Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Scale comparison of Equinox coils

Posted by Rick, N. MI 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Scale comparison of Equinox coils
April 01, 2018 11:15PM
5j by Rick Covert, on Flickr

Rick
Re: Scale comparison of Equinox coils
April 02, 2018 07:38AM
Interesting. I wonder why the 15 inch is elliptic in profile, it seems that it would not be significantly deeper than the 'round' 11 inch one.

I would prefer the small coil to be 'solid' in shape. I find small coils are useful in difficult hunting conditions, such as crop-stubble fields, bushes/undergrowth, where holes in the coil are a nuisance. If there was a 'solid' coil cover available, that would help.
April 02, 2018 08:40AM
Some use Lexan plastic and attach it to the coil bottom making it a solid cover. Its been a complaint by some relic hunters to that the open coils with cross overs catch on to much stuff making it harder to work..... but i think they gave up on it lol.
April 02, 2018 09:18AM
I like the solid round 5" coil on my F75 because it's snag-free. I was planning on constructing a solid bottom cover for the 11x7, probably out of some polypropylene sheet I have, as it's slippery, but I do have some ABS that could also work.

And regarding coil size: Presumably the Equinox has coil-identification inside it ( like XTerra's) , so the detector knows what size ( and type) of coil is plugged in, and hence can compensate for the differences. Such as the depth gauge calibration, and maybe response-speed.