75. They are deep...fast...separate well...unmask well. If you feel hurt that 10 year old tech that is now like $500-650 and comes WITH a $140 PI pin-pointer in the box....you have issues.

The ONLY problem I have with these tests is that 5-10% point so to speak.

Most detectors placed up against the XP Deus and EQ can find every find they can - in every situation they can - as most finds are NOT a 15 inch half dollar or a 12 inch dime.

I've watched EVERY SINGLE one of his live digs...and the T2 and F75 and (insert name here) could have found 95% of his top end finds.

That is my only complaint...when him (and others) watch a detector pass 90-95% of a test garden....only to get beat in the final 5-10%.....and then be called a dud. Def don't agree there.

Now that being said....I totally understand some guys want to hunt that 5%....and that is where Calabash comes into play with his videos. Most MDers are good with the 90-95% and do not want to dig 10-15 inch holes. Seen tons of guy give up at 8-10 inches in hard pack dirt and say who cares if it is silver...I'm not diggin any deeper. Well some guys do like to dig 10-15 inches in their soft beautiful soil...that is where these tests come into play.

Not many have the types of hunting grounds he has access to....or soil....so that is a great reason for him to GO for that 5% where somebody else would say....no thank you.

I have video of the XP Deus failing 5 inch coins that the F19 was smacking easy. Used "expert programs" and all that crap too....no dice in my Colorado dirt that maxxed every "dirt" meter on every detector. Even Calabash was like "holy crap that is bad dirt".

We don't all have dirt like him....we don't all have dirt like me....we don't all dig the same way...we don't all hunt for the same targets.

It is what it is...a test.

Go use your F75 and T2 and Explorer and (insert name here). Nobody thinks they are dogs because they lost in a 5% battle in Calabash type soil.

Use these tests and guides to see if they "align" with your type of hunting...your type of conditions...and then use that grey matter up top to make your own decision.

I live in Fresno CA....where it gets 100+ for nearly 3 straight months...and rains maybe 10 days a year for 30 minutes. Digging to 10-15 inches is impossible without a pick-axe and a large shovel. No thanks!

Enjoy the video for what it is. If it does not apply to your situation...apply something else that does work.

/rant

My YouTube - [www.youtube.com]
Website - [www.thehuntergt.com]
August 27, 2018 03:57PM
I learned very early on that detector videos were only useful for two things 1) to listen to a detector's tones, and 2) entertainment. For entertainment I like the Hoover Boys.

Regards the F75....this most common mistake in its use is highlighted below.

SWEEP SPEED
The F75 is noted for its quick response. This gives it unsurpassed ability to locate and identify
good targets surrounded by trash. It also permits the user to sweep the searchcoil quickly in
order to cover more ground with very little risk of losing targets. In general, if you are
searching an area where the desirable targets are more than 8 to 10 inches deep, a faster
sweep speed will detect to a greater depth and yield more accurate target IDs.

CHECKING A TARGET
In order to most accurately verify a detected target with most other metal detectors, users will
narrow their sweep and loiter over the top of the target. The F75 is different. The F75's quick
response and advanced signal sampling system produces the most accurate target IDs with
deliberate (shoulder width) sweeps all the way across the target, even if there are other
targets nearby. If you check targets using sweep techniques learned on some other detectors,
you run the risk of getting less accurate target IDs. You can use the confidence level indicator
to improve your technique.

The hardest thing to learn on a metal detector is sweep speed yet its the most important part of the detector. Many folks just don't, or can't connect to a particular model's sweep speed. Calabash demonstrates how not to loiter over a target with the F75. Yet he is not alone. It is a pretty common thing to watch on almost all vids involving a F75.

HH
Mike
August 27, 2018 03:59PM
Reminds me of the deus...
August 27, 2018 04:56PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> The equinox is user friendly...

so is the tesoro "mojave!"
(lol)

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 27, 2018 06:14PM
Detecting is suppose to be fun. Some detectors are just more fun to use than others.

tab,am
August 27, 2018 06:55PM
tabman Wrote:
> Detecting is suppose to be fun. Some detectors are
> just more fun to use than others.
>
> tab,am

Yeeessss, that's why they make the CTX & Etrac!!!smiling smiley
August 27, 2018 07:07PM
I never cared for the F75 but I am a Deep Coin Hunter.
I remember all the Hype before it came out. You think the Nox was bad, It was nothing compared to the F75.
I know it turned out to be a good Relic Hunter.
I just never liked the jumpy Numbers and lack of Modulated Audio in Disc. mode. Had it a week and called Brian at Southern Treasures and tried to get My 1021 CZ-3D back but it was gone. So I bought a 1121, last run Los banos with lifetime warranty. Good machine but not as good as first one. Oh' well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 07:12PM by Harold,ILL..
August 27, 2018 09:57PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> I never cared for the F75 but I am a Deep Coin Hun
> ter.
> I remember all the Hype before it came out. You th
> ink the Nox was bad, It was nothing compared to th
> e F75.
> I know it turned out to be a good Relic Hunter.
> I just never liked the jumpy Numbers and lack of M
> odulated Audio in Disc. mode. Had it a week and ca
> lled Brian at Southern Treasures and tried to get
> My 1021 CZ-3D back but it was gone. So I bought a
> 1121, last run Los banos with lifetime warranty. G
> ood machine but not as good as first one. Oh' well
> .

I had two or three 3D's but never had a good one.-----Brian & Connie--what ever happened to them?----Didn't he become a distributor?----I purchased a couple of detectors from him when he was a dealer.
August 27, 2018 11:01PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:

> I just never liked the jumpy Numbers and lack of M
> odulated Audio in Disc. mode.

F75 has had modulated audio in disc mode since release. But ya only had it a week.... drinking smiley

August 28, 2018 01:12AM
F-75 doesn't have modulated audio.
August 28, 2018 01:14AM
TheHunterGT, The F75 has never had Modulated Audio in Disc. Mode. You must not know what Modulated Audio is. The Deeper the target is the softer the sound. It's saturated till the edge of depth then it gets fuzzy sounding. I did try a couple More thinking I did not give it a fair shake but still not for Me.
August 28, 2018 01:44AM
F75 has modulated audioaccording to Fisher engineer.

[www.findmall.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2018 01:46AM by ChrisMD.
August 28, 2018 02:04AM
Yes but if You read on He has it confused with VCO Audio which is not the same thing. The other posters also say it doesn't have true Modulated Audio.
August 28, 2018 02:21AM
I just fired up my F75 and I’m getting modulated audio at depth. NASA Tom also confirms it in this thread: Quote “Any of the tone option settings does indeed give modulated audio responses...... as long as Sens is approx '80' or below.“.

I just came from the test garden and I’m getting it, so not sure what’s up with whoever isn’t.

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2018 02:25AM by ChrisMD.
August 28, 2018 02:39AM
Yes but not the soft whisper type at the edge of Depth like a CZ. But the CZs is adjustable. If so it is very slight at least to My ears. Maybe others can chime in with more time on the F75 than I.
August 28, 2018 02:46AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> Yes but not the soft whisper type at the edge of D
> epth like a CZ. But the CZs is adjustable. If so i
> t is very slight at least to My ears. Maybe others
> can chime in with more time on the F75 than I.

You can dial the modulation in with the sensitivity. For those that haven’t spent much time with the F75 platform they don’t understand how sensitivity works compared to other detectors. I can bang out targets at depth whether it’s on sens 99 or 40. The difference being 40 has a whole lot of modulation and 99 just screams at everything it hits at any depth.
August 28, 2018 03:40AM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> TheHunterGT, The F75 has never had Modulated Audio
> in Disc. Mode. You must not know what Modulated Au
> dio is. The Deeper the target is the softer the so
> und. It's saturated till the edge of depth then it
> gets fuzzy sounding. I did try a couple More think
> ing I did not give it a fair shake but still not f
> or Me.

VCO is modulation...simple as that. They are used across the electronic world to change frequency...phase...audio pitch. It literally IS modulation.

Now what you are saying is non-VCO modulation...just a change in volume only...not a pitch change.

As ChrisMD has stated (via Nasa-Tom)...it absolutely does that as well. It does not really hit until the last 2 inches or so of fringe depth...but it is absolutely there. T2 and F70 as well. Got 200+ on those two.

I do agree 100% it is not as pronounced as on the CZ....or even the Omega....and not as pronounced in monotone (1).

August 28, 2018 09:41AM
I have two f-75's and they either bang, get fuzzy/broken or they don't signal. Lowering the sens lowers the volume of the emi also. I have a cz that has a sweet MA. If the 75 had what the cz has, I would love it.
August 28, 2018 09:43AM
Modulated audio is more pronounced in the Omega, but the F75 does have modulated audio. HH jim tn
August 28, 2018 12:29PM
The year before last I found 253 silver coins in just 101 hunts using the F75DST/Sharpshooter as my primary detector. Will I find more silver coins using the Nox? Will I enjoy swinging the Nox as much as I do the F75DST and my other detectors? Will the Nox outperform my Deus, Deeptech Smart Plus and CTX 3030 etc.? I got the feeling that the Nox is a great all-around detector, but it probably won't be able to outperform some of my detectors doing certain tasks. Golfers use more than one club to accomplish their task. Bottom line, if you can only afford one detector, the Nox might not be a bad deal. Time will tell. When the used Nox detector prices settle in I'll likely give one a try. Right now, the prices are still falling. I really like trying different detectors. To me, that's what makes detecting fun. Also, I enjoy watching detector comparison videos. It's a hoot!

tabman
August 28, 2018 03:17PM
ozzie Wrote:
> I have two f-75's and they either bang, get fuzzy/
> broken or they don't signal. Lowering the sens low
> ers the volume of the emi also. I have a cz that h
> as a sweet MA. If the 75 had what the cz has, I wo
> uld love it.

Yes this was My experience also.
The Omega has true Modulated Audio to edge of depth.
I remember Dave Johnson saying it was the closest to the CZ out of all the First Texas Detectors He designed.
Having said that it has too much Modulation for My hearing.
That's why I like adjustable Modulation like the CZ and Etrac/ Explorer models as We all have different hearing.
August 28, 2018 03:29PM
What was this post about, F75 vs CZ? I forgot...
August 28, 2018 03:44PM
TexHunter Wrote:
> What was this post about, F75 vs CZ? I forgot...

I guess it got carried away. I think now We need to get Ole' Calabash a Hot CZ-3D other than Mine. Ha!