Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Relic Hunt - Couple Of ID Assists ?

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Relic Hunt - Couple Of ID Assists ?
March 28, 2018 02:48PM
Finally got a break in the rain in not so sunny Sunnyvale, and got an invite from some detecting buddies to go explore some outback sites. First site they'd already located an old homestead but were searching for two more. After a brutal (for me) hike up a mountain, we didn't find the homestead that was supposed to be up there, but the view was spectacular, so still worth the effort. Did a total of a solid 8 hours of detecting at various spots, and lots of hiking around.

I had to dig all of this:

To get this:

We hiked back down to the site that they'd already found and after hours of finding nothing but bullets, and shotgun butts, I finally got my coil over some keepers. First was a well worn 1886 V nickle, it was so worn that I initially thought it was a token, then a shield nickle, but then in the sun I could see the V. Just a few feet away from that I got the badge looking thing, no idea what it is, looks like a Navy or Marines insignia, anyone have any ideas?

Also got a Southern Pacific RR seal, couple of buckles. We went to a second site, it was purportedly an old picnic grove. The day before a 1907 $10 gold eagle was dug there, and numerous other coins over the years have been dug there, from reales, seateds to barbers, one guy got a V nickle, the other guy got a toasty IHP and I got the buckle above there, it's marked PAT. MAY 2,1990. The oddball looking buckle looking thingy above it is marked PAT DEC 21, 86.

I've never dug so many beer cans, I stopped counting at a case moody smiley I ran the EQ800 in Field2, noise cancel, GB, SENS between 21-23, everything else default. Didn't seem like I dug any more iron then any other machine, got a couple of nails, and a couple of BIG pieces of iron.

If anyone has any idea what that badge looking item with the anchor on it is, I'd appreciate it.

HH,
Brian
Re: Relic Hunt - Couple Of ID Assists ?
March 28, 2018 04:16PM
Looks like a US marines buckle Brian.

That or Maybe just a mariners buckle of some sort.

Can you show us a pic of the back?

COOL find!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2018 04:58PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
March 28, 2018 05:26PM
brian, I don't have any ID's on your object, but wanted to say: That first picture, of all the modern stuff & bullet shells, surely makes you and I long to get back to some back-burner spots we're working on smiling smiley

And in case anyone missed it in your post: 1907 D $10 was just found by a local friend of ours here. Yup, chalk up another gold coin for a west coast Californian to find. Not sure why he hasn't claimed his show & tell fame on any md'ing forums yet (T'net today's find, etc...). I've only see it on local F.B. page, and no where else. He said he reads/posts on Findmall, but I haven't seen it there yet either. Maybe he's just humble and bashful smiling smiley
March 28, 2018 05:38PM
Wonder if the Anchor is Foreign...

Has that look to it ..Spain or Greece..

is it a buckle??

Could also be a merchant marine..

Dont believe I've seen a U.S. military in that design..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 28, 2018 06:19PM
Yes Tom I was thinking the same thing when I went through my finds pouch at the end of the day, there's a reason we travel to these remote sites, the trash to keepers ratio isn't punishing like some of the more local sites....but just the same their fun to detect and I can do it in a single day (much easier to get wifey "approval" too spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

MRH and Keith here's a picture of the back, looks like it has two rivits or whatnot that were fasteners, so I guess it could've been some kind of buckle:

Thanks for looking,
Brian
March 28, 2018 06:28PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a reason we travel to these remote sites, the
> trash to keepers ratio isn't punishing like some o
> f the more local sites....

Or ..... : At least if there IS a high trash ratio at other sites, it's FUN trash. Ie.: age indicators that keep you on the edge of your seat. Instead of screw caps, electrical and automotive modern chrome, etc..... I can deal with high trash ratios, as long as the trash isn't modern tabs and screwcaps smiling smiley
March 28, 2018 10:33PM
Hmmm. Head scratcher

I don’t think it’s US military now either.

Seems more like a small sash buckle type thing judging by how thin it is or maybe it was a piece attached to a mariners keepsake type box or the like. Sorta like how old furniture and travel trunks, etc had ornate pieces attached.

Dunno but pretty neat thumbs down
March 29, 2018 05:33AM
Yeah you could be right, could just be a civilian decorative item.

Whatever it is, it's neat, will look good in the relic case thumbs down