Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

My Etrac's first ring is a good one

Posted by Mike Hillis 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
My Etrac's first ring is a good one
April 05, 2018 05:53PM
I'm still learning my Etrac. I have had it out a couple of times high conductive coin hunting but hadn't jewelry hunted with it yet. Last Friday I took it to one of my gold jewelry patches to see how it would do. I left the pattern as the stock pattern, Fast Recovery On, Trash Density High, Difficult ground selected, and 4 tone conductive tone. Auto Sensitivity +1. Noise cancel resulted in channel 10 with an Auto sensitivity level of 12. Tried manual sensitivity to 15 but was too noisy so I put it back on Auto and left it alone.

This particular patch is turf and has given me 4 other rings; 1 silver, 1 junk and 2 gold and some nick nacks. The hot spot isn't very large, maybe 40 by 60 yards. I've removed a bit of non-ferrous trash to make it easier and faster to cover. The grass was well cut and watered earlier in the day and the Etrac swung real nice with the coil gliding easily on the grass. I focused on the two lower tones and started comparing display results with the targets; a little canslaw, a couple of new stay tabs, some little alum bandage clips, Beer crown caps and some of those little alum caps that come on those liqueur shot bottles the convenience stores sell here.

Anyway....I got a nice steady low tone and a 12 - 01 signal. Pinpoints shallow. My electronic probe, in this case the TRX, confirms my pinpoint. I've got a new Tek Point but haven't put it in the pouch yet so the TRX is still in use as it lives in the pouch. Anyway.... Out comes the screwdriver and from about 2", maybe 2-1/2" deep out pops a silver rim. Tab? I pull it out of the dirt and low and behold a ring. With a stone. Silver colored, with some weight. Gonna be gold. Slid it into the back pocket to look at later and continued to hunt for about an hour more. Nothing else of consequence found so off to the house.

The ring cleaned up nice. It is about a size 6 or 7 white gold engagement ring with about a 1/2 caret marquise diamond in it. I haven't got picture up yet but it looks just like this one I found on ebay [www.ebay.com]-

Mine isn't quite as nice and shiny like the ebay example though and I don't know if its 14kt or 18kt gold as the marking isn't legible. I'll have to take it to my gold buyer and have him test it for me. It also looks like one of my other 18kt white gold rings finds in that the Rhodium coating has worn away and the outside part of the band has a very slight buttery tinge to it but the inside of the band is still bright. The stone is VERY pretty though. I'm glad my screwdriver didn't knock it out of the setting while I was recovering it.

I'll get a picture up on Steve's site over the weekend and get it tested sometime next week for gold content and give an update.

Not a bad start for the Etrac in my book and wanted to share.

HH
Mike
Re: My Etrac's first ring is a good one
April 05, 2018 06:00PM
That's a way to get started. I also like the 4 Tone Option on the Etrac. It is Hot on all conducters across the board.
April 05, 2018 07:07PM
Congratulations Mike very good start with the Etrac.
April 05, 2018 07:39PM
Nice start Mike, that's a little beauty!

Tom

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.
April 05, 2018 10:54PM
Nice find.
Done paying for Etrac already.
Congrats.
April 06, 2018 01:31AM
Super find Mike.....never used the E-trac but used all the Explorer series and our best people kept it simple and excelled so keep this in mind and don't get fancy....
April 06, 2018 02:10AM
Nice find Mike thumbs down
April 30, 2018 05:06PM
Confirmed 18 kt. Finally got a picture up.

[www.findmall.com]

HH
Mike
April 30, 2018 07:25PM
With it being 18k the stone should be good??
April 30, 2018 08:13PM
Nice find there Mike/gotta love gold rings with stones in them thumbs down
May 01, 2018 02:15AM
Awesome ring! Since about 90% of all rings hit the #12 line try using Bills trashy park program and then open up the 12 line only all the way across. This will eliminate a lot of trash and still hit the cleaner rings.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 01, 2018 02:19AM
Nice one Mike, that like we paid for a chunk of your Etrac thumbs down
May 01, 2018 04:14AM
NICE ring, Mike!

I would not have dug a 12-01 on my CTX unless on the beach, and only MAYBE, then. SO much tiny crap lives down in those low single CO digits. And for me, I just haven't found any audio clue that says THIS is a "better" low tone to dig. I try to listen for roundness, etc. -- but those low tones usually all sound "the same" to me. I think for SURE I'm hitting a nice round one, sweep it from all 360 degrees, no change in tone, solid, never-wavering CO number all the way around...it HAS to be round, right?

Can slaw...

I don't know, Mike, but I hand it to you. Who digs a 12-01....in a trashy park...

I guess YOU do! Shows what I know... LOL!

Steve
May 01, 2018 04:35PM
Thanks for the tip, Kenny.

Steve, This was patch gold. A patch is a little hot spot that has the right ingredients (cover, activity, clientele) to produce re-occurring jewelry finds over time. I found my last ring from this patch back in early December with a little BH Tracker IV. I get about three keeper rings a year from this patch and I hunt it about every 60 days thereabouts. There is very little trash because I've cleaned it out over time to make it more efficient to hunt so there were not very many 12-01 signals to recover.

HH
Mike
May 02, 2018 03:50AM
Mike,

This is really fascinating to me. You have this down to a science...

Boy could I learn a thing or two from you!

Steve