Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher 1270 reviews

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher 1270 reviews
March 28, 2018 08:36AM
I wonder how many are still using the 1270? I personally found it to be one of the best all around detectors for my hunting needs. If it had been packaged better IMO it would have been a top seller.

reviews.net

A fresh water hunters dream with depth and sensitivity to large and small gold that was unparalleled. With the iron disc set properly telling small foil bits from the denser earring backs and BB's was easy. No Gold Bug II needed for micro jewelry!

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2018 08:48AM by Jackpine.
Re: Fisher 1270 reviews
March 28, 2018 08:46AM
One of my favorites Tom I think you told me how to adjust the preset ground balance pot on it after that it was a deep seeking machine. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the balance of it. I found some deep Civil War relics using it.
March 28, 2018 08:52AM
Yes that was me and glad it worked out. I edited my post above to include my water hunting experience with it. Oh how I begged Fisher to make it waterproof, but at the time they felt the market was too small. Boy could they have had the AT market that Garrett tied up with their series of machines. LOL

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
March 28, 2018 10:16AM
Yeah, I've still got mine...and still use it occasionally. Works great. Nice old silver magnet, too...with the 10.5" coil.

As far as the balance goes, I bought one of those mount kits off ebay, and mounted the control box under the armrest.
It's much, much better balanced, but you have to reach under your elbow to adjust the controls.

It's a little bit of a hassle, but I think it's a good trade-off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2018 10:20AM by Mike in CO.
March 28, 2018 12:51PM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes that was me and glad it worked out. I edited
> my post above to include my water hunting experien
> ce with it. Oh how I begged Fisher to make it wat
> erproof, but at the time they felt the market was
> too small. Boy could they have had the AT market
> that Garrett tied up with their series of machines
> . LOL
>
> Tom

Fisher,by Not making the 1270 waterproof,violated one of the axioms of marketing:"Don't sell the steak,sell the Sizzle". This is Exactly what ML has done with the Nox.
March 28, 2018 01:23PM
Modern design and production technologies have revolutionized product design and production in most industries. Traditional mechanical design for a metal detector housing required long lead times to production and the investment of $100k per tool or more to produce hard tooling for the Induction mounding processes needed to produce the components.

Now with CAD/CAM systems and rapid prototyping and additive production processes the huge investment and 12 month lead time have been slashed. Making a waterproof version of a detector used to be an enormous undertaking and therefore a big risk- now, not so much so.

For those who like reading Masters’ Thesis - here’s a link

[etd.ohiolink.edu]

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 28, 2018 01:33PM
Good overall machine in poor ergonomic package....
March 28, 2018 02:09PM
March 28, 2018 02:41PM
Interesting that the 1265X/1266X was praised for ergonomics while the slightly larger control box of the 1270 changed the ergonomics of that model significantly.
It doesn't take much to throw off (or on the other hand, to improve) the balance of a machine.
It surprises me that so many detectors feel rather 'nose heavy' with their stock coils, a situation improved by a change to a smaller than stock coil.
March 28, 2018 04:21PM
The ergonomic designs which Dave Johnson pioneered at the “old” Fisher have been carried on and improved upon in the “new” Fisher - also under Dave’s guidance. The F75 and the T2 are nearly perfect in their weight, balance and “swingability”.

I have great hopes that the future designs out of that stable will continue the trend.

Minelab has innovated with the CTX Go Find, Gold Monster 1000 and now the Equinox. I get the feeling however that the mechanical designers of those packages are not detector users - they all have ergonomic flaws.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
March 28, 2018 05:20PM
Yes the 1270 was a nice unit..I wish it had been more like a amped up 1236 in iron report intelligence...

Yet it was a audio machine and once you got the audio traits down alot like the 1266 it was as deep with better unmasking.Yet liked the Musky Advantage a bit better in iron

Hey Tom if you want something nowadays like the 1270 but more target info and outstanding punch and great iron sifting ability you need to try a DeepTech RG 1000 V2..its on 12Khz....It remind's me a cleaner 1270...Audio traits are better and the dissecting is stellar and depth on high coins is like a 1270/Musky Advantage ..YOU WOULD LIKE IT..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 28, 2018 11:01PM
Hi Keith

I never found the Musky to be all that great at unmasking the mid conductors. Fine on the large copper and silver coins but below IH penny pretty poor. One time I re-hunted an old abandoned house with the ID Edge that the Musky had been thru and pulled deep brass out everywhere behind it. Not a good fresh water hunter at all.

You had mentioned something once about he 1270 that I had also discovered. Run the volume and gain wide open and if it gets cranky/noisy simply drop the volume and re-adjust your headphones. Works like a charm The iron disc was seemingly tailor made for fresh water hunting.

I'll have to check out the RG100, sounds like a good one with the improvement in audio over the 1270. My last 1270 was killed by a rogue wave.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2018 11:52PM by Jackpine.