Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox 800 , Has there been any bad ones ?

Posted by Potomac run 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox 800 , Has there been any bad ones ?
March 26, 2018 12:33PM
I got mine last week been reading up on it.
Took it out and did everything and it is so sporadic in that very noisy to the point I can’t hunt with it.
You can’t even hunt with it I less you run sensativy down to 10 and that is not much help. It will not read a bullet on top of the ground!
I left my cell phone in the truck so I know that is not the problem. Also took it to the middle of 60 ac of good woods still the same. Did a factory reset did the noise canceling ground balance all 3 way. Nothing I can do to make it better. I sent the video to minlab customer service as directed by the dealer,
Sorry I can’t post it. But be glad to text to a cell number if you message me.
Re: Equinox 800 , Has there been any bad ones ?
March 26, 2018 12:38PM
I bet it's a bad coil.
March 26, 2018 12:49PM
The dealer said that minelab has had one so fare with a bad coil so there are out there. That is the first thing I thought it was.
March 26, 2018 12:55PM
to be honest, I thought i might have had a bad unit because I wasn't passing the nail tests like other videos I saw. But I had independent confirmation that they got the same results I did.
March 26, 2018 01:28PM
I have a 600 that has a battery DOA. Doesn't charge, like it's disconnected internally. Will only run from external source.
March 26, 2018 01:49PM
My 600..Had a bad coil!
March 26, 2018 01:54PM
mascard1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My 600..Had a bad coil!

Have you sent it back? I just spok to the customer service and all they said was send it in to have it looked at
March 26, 2018 04:29PM
Sent it back and got a new one..Now the 800 is there for a loose rod!
March 26, 2018 05:11PM
I just went to ups and sent it back, hopefully it is not a month long wait ,
Never got any response from 2 emails I sent with a video as to what they thought was going on.
First minelab was not expecting after such a long wait to have this happen. My digging season is almost over when turkey season comes in in April. Lol
March 26, 2018 05:33PM
I see you already sent it back, but I had the same problem crop up with a 600 I had purchased a set of wireless headphones for...

In my initial tests inside, it ran quiet and fine, but when I went to my favorite place to hunt, it acted exactly as you describe...completely unusable.
When I got back and tested it again, it was still bonkers...like it had suddenly gone bad.

I was ready to send it back, and also assumed a bad coil...
The only thing I could thing I could think of that was different, was that the wireless headphones were running.

It wasn't until I turned off the new wireless HPs, that it suddenly stabilized again, and ran perfectly smoothly.
(My initial, successful/stable tests had also been without headphones.)

I ended up getting a new set of wireless HPs and successfully hunted an area I know to be EMI noisy (next to a busy train track), and was able to run at 23 and 25 sens...no problem.

So, at least in my case, I've seen the bluetooth connection cause severe stability issues.
If anyone has a similar problem, I'd suggest they try turning off the HPs (and detector's bluetooth) and use the 1/8" tether cable to see if the issue goes away.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 05:56PM by Mike in CO.
March 26, 2018 07:37PM
Have to agree on bad coil...plus always check batteries, battery contacts and coil connector also.
PS: just purchased batteries can be bad also....been there done that....
March 26, 2018 08:24PM
I tried it without the headphones and still had the problem. Took the coil wire and wrapped it the other direction,did a factory reset about 4 times. It would not even read a large brass rivet . It would read a shovel, lol. With my luck if there was a bad one I would get it. If i fell in a Barrel of tits I would come up sucking my thumb
March 26, 2018 10:46PM
They gave me 2nd day air both ways(Took a little over a week with 600 and that's counting weekend!)...on each one(600 and 800) ,I sent in.....I E-mailed Tracy Johnson....She was on the ball...Want to Thanks her!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2018 10:48PM by mascard1.
March 27, 2018 12:06AM
There have been a number of manufacturing defects, all right, probably about average for a rollout, although hard to say, given that most buyers still haven't received their 800s. Minelab seems to be replacing the lemons quickly. So far, I don't think I've seen any serious design defects reported. (The overbright backlighting on the 600, and less than sturdy rod assembly are minor ones. It's also possible there is something a bit off with the uniformity of the coil's operation.)
March 27, 2018 12:41AM
The dealer said there had only been one reported bad coil out of all of the machines that mare out there, made me think it was something I was doing wrong! I see there is more bad ones then he lead me to believe, Dam I miss my old Nautilus DMC 2B. Lol
April 03, 2018 01:55AM
It was a bad coil.
April 03, 2018 01:01PM
Potomac run Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was a bad coil.

I won the bet! j/k. Anyway that sux I hope you get it back soon!