Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ok got a tesoro vaquero coming to test suggestions?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Ok got a tesoro vaquero coming to test suggestions?
April 04, 2018 05:43PM
DanielTN, Michael Czahur 53 silver has a demonstration on youtube hoe to set up the golden micromax in a park for gold ring hunting. Demonstrates it on targets in the video.
April 04, 2018 06:12PM
There are Hot and cold Tesoro's as I have a Golden uMax. Its New tone model though that I believe is at least an inch hotter than normal. I can get a repeatable High tone Hit on a 10" Dime in My soil which is moderate. It is teamed with the 8" Brown donut coil that just seems to gel rite as tried other coils even same one and not close to same depth? I got it from a longtime Tesoro Guy who had quite a few of them and this was the Hottest Golden He has owned.
As far as ingnoring aluminum trash and finding Gold have not found that to be true. But it does have one of the best notch set ups made. I got the narrow set on mine to eliminate all pull tabs but still hit a couple small gold rings I got. But some foil still bleeds through so not perfect. I just use it to check one of the lower tone hits when I get one as like to run at 0 Disc. to increase depth.
And lastly I run My single 9 volts all the way down and never lost any depth so at least on My Tesoro it's not true. It is Hot on Big Silver though as took to a Park I pounded with My Etrac and CZs and Found two Silver halfs and a Barber Quarter in a week. I love mine.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2018 06:15PM by Harold,ILL..
April 04, 2018 08:18PM
[youtu.be]

Welgund Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure how to post videos on here but you can wa
> tch scannerguy 1968 video on YouTube of the Tejon
> and Vaquero and see how he sets them up and his te
> sts.
April 04, 2018 11:33PM
Welgund Wrote:
> DanielTN, Michael Czahur 53 silver has a demonstra
> tion on youtube hoe to set up the golden micromax
> in a park for gold ring hunting. Demonstrates it
> on targets in the video.

I have saw that video but that's not what I was talking about. I could go through my junk bucket and find random trash targets that read far enough apart in ID above ground, and on any machine with adjustable tone breaks, set it to give different tones than some gold rings. A person could make any machine with tone breaks or bins to look that way The problem is, two trash targets do not represent the full width of all low conductive junk, and you are going to end up with trash targets overlapping with gold. There's just too many shapes and sizes of rings and of trash. I believe if the detector were as effective as some claim, then it should easily be replicated in the wild on live targets. But in the end where the rubber meets the road, they are still digging junk to get gold like with any other machine.
April 05, 2018 02:47AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> I know you know what it will do... you have been u
> sing it for years. I'm interested in what it will
> DO againest the so called fancy pants detectors.

WELL ???

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
April 05, 2018 03:56AM
Calabash I think u will be pleasantly surprised how well the tesoros will do in the iron. If u ever do keep a tesoro for ur own personal use send in ur control box and favorite coil to Rusty and have him tune the coil to the machine for some added performance. Which should already be done to a matching combo. Man i miss my tejon wish i woulda kept it. That thing was as deep as any other machine ive ever used.
My preference is the Vaquero
April 05, 2018 12:19PM
calabash digger
...does negative GB on these detectors have any negative affects in iron?
No, not if it is a 'proper' and 'functional' Ground Balance for the Discriminate mode and not too Negative for that mode. When the manual GB is adjusted in the Discriminate mode for peak performance and to be close to spot-on, it will result in a Negative GB in the Threshold-based All Metal mode.

Savvy Tesoro users are aware that most Tesoro models are designed such that the silent search Discriminate mode has a bit of a positive offset from the All Metal mode Ground Balance setting. That was explained to me long ago as a way to eliminate falsing from the Disc. mode if the GB setting was 'off' from the ground mineral being searched, or if someone moved from milder ground to a more highly mineralized ground.

I have used a technique since about '81, and especially since '83 when I started keeping one or more Tesoro's in my detector battery all the time, that I named 'Power Balancing' and is a method to manually adjust the Ground Balance while in the silent-search Discriminate mode for peak performance. Once accomplished, the Disc. mode will have the more efficient GB but the Threshold-based All Metal mode will then have a negative GB setting. It will still function OK for Pinpointing targets, but not be useful if a persona wanted to hunt in the All Metal mode.

Because each detector model can have slight differences in circuitry, and they can also be slight differences based on the search coil in use, I have found that you can't just guess a GB control change, such as Ground Balancing in All Metal and then turning the GB control ¼-turn to the left, or to the Negative direction. Sometimes that can be okay, but it also might not be enough to get a best GB setting for the Disc. mode, or it might even be too much and result in a negative GB in the Discriminate mode and cause falsing.

As for the particular model and search coil choice, having owned and used several of the Tejón and Vaquero models and evaluating a lot of search coils, I prefer the Vaquero with the high-tone mod due to my impaired hearing.. I have the newer 'black' version Vaquero and two search coils to fit my needs. The standard 8X11 DD RSD for more wide-open fields and such where targets are minimal, and I keep the 6" Concentric coil mounted full-time for the bulk of my hunting because I generally am working dense iron debris sites and this coil provides me the best performance in those conditions.

Matter of fact I have my Vaquero and one of my TID units loaded in my Tahoe in hopes of a break in the weather today. I'll be at the VA Hospital today until about noon to deal with my spine and back problems, but after noon I hope to beat the coming rain storm and get in some hunt time. Might have a good find or two to report with the Vaquero.

Monte

PS: Phone number below.

"Your EYES ... the only 100% accurate form of Discrimination!"

Stinkwater Wells Trading Post
Metal Detector Evaluations and Product Reviews
monte@ahrps.org ... or ... monte@stinkwaterwells.com
503-481-8147
Fisher-1, Makro-1, Minelab-1, Nokta-1, Tesoro-2, White's-1
Garrett MS-3 -- Killer B's 'Hornet' & 'Wasp'
Note: Detectors are listed alphabetically by Brand. Models are chosen based on search site conditions.
*** All working well today to make memories for tomorrow. ***
April 05, 2018 01:01PM
Good luck at the hospital Monte and as always thanks for another informative post.
April 05, 2018 01:04PM
Kickindirt Wrote:
> Calabash I think u will be pleasantly surprised ho
> w well the tesoros will do in the iron. If u ever
> do keep a tesoro for ur own personal use send in u
> r control box and favorite coil to Rusty and have
> him tune the coil to the machine for some added pe
> rformance. Which should already be done to a match
> ing combo. Man i miss my tejon wish i woulda kept
> it. That thing was as deep as any other machine iv
> e ever used.
Don't have to send it in for tuning on models that have adjustable ground balancing, except for the Cortes. That's what I believe they "tune" on the preset GB units. I'd advise sending it in with the biggest coil you plan on using also. Smaller coils tend to tip the set balance to the negative rather than to the positive that going up in size will more than likely do and will decrease depth.
April 05, 2018 04:33PM
Supernaut66 Wrote:

> Don't have to send it in for tuning on models that
> have adjustable ground balancing, except for the C
> ortes. That's what I believe they "tune" on the pr
> eset GB units. I'd advise sending it in with the b
> iggest coil you plan on using also. Smaller coils
> tend to tip the set balance to the negative rather
> than to the positive that going up in size will mo
> re than likely do and will decrease depth.

Idk man when I sent my Eldorado in he asked what coil I used most and tuned it to that coil so just going off of what the man at Tesoro said

Anyway can't wait to hear what old Cal has to say
April 06, 2018 09:37AM
Kickindirt Wrote:
> Supernaut66 Wrote:
>
> > Don't have to send it in for tuning on models th
> at
> > have adjustable ground balancing, except for the
> C
> > ortes. That's what I believe they "tune" on the
> pr
> > eset GB units. I'd advise sending it in with the
> b
> > iggest coil you plan on using also. Smaller coil
> s
> > tend to tip the set balance to the negative rath
> er
> > than to the positive that going up in size will
> mo
> > re than likely do and will decrease depth.
>
>
> Idk man when I sent my Eldorado in he asked what c
> oil I used most and tuned it to that coil so just
> going off of what the man at Tesoro said
>
> Anyway can't wait to hear what old Cal has to say
I think the Eldorado had full adjustments. GB, threshold, sensitivity, etc. Wonder what they were "tuning" for it.