Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Camera woes.

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Camera woes.
March 26, 2018 05:12PM
So my new camera I just got plainly sux. The battery life is so short(10 mins continuous), I have to keep turning the camera on and off to save battery. I bought two brand new batteries and the same results so it must be the camera. Can anyone recommend a good camera with a long battery life for recording videos???

Thanks in advance!
Re: Camera woes.
March 26, 2018 07:10PM
Are you in to the Go Pro type cameras? Go Pro battery life is good but the draw back is all of the editing that you have to do. I really like my phone (iPhone 8) with the app that turns it in to camcorder type of camera...stop/record function. That way you can pick up recording where you left off and do your "editing" on the fly without having to merge all the files together at the end. I don't do as much video as you do not do I post on YouTube so it may not serve your needs.

If you are in to the Go Pro type cameras, the one that Calabash Digger uses is pretty cool. Good luck!

Dean
March 26, 2018 07:18PM
Go Pro Type Camera
[www.aliexpress.com]

I also use Kodak ZX5's - cheap gear as I have the memory of a goldfish winking smiley

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
March 26, 2018 07:19PM
bado1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you in to the Go Pro type cameras? Go Pro bat
> tery life is good but the draw back is all of the
> editing that you have to do. I really like my phon
> e (iPhone 8) with the app that turns it in to cam
> corder type of camera...stop/record function. That
> way you can pick up recording where you left off a
> nd do your "editing" on the fly without having to
> merge all the files together at the end. I don't d
> o as much video as you do not do I post on YouTube
> so it may not serve your needs.
>
> If you are in to the Go Pro type cameras, the one
> that Calabash Digger uses is pretty cool. Good luc
> k!
>
> Dean

Thanks Dean! I was looking into them. They are a bit pricey. As for editing, I do all that anyway so it's no big deal.
March 26, 2018 08:49PM
Sorry to hear camera issues! I use what Detecting Mo and Bill (Dirtfishing) use... Kodak Play sport ZX5. I got mine on eBay for $20... works great with 11 inch magic arm! I went through 4 go pro knock offs.. all had TERRIBLE battery lifes, the ZX5 will last all day when I turn it off and on to record. I just posted a video on my really bad youtube channel. The quality isn't too bad I don't think, and no fish eye!

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
March 27, 2018 04:55AM
Bey....I use the Hero5 Session,I think that’s what Calabash got too. VERY nice camera. It has ALOT of stuff for a very small action camera and is built extremely well. Buy it once(well,twice in your case) and be done. You’ll be using it for years. I can shoot 1080p at 60 frames per second with a wide angle view and get 2 hours of video from it. If you use the One Touch Recording Option you’ll record the highlights all day,or roll for 2 hours and clip it up later. VERY fun camera to use. JMHO...good luck!
March 27, 2018 10:13AM
Mobius Action cam....it's about the best I've found for the money.
Has great on line support..very clear video at 1080P... it has other settings as well.
Very small and light weight...it also comes with a standard angle lens or you can get the C2 wide angle lens
I've got 4 of these cameras...I also use them as dash cams in my personal vehicles...gives about 2.5 hrs on internal battery at 1080P.
I also use a external battery pack which gives me an additional 24 hrs...if you want a longer recording time.
With a 32 gig card you get 4.5 hours before you run outa room....64gig you get about 7.5 hrs.
Here's a video of a guy using one with a homemade mount.

[www.youtube.com]

PS... watch out for the fake Chinese ones....ask me how I know.
They look the same but are no where close to the originals quality and you can not use the on line software support....comes up showing it's a counterfeit product when you try to use the software.
Only buy from the sponsored sites...a lot of people selling junk...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2018 10:14AM by Whimpster.
March 27, 2018 11:52AM
Those suckahatchi specials usually don't work very well. These days a current model iPhone or better quality android phone with optical image stabilization (not digital, digital stabilization is garbage) can take very high quality video. Perhaps not as good as an Ultra HD 4K GoPro, but for youtube vids, they work quite well and have excellent battery life.
March 27, 2018 12:43PM
Thank you gentlemen for the great suggestions! Looks like I got a little homework to do but I am leaning toward the zx5(I like Bill s. set-up).A go pro at 299.00 is a bit expensive for the amount of use it will get(but IDK lol).
March 27, 2018 08:05PM
so I took the very expensive hero 5 plunge with accessories almost 4 bills. Ugh. Anyway one of the things that stuck in my mind was, "Buy it once(well,twice in your case) and be done." from idxmonster. This is my third camera in as many years because I went cheap. Hopefully, you guys will be getting some great quality vids!
March 27, 2018 08:10PM
Nice! It will pay off in the long run.

Dean
March 28, 2018 03:16AM
Just bought a GoPro Hero 5 Session on ebay from GoPro with a 1 year warranty for 120$... normally a 200+$ camera. Couldnt pass it up though it is a recertified camera but sold by GoPro and still carries their 1 year house warranty.

Price went up 10$ over night.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-Certified-Refurbished-HERO5-Session-/323041582271?hash=item4b36c75cbf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2018 03:18AM by Mike C.
March 28, 2018 03:49AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> so I took the very expensive hero 5 plunge with ac
> cessories almost 4 bills. Ugh. Anyway one of the t
> hings that stuck in my mind was, "Buy it once(well
> ,twice in your case) and be done." from idxmonster
> . This is my third camera in as many years because
> I went cheap. Hopefully, you guys will be getting
> some great quality vids!

AWESOME! Now go make us proud!smileys with beer
March 28, 2018 04:07AM
I think I'm the only person in the world that hates Go Pros and the distorted wide angle fish eye view. It bothers me so much I wont even watch a video shot with one all the way through. These days, my S7 can do awesome video and sound quality. The problem is the file size when the video is rendered on the computer. If I upload it in HD, it would take hours to upload with my crappy slow internet.
March 28, 2018 04:51AM
That is an issue Daniel, it wouldn't prevent me from watching a vid, but I hear you.

I agree the new higher end phones can do great HD video, but file size can be an issue when editing. I ran into that problem editing Tom's "hat cam" videos that he just lets roll when detecting to get live signals. They were like 4-5 gigs each. I use MS Movie Maker, it craps out on file sizes larger then 2GB.

Just got a new MacBook Pro from work, might give iMovie a try, probably don't have the file size limitations that windows has. My first foray to the Apple dark side - lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2018 02:36PM by Cal_cobra.
March 28, 2018 06:38AM
Cal Cobra, I assume you meant that "it craps out on file sizes larger than 2GB", not 2MB.

That's still a problem, but it's three orders of magnitude better.
March 28, 2018 06:50AM
I always liked watching AquaChigger's videos. Unless he has changed, he used the Olympus TG series cameras. I don't watch his videos any more; he veered away from what made him so good in the past....now he's more into showing animal tracks and dung instead of finding coins and relics. Nugget Noggin was using the TG series camera too. They have very clear videos without the fisheye view. Kurt of the Hoover Boys uses his Galaxy S7 to do his filming, but he doesn't do any of the underwater hunting. If I were to start doing videos again, I would probably have to get one of the TGs myself.
March 28, 2018 07:26AM
If GoPro users select Linear Mode it will not record with the Fisheye affect..
You lose some of your super wide field view though.

Bryan
March 28, 2018 12:35PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> If GoPro users select Linear Mode it will not reco
> rd with the Fisheye affect..
> You lose some of your super wide field view though
> .
>
> Bryan

I wouldn't have bought the hero 5 if it didnt have linear mode as I hate fish eye as well. It will be pointing at the ground so wide angel really isnt needed. If everything goes as planned, it will be next weekend(4/7) when I am ready to film more new content(weather permitting!).
March 28, 2018 02:37PM
TallTom Wrote:
> Cal Cobra, I assume you meant that "it craps out on file sizes larger than 2GB", not 2MB.
>
> That's still a problem, but it's three orders of magnitude better.

Yes, thanks for catching that (I edited my post to reflect the change).