Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How good is your detector in thick iron?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: How good is your detector in thick iron?
March 31, 2018 02:08AM
For what the Equinox 600 costs, it is one of the best deals out there today for the performance. You can't go wrong with it. Heck, I ordered a suit today that cost more than the Nox 600.
March 31, 2018 02:18AM
Saw a dude post earlier. Seems this gent was using Nox and got over some good coin signals. Calls his bud over with Etrac and Notta. Could 't hear a thing. Gent thinks his Etrac is TU. Lol
Ain't nothing wrong with his Etrac. His problem is he don't understand what the Nox is doing.

Btw I found 4 coins today. In previous hunted yard - solely by me period using Etrac, CTX, Deus previous. I put Etrac over all 4 coins signal gotten with Nox. 3 out of 4 Notta on Etrac. The other Etrac id way lower than high conductive coin. This yard has trash in it, not loads. And some iron, again not loads. These 4 coins found real,close to landmarks in yard. Areas I know Inhad put coils,over before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2018 02:19AM by tnsharpshooter.
March 31, 2018 02:50AM
Sube did some cross checking with his Equinox and CTX in the wild.
He found 3 coins with the Nox next to iron that the CTX would not sound off on..
Target trace picked them up but couldn’t get any audio..

He also commented on the good depth of the Nox with several 8-9 inch coins..
March 31, 2018 03:14AM
Sometimes a new machine just clicks with you and your skill level is accelerated the 800 seems like it has a lot going for it with the different freq that they use to run at the same time if you want to run it that way. You get my vote calabash digger

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 31, 2018 12:54PM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe you guys with super ears could here but it t
> ook the Deus and Equinox to make it plain to me.

Question: Do you miss the XY screen on the Equinox ?
March 31, 2018 04:18PM
Some dont know this but I dig with the Deus by tone alone. Remote stays in the pocket. So no dont miss the screen because I never used it. I did test it on some test targets though.
March 31, 2018 06:05PM
Calabash, the pops and clicks you hear on the Tesoro are the disc circuit just barely eliminating the small iron. You can turn the disc up just a hair more to fully eliminate it. The Mojave in 0 disc will pick up 3 to 4 of the nails in your test. That's how fast the recovery is with the small concentric coil. You should just break down and get yourself a Vaquero and the 5.75 concentric for the times you find yourself in heavy iron trash with lots of vegetation you have to maneuver around that the bigger coils can't do. Think of the pops and clicks as the iron tone and everything else as bread and butter.
March 31, 2018 06:20PM
Well a lot of these Etrac experts run too much disc. They disc. Most everything except upper right corner for that Silver they crave. I never understood why You would run heavy disc. on a Tone I.D. Detector to begin with. The Tones tell You what to dig. All I run at most is 28 Quick mask. Anymore then that and You will lose deep coins period or coins close to iron. The deeper the coin the Ferrous numbers go up. Too much disc. You will not here the target. Even more so if close to iron.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2018 06:31PM by Harold,ILL..
March 31, 2018 08:23PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> Sube did some cross checking with his Equinox and
> CTX in the wild.
> He found 3 coins with the Nox next to iron that th
> e CTX would not sound off on..
> Target trace picked them up but couldn’t get any a
> udio..
>
> He also commented on the good depth of the Nox wit
> h several 8-9 inch coins..

My hunting buddy and I crossed checked a few high conductor signals the other day and the results were similar. On an 8" wheat found with the Nox the Impact gave a questionable signal from the original angle of approach and that was it. The 800 gave a full walk around response with the worst angle giving a jumpy TID of 20-28.

On a 7" deep piece of brass the LST just plain could not see it. That one in particular sold us on the Nox's ability.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2018 08:25PM by Jackpine.
April 01, 2018 03:01AM
Some seem to think I'm trying to hype the Nox or get free machines to test from minelab. This is my response from another thread about that........................Just curious whats your BEST machine for that thick ghost town iron you speak of? Everybody seems to think that people are trying to get free detectors from companies because they like a detector and show it doing good. I sold no telling how many Deus units with my videos.... I got a free coil and pin pointer from those guys and the pin pointer was only because they wanted to use my finds that made the best finds cover of eastern and western this year on their site and face book page. . I guess by my Equinox videos you can tell I'm not a Deus yes man.
If people think I'm trying to get free minelab machines you got it all wrong ..... I dont want to test machines for a company BECAUSE I SEE what those guys have to do. They have to give watered down reviews and become under obligation to keep it toned down about the negatives of the detectors they test...I was told by someone they could get me in with a certain company to test and I told them I would pass for the reasons I stated above.
I dont need to be a yes man to any company I have the money to buy any detectors I want........I dont just do test videos either I have live dig videos too. I also have live digs of my John Adams button and George Washington this year and numerous confederate buttons and war of 1812 buttons.etc. I dont just hunt in my yard I also go into the field and find priceless pieces of history too. I dug 60 something civil war buttons and pre civil war buttons last year .If you want to judge a person s skill level by finds I got a few good ones...

What I'm getting at is some might judge peoples motives and not have a clue about that person. I think I have enough finds to prove I can hunt the iron and my opinion might have a little weight to it when I talk about a machine and how it handles iron. I dont hunt ghost towns but do live in civil war era and colonial era iron loaded home sites. I dont see many others posting equinox videos here so I kinda take you post to be pointing at me.
April 03, 2018 01:22AM
I use a Vaquero, have 3 coils for it, and the 5.75 concentric works very well in trash. It's said the Vaquero is not good in iron and I did not disagree. The 8x9 coil struggled, 8x11 DD fails miserably. But, when I got that small coil, it works good and have pulled up some decent stuff at a few horrible places I'm sure the other coils would have missed. I have not found Alexander Hamilton's wife's colonial nose ring or anything like that though. But have used it alongside others with their fancy pants machines. Funny how they never seem to do any better than I can or I better than them. And when one of us do, who's to say the other would not have found it if they passed over it...
April 03, 2018 01:24AM
I got a vaquero coming so we will give it a whirl against the fancy pants machines.... any suggestions?
April 03, 2018 09:39AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> I got a vaquero coming so we will give it a whirl
> against the fancy pants machines.... any suggestio
> ns? No matter how good you think you are at this hobby. There's a million others out there that are actually a thousand times better than you are or could ever dream of being. So, don't take it out for a few hours, if you never used one, then claim you magically know everything about it, give your "professional" review, and start contradicting everyone who have been using a vaquero for years who don't have the same opinion with it as you... That's probably the best suggestion you will get in a long while. Your not the greatest thing that ever happen to the metal detecting industry and certainly don't know it all there Calabash. haha
April 03, 2018 12:22PM
That's WHY I'm asking all you Tesoro experts what I need to do to compare it to the fancy pants detectors. I mean it don't look to complicated run.... If it doesn't do good want really be my fault because I'm gonna set it up like you pros want it set up! Lets see I mean how many settings on this thing that you can change really?? 1. SENS 2 ,GROUND BALANCE, NEGATIVE GROUND BALANCE, 3 DISC, 4 VOL. Did I miss one ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 12:24PM by calabash digger.