Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Sorry to take so long getting back to you on this, Mr. Dankowski:

Posted by Greg (E.Tn) 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Sorry to take so long getting back to you on this, Mr. Dankowski:
March 28, 2018 01:58PM
I forwarded a photo of your Florida Seminole War Rosette (which I thought bore the image of part of the Tennessee State Seal) to a friend of mine far more knowledgeable of early artifacts than I was.

His opinion was it did NOT have anything to do with the Tennessee State Seal; rather it was from the Jacksonian era, probably around the 1820's. He indicated the design of the wheat bundle and farm tools was common on buttons of that period. I attached a link to an example I found online.

Hope this helps, and congrats on an awesome, early find.

Re: Sorry to take so long getting back to you on this, Mr. Dankowski:
March 28, 2018 03:41PM
Wow. Possibly older than suspected. Although....... lost around 1850'ish........ the folks would get what ever they could get....... as Florida was somewhat 'distant' from the mainstream feed.,.,.,., as compared to States to the North.

Link is not there....... does not exist.
Sorry about that.
March 29, 2018 04:16PM
Here's a link to one of many examples. All are a bit different, but you will see the similiarities:

[beltplates.com]
Re: Sorry about that.
March 29, 2018 09:39PM
Yes........ I can certainly see a 'theme' and/or 'signature'. When something was lost in the 1850's (or earlier)........ the variance is very wide....... and the era can be exceptionally wide. This is what makes the finds ... much more interesting!