Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Maiden voyage of the MK on the beach

Posted by therover61 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Maiden voyage of the MK on the beach
April 02, 2018 12:24AM
Synopsis of the maiden voyage of my Multi Kruzer today at 2 beaches.

[www.findmall.com]
Re: Maiden voyage of the MK on the beach
April 02, 2018 12:50AM
Good initial rundown rover1

Keep us updated as you progress with the unit and any good finds made thumbs down

Will check your vid out when posted. Not as easy/fun as some think it is especially in/around water!
April 02, 2018 01:01AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:

> Will check your vid out when posted. Not as easy/f
> un as some think it is especially in/around water!

I just reviewed the video clips. OMG I am brutal behind the camera !
April 02, 2018 01:11AM
I know it was only one hunt, but I do value your opinion. Does it seem to get the depth of the Sovereign or Excal? I had the racer 2 at the beach. Nice and stable, but lacked the depth to be competitive. I agree about the headphones. The beach is noisy especially if there is wind. A good seal on headphones is important.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 01:14AM by goodmore.
April 02, 2018 01:45AM
Goodmore,

This was my first go round with this unit. I am sure when I learn more and use other settings and up the gain it will get some deeper targets. But having used a Sov, Excal and E-Trac ( as well as CZ's) in the wet sand, at this point I would say no, it is not as deep. But that is a guess at this point since there were not many targets today in the wet sand and I could not compare to any other unit. Lets say this....I would say deeper targets would sound off better on a Sov or Excal. I feel this unit may hit them, but they would be more faint repeatables. But the MK would not null on iron and recover quicker if there is a lot of iron around. With the Sov and Excal, when you get in those areas its' slow down time. But they do sniff out some deep stuff.

But I got this unit for other reasons, one being the spot with all those nails and rusty iron. I think the MK will do better than the ML's there (not withstanding the NOX which I am sure will do just as well there). You can swing quicker and isolate targets better in my opinion.

Being it's water proof, light weight, wireless, me liking the audio, the fast recovery and unmasking, I would say it's a really great unit and fun to detect with. I also like that I can go from the wet sand and have performance and then go up to the dry, go to 19kHz and hunt for gold...or switch to 5kHz and try to sniff out some silver. It's a versatile unit.

I got this unit first over the NOX for 2 reasons. One the obvious......there aint no NOX 800's out there !!! . 2...I like the audio better.Audio is huge for me...more so than depth. My friend got his NOX 800 as one of the first to get them. He likes it a lot. We are planning on getting back to the dry sand spot in the next few days. We may compare signals but this spot is where a lot of goodies can be found so there may be no time to compare. The beach is a big place so we might not even be near each other at some points. I may end up with a NOX800 at some point. I am in no hurry.

You know for wet sanding there are few units who can stand up to the Sov GT. The coil options, hip mounting, etc. It is a really great wet sand hunter. I don't think many units can replace it. Me...I just could not get the hang of the tones. Loved the unit but I got rid of mine just for that reason...not for the fact it could not hunt. Don't get rid of the GT. BUT...I say do get either the NOX800 or MK. Either one of those in my opinion is a great addition to the arsenal if you are so inclined.

Next go round no camera. A more focused, determined hunt is in order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 01:47AM by therover61.
April 02, 2018 09:33AM
Thanks for the reply. I am always looking for the new beach machine. The truth is I have time. My favorite beach in MD has received its every four year sand replenishment a little early and now is in need of depositors. Also the accessories for the Equinox are down the road. Throw that in with my girlfriend of 12 years a tri colored collie is having difficulties right now so money is appropriated elsewhere. Love stinks! I Never cried when I parted with a detector, but I'm afraid losing her is going to rip me up. By the time I'm ready to take the plunge I`m sure there will be a few more detectors on the list. I was amazed at the stability of the Racer 2 in the wash. The Anfibio has my eye and Fisher has my ear. By then I would assume that the market on used Equinox detectors will be rolling. Thanks again.
April 02, 2018 11:30AM
I hope to get some play time in at the beach later this week. Have you done the Update?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 12:56PM by woodchiphustler.
April 02, 2018 12:54PM
Great report. Thanks!

Dean
April 02, 2018 01:31PM
woodchiphustler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope to get some play time in at the beach later
> this week. Have you done the Update?

George...I just completed the update. So I am not sure if when I ground balanced yesterday, the numbers I quoted on my report were accurate.

There were times when I could not GB in 2 or 3 tone mode and I went to Gen Mode to GB, and I have been told that may not be the best way to go and to do the update...so I did.

Was pretty easy to do. The Makro tutorial that was posted in the Makro Forum on Findmall is very helpful.
April 02, 2018 03:45PM
I will try a few things and report back.