Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nox hunts 3-31

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nox hunts 3-31
April 02, 2018 05:21PM
So I managed to get out and hunt with the Nox 800 at two different spots.

Old drive-in:

So I came up with a kooky idea to dig three pull tab/nickel signals for every high tone(penny or higher) signal(yea two days later I am still paying for it the pain is crazy). Got my camera the next day so weather permitting, I will have video next week!

totals
10 clad coins(dimes pennies quarters) I got a pic of a quarter right next to a steel bottle cap.
60 pull tabs
10 pieces of high tone metal from the speakers(not sure what they are made from die cast maybe)

Question; Does anyone know, without ANY doubts, of a machine that can tell the target is a nickel 95+% of the time? I cant believe I could find one nickel.

Cannons:

"The cannons", as my father call this spot, is a beat out pre-civil war era monument. Its hard to get a conductive target let alone a coin. It is my proving ground for new machines. I have used many machines here. I also dig everything above low foil(8 or higher on the ctx).

We have hunted there for years and got permission from the historical society, only to find out that we didn't get the right permission. This gentleman ran out of his car yelling at my father. He was caught off guard so I had to step in and calm this guy down. long story short, by the time i was done with him, he would of let us metal detect the White House.

I found one dime(1990) but the four really eye openers were 2x .22 short shells, a cool button, and a deep pull tab at 9 inches.

So no real keepers, but it's early yet.
Re: Nox hunts 3-31
April 02, 2018 06:25PM
If you don’t mind the risk of missing things and want to dig more Nickels and less trash, only dig the 12 and 13s.
Every Nickel I have found so far has been 12 and mostly 13.. Never a different number..
If it flashes 11 or 14 even once it will be a rolled up or broken Beaver Tail or slaw of some kind..
I haven’t found a War Nickel yet but I would assume it might hit 14 or so if not 13..

Bryan
April 02, 2018 06:38PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you don’t mind the risk of missing things and w
> ant to dig more Nickels and less trash, only dig t
> he 12 and 13s.
> Every Nickel I have found so far has been 12 and m
> ostly 13.. Never a different number..
> If it flashes 11 or 14 even once it will be a roll
> ed up or broken Beaver Tail or slaw of some kind..
> I haven’t found a War Nickel yet but I would assum
> e it might hit 14 or so if not 13..
>
> Bryan
Using park 1 and park 2.
I have checked 2 each different war nickels. They both read like a modern nickel.
So far based on my use of Nox, 12 ID signals have highest odds of nickel, 13 being next, then 11, with 14 being last.
I have not dug a nickel yet with 14 flashing in meter.

I have sug a few with 12/13 in window with an eleven flashing on occasionally.

Nox users wanting to be the almighty cherry picker. The 12 signals with a 13 flicker I. Call it , are the ones to go after when going after nickels.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 06:40PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 02, 2018 06:39PM
Bryan is right on. 12/13 is nickels.

Dean
April 02, 2018 06:40PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> he 12 and 13s.
>
> Bryan

I dug everything from 11 up. Someone cleaned the nickels out while leaving the tabs, I wanna know how they did it. I have two theories. One of them is a machine that can tell the difference hence the question.
April 02, 2018 06:52PM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Cabin Fever Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you don’t mind the risk of missing things and
> w
> > ant to dig more Nickels and less trash, only dig
> t
> > he 12 and 13s.
> > Every Nickel I have found so far has been 12 and
> m
> > ostly 13.. Never a different number..
> > If it flashes 11 or 14 even once it will be a ro
> ll
> > ed up or broken Beaver Tail or slaw of some kind
> ..
> > I haven’t found a War Nickel yet but I would ass
> um
> > e it might hit 14 or so if not 13..
> >
> > Bryan
>
> I dug everything from 11 up. Someone cleaned the n
> ickels out while leaving the tabs, I wanna know ho
> w they did it. I have two theories. One of them is
> a machine that can tell the difference hence the q
> uestion.

You are assuming a few things.
Number one that nickels existed there in the first place, and maybe in high numbers.
Maybe they did or maybe they didn't.

Also does the site have any iron in it?

You are also assuming whatever nickels were indeed ever present in the site were indeed masked.
Maybe they weren't.

So, a few additional,comments.
If I take a CTX or Etrac into a site of modern trash,,which nickels likely to be missed due to detecfor/frequency ops?
It likely won't be nickels being ' supposed' masked by small foil, rather the nickels these 2 detectors would miss would be caused by iron or a mid higher conductive targets, causing the CTX or Etrac to average say in the 15-29 conductive region for ID- denoting to most users- junk target.

Like a nickel,colocated with zincoln. Or a nickel dolocated with IH coin. Or a nickel colocated with shotgun hull. Really any thing reading less than copper penny/aluminum twist cap colas fed with nickel can cause (in the middle range reporting) I call it junk target. There are some things like flying eagle cents though that can live in this supposed junk target range.

So what I am saying yes there may be some nickels left in site, they may indeed read higher than 13 conductive region on Nox,Etrac,or CTX.
Speed 7 on the 800 model will sure help in sniffing out the nickels.

I will throw this in here.
Users of Nox using 5 tones and setting up a nickel window. Don't get too cute and set up window too narrow. Allow for some space to let audio flow. You can always walk for example on a 14 reading target. Same for target reading a hard 11 in the meter.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 06:59PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 02, 2018 07:14PM
Historical societies and like organizations such as archeology just don't like the hobby...even if in a library trying to find maps or historical books I am doing research etc. as mention the hobby and all help is gone..tried old driveins myself but the buried wire for speakers and such drove me crazy....watch oneself if the land is federal lest you lose your car-detector and wear handcuffs exiting...heres the kicker land does not have to be posted or marked...
April 02, 2018 07:25PM
Thanks for your replies. This drive-in ran from the 1950's to 1980's. I found a few nickels there last year. But digging 60 pull tabs(a third were beaver tails) I should of been getting at least 10 nickels. I had no discrimination except iron. 22 sens, park 1.

BTW WHAT a difference recovery speed of 3 is compared to 6! It's like night and day! Naturally, we got 6 inches of snow dumped on us so yet another week delay before getting out again.
April 02, 2018 07:40PM
Cabin Fever Wrote:
> he 12 and 13s.
>
> Bryan

Don't bank on it!
Perhaps the dirt? , but I have hunted with my buddy 4 times now while he swings his NOX and doubled his nickel count with the CTX and shown him a number of nickels he refused to dig because of the jumpy numbers. People don't dig nickels because they won't dig nickel signals and now suddenly they are digging them because they hit the magic 13. I have often found nickels with both the CTX and Etrac that read 18 -13 , 23-13 , 15-14 , etc. and all sorts of goofy numbers because of co-location and snarky dirt. Might bust your bubble but this "NOX is a nickel magnet" is a load of crap.
April 02, 2018 08:00PM
JUST SO IM CLEAR LOL. The site has 1970's pull tabs laying on the surface. There isn't much dense iron. Targets aren't very deep with exceptions.

Don't forget, last year I pulled a large cent just a few inches out of the ground there(was my first target too).

So this isn't so much a masking, or jumpy, type signal issue. Nickels should be there and in abundance. ONLY two possibilities but first, I need to eliminate the fact that there is a machine that will differentiate nickels from ALL tabs with 95+% accuracy before I can finalize..
April 02, 2018 08:30PM
Beyonder,

That's a tough one.

The only suggestion I would have, if you do want to try to dig less tabs and more nickles at that spot, is only dig those nickel type ID"s if the depth is greater than lets say, 5-6 inches.

If there are pull tabs on the surface, then the nickles have to be deeper.

Being the NOX is tuned and bangs hard on lower conductors, the ID even at depth should be accurate. 30+ years or more of those nickles slowly sinking, there can't be many at the 2-3 inch level. I would assume the nickles would since much more rapidly than the tabs.
April 02, 2018 09:29PM
Another maybe bold statement here by me.

In medium mineralized to milder ground. A nickel is more in danger of being located (give tone and ID) in the .25"-8" depth strata with Nox vs Etrac or CTX.
All wearing stock coils and assuming each detecfor is run at best setting when their coil is swept over any nickel.
And assuming the person's running the respective detectors know how to run with a relative high degree of proficiency.

The Nox is harder to fool.

Folks can believe what they want to.
This was indeed the reason behind the tech inside Equinox.

Way too many folks have too much success finding nickels with Nox, not to mean anything.
Including me in hard hunted sites with fbs type detectors.

You put that Nox 800 in speed 7 it is seeing a whole different world than a CTX or Etrac is(stocks coils on all). Not even close!!!

I notice Cal has been again very successful using his Nox.
He's a very good detectorists.
One I value highly as far as his opinions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 09:31PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 03, 2018 01:01AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Cabin Fever Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you don’t mind the risk of missing things and
> w
> > ant to dig more Nickels and less trash, only dig
> t
> > he 12 and 13s.
> > Every Nickel I have found so far has been 12 and
> m
> > ostly 13.. Never a different number..
> > If it flashes 11 or 14 even once it will be a ro
> ll

How fast were you running the machine? I hit a well detected spot not to long ago and started at 7 recovery and couldn't move more than a foot in each direction without hitting a nickle.. I lowered the recovery to 6 and most of the targets would chop or be nothing more than a pop unless I moved super slow.. moved to 8 and started digging even more nickles.
> > ed up or broken Beaver Tail or slaw of some kind
> ..
> > I haven’t found a War Nickel yet but I would ass
> um
> > e it might hit 14 or so if not 13..
> >
> > Bryan
>
> I dug everything from 11 up. Someone cleaned the n
> ickels out while leaving the tabs, I wanna know ho
> w they did it. I have two theories. One of them is
> a machine that can tell the difference hence the q
> uestion.
April 03, 2018 03:33AM
Bey,
Nox is a nickel magnet. I've dug a bunch lately. They will come in tight at 12/13. If it bounces to up 14 or down to 11 it's a tab in my experience with the Nox. The Nox is not a CTX or E-trac. It really has an affinity for the lower conductors. I've been hunting an old CCC camp ground that is still in service today. It is littered with pull tabs and yet I've managed to pull quite a few nickels from it by just digging the 12/13 numbers. I probably won't be digging any gold rings but I don't have time to dig all the tabs. Some crown caps will come in at the nickel 12/13 slot too but if you wiggle back they will drop off to a grunt. Good luck!

Dean
April 03, 2018 03:50AM
Speaking of the Equinox and Nickels..
I scored a 1906 V today and better yet a 1913 S Type 2 Buffalo! That’s the good one..

Continued my experiment today and so far the 12-13 only theory still holds..
any flash of 11 or 14 and it wasn’t a Nickel..
Hunting in Park 1..

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 04:18PM by Cabin Fever.
April 03, 2018 12:37PM
I know the lack of me finding nickels has nothing to do with the Nox or my experience. It is the site itself.

Either the previous hunter used a machine that can differentiate between nickels and targets that read exactly like nickels on other machines or, they worked the site somehow and missed the tabs.
April 03, 2018 01:24PM
Nice hunting, Bryan! We are hitting a remote ghost town site this weekend for a couple of days. I hope to duplicate your success as of late.

Dean