Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

PROS AND CONS OF ONE BEEP DETECTORS?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: PROS AND CONS OF ONE BEEP DETECTORS?
April 07, 2018 07:12PM
A deus has the most nuanced audio ive ever heard on a detector. Can tell you a lot by tone alone. You gents seem to think some don't know how to hunt by tones. Watch my deus hunt videos . Do you see the remote? I hunt that machine by tones alone, I consider it a top notch machine. I also consider the f75, t2, nokta impact top notch too. Heres a serious question... can your one tone machine give you as much info as a GOOD multi tone machine from the tones? My guess is no but hey I could be wrong. Those updates your knocking are a great thing just check out the deus 4.1 didn't have to run out and but a new machine every time I want to run a different freq... vista machines kinda come to mind.... 25 kh was the greatest but now the 30kh is the best so fork over another 800 bucks.
April 07, 2018 07:49PM
Calabash, you have the Vaquero. Get yourself the 5.75 concentric, go to the trashes iron infested place you have hot with your Deus and 800. Set the Vaq up how you did in the video and go to it. Dig all repeatable Single Tones. See what you find. Listen to the tone before you dig it. Is it loud and long? Dig it, it's a stove part. Short and crisp? Dig it, horse tack. Mellow and soft? Brush the ground with your boot, .22 casing. Use it and learn it and maybe that will answer some questions. We are not saying that the Deus, 800, Fors relic etc aren't great machjnes, heck I have had the Deus since 2012, use it all the time. But, I havee found a lot the Deus and 800 in there current forms couldn't get. A few years back I was out all morn with the Deus, walked back to the truck to have a beer. Grabbed my Eldorado micromax with 5.75 coil on it and began hunting around my truck in the thick sagebrush. Beer in one hand, tesoro in the other. I stuck that little coil down into the middle of a sage bush and BEEP! I turned the disc all the way up and it didn't disc out. The tone was crisp and round. I knew it right there, @#$%& that's a coin. 6 inches down under that Bush was a 1858 seated quarter. Could the Deus and Nox hit that? Sure if the bush wasn't there. All good targets are not just laying out in areas that a 9 or 11 in coil can get to.
The Deeptech Gold Gain is 2 tone, iron and everything else. If your turn the iron volume all the way down so all you hear is a high tone every once and awhile, you dig that high tone.
One thing Tesoro offers over most every manufacturer today is the small concentric coi. Nokta, Makro offers a 7in for their line and I'm waiting on one for my multi Kruzer. Should be dynamite in heavy iron trash.
April 07, 2018 07:58PM
The Vista Gold Gain is a different animal than the previous Gold version and not due to the different frequency in my opinion.

The audio is different and the Gain function working in conjunction with the Sensitivity opens up a totally new way of setting up the machine.

It can be run as a one tone unit, but running 2 tone and setting the iron volume up is the way to go. The main thing is the audio on this unit, once you start to learn it, is very unique. Totally different than any other unit I have used in the past and if I had to compare it to one, it would be the old Baron CoinTrax I had back in the day. I sure wish the interface on that unit was simpler...would have kept it.

There are audio nuances at the edge of targets and yes....rounder, smoother targets can be distinquished from jagged, sharp edged targets coin sized and up. Old ring pulls with the tongue still attached that aren't too deep sound different than a nickle. Square tabs are a bit tougher. Been testing this out in real world conditions trying to call out the target after comparing the target using an ID machine. Low conductors only as it is tough to call nickle from a quarter at depth. Shallow targets you can raise the coil to get a general idea but once I determine the target is non-ferrous, I just dig. I don't mess around much with trying to figure out dig or no dig.

Sure, there are a lot of targets that sound the same, but the main objective of this unit is to sniff out non-ferrous targets...ANY non-ferrous target.

The key (as with all other units for the most part), is when you get into an iron patch, to slow down and hit the area at all angles and be meticulous in your search pattern. If there is a non-ferrous target in that iron, the VGG will hit it with a high tone.

As stated before...using good headphones is a must on this unit to hear those nuances. At least for me. My ears are tuned for an analog signal. The digital units audio are nice, but for some reason my brain responds to an analog units audio better. Digital units have a lot of other features that the analogs don't.

Isn't it wonderful we all have lots of options in this great hobby.
April 07, 2018 10:41PM
Speaking of Tesoro, I have a serious question. Why wasn't their Cortes a popular detector? When you see/hear people talking about Tesoro machines, it is never mentioned.
April 07, 2018 10:51PM
The Cortes would have been a big hit if they put the sum tones in Disc. Mode like a normal Tone I.D. Detector. And also carry the Manual G.B. over to Disc. Mode. Just those two things and it would have sold like hot cakes. Sometimes I just don't get Tesoro's thinking?
April 07, 2018 10:57PM
1) Fixed GB in disc mode
2) Lumped good targets within a few numbers
3) Small screen
4) A too-negative Ground Balance that is factory preset in the Disc. mode

But back in the day had two of them. Bought one at the same time I had a MXT. The Cortes for coin hunting matched the MXT in performance at schoolyards and parks. I actually liked the Cortes better.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
April 07, 2018 11:01PM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A deus has the most nuanced audio ive ever heard o
> n a detector. Can tell you a lot by tone alone. Yo
> u gents seem to think some don't know how to hunt
> by tones. Watch my deus hunt videos . Do you see t
> he remote? I hunt that machine by tones alone, I c
> onsider it a top notch machine. I also consider th
> e f75, t2, nokta impact top notch too. Heres a se
> rious question... can your one tone machine give y
> ou as much info as a GOOD multi tone machine from
> the tones? My guess is no but hey I could be wron
> g. Those updates your knocking are a great thing j
> ust check out the deus 4.1 didn't have to run out
> and but a new machine every time I want to run a d
> ifferent freq... vista machines kinda come to mind
> .... 25 kh was the greatest but now the 30kh is th
> e best so fork over another 800 bucks.
Can't really say. I have used, not owned, a few mid priced multi tone detectors. Nokta Fors Core, the first Makro Racer, At-Pro, and will admit I did kinda like Fors Core and hated that at-pro. Guess that the Vaquero was the first detector I bought and never even touched one before it arrived. I used it a lot with the 8x9 that came with it for years before buying other coils. So, i'm use to the single tone and gives me all I need to decide to dig or not. Yes, Tesoro's may be antiquated technology compared to today's standards. But, in no way are the Vaq or Tejon outclassed by any recreational machine of any price from what i've seen or experienced. I'd rather have only one detector that i'm real good with and know. Than having a half dozen or more that i'm marginally good at best with anyone of them.

April 07, 2018 11:27PM
Ahh so it only had tone ID in all metal or something similar? That is odd. It also sounds like the ground balance system Fisher went with on the 1270 too...worked in all metal but had fixed position in disc mode. I think when the Cortes came out, I was transitioning to Fisher or Whites machines and never did own one. I have an uncle that wanted one bad but ended up getting a deal on a Whites XLT and still to date, that is all he uses.
April 07, 2018 11:30PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> A deus has the most nuanced audio ive ever heard o
> n a detector. Can tell you a lot by tone alone.

The tones are really subjective to the user and how they mind meld with a machine. For you it was the Deus, for others could be something else. For example, I hated the Deus tones and would take Minelab's 50 tones all day long. I only put a 100 hours on my Deus before I sold it, and obviously, I'm not saying the next guy couldn't pull more out of it, or that I could if I wanted to keep it. But simply hating the tones of the Deus was enough to ditch it for me. It could have walked me over to gold and smacked me in the face with silver all day long and I still would have sold it just on how the tones sounded.
April 09, 2018 04:10AM
Daniel Tn
Speaking of Tesoro, I have a serious question. Why wasn't their Cortes a popular detector? When you see/hear people talking about Tesoro machines, it is never mentioned.
It was introduced about 2000-'01 and had an MSRP almost the same as White's XLT which had already been around about 6-7 years and fell way short of what top-end Target ID models offered at the time.

Yes, it was a Tesoro so it provided the well respected slow-motion/quick-response that most Tesoro models featured, but it lacked a lot compared with the competition from virtually every manufacturer with models in that price range. The All Metal mode featured manual GB but the Disc. mode GB was internally preset. It lacked Tone ID in the Discriminate mode. The visual Target ID had a limited number of ID 'segments' and bunched a lot of high-conductors in one segment. The TID display was poorly designed with dinky-sized read-outs and it was hard for a lot of people to clearly see the control marking and/or display read-out,

Due to the internally preset GB, changing search coils on many specimens resulted in poor performance with a lot of falsing in moderate to higher mineralized ground because the accessory coil couldn't be 'calibrated' to the detector in the Disc. mode because it lacked any automated or manual GB capability. In short, it was an advancement in design at the time for Tesoro, but it was very tardy in the marketplace and lacked a lot of the features and adjustment functions most competitors offered at that time with a similar or even lower MSRP.

Monte
April 09, 2018 08:06AM
Is not easy. For hard iron carpet places only two tone machine like Vista. For medium Whites V3i with mixed stereotype mode. Multi tone is perfect but also after few hours you are overwhelmed by too many different signals.
April 09, 2018 02:11PM
Two tone systems - hear the iron but have it ID’d - preferably with variable break-point and iron volume - add to that the “audio intelligence” - “blendy-bleedy” audio reporting of a machine like a Vista Gold - then you have a relic machine which can be extremely effective.

One tone - either get bashed with all the iron and have to cross-check in discrim or disco out the iron and loose valuable intel about the site.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2018 02:16PM by lytle78.
April 09, 2018 05:48PM
I like 1N audio mode on the F75 for tiny target hunting but that's not really a single tone as its VCO.

I do like a single tone on the V3 correlate mode but I run that mixed mode too, so..... again, not really a true single tone.

HH
Mike
April 10, 2018 06:48AM
i've had the vista smart,deus and others but to be honest,although it only had two tones, vista smart had the most expressive sound of all
To calabash-digger
April 10, 2018 02:26PM
calabash-digger
A deus has the most nuanced audio ive ever heard on a detector. Can tell you a lot by tone alone.
The key point here is it is the most nuanced audio that YOU have ever heard. There were a few reasons I didn't take to the Deus and one is that I just do not care for the audio.

calabash-digger
You gents seem to think some don't know how to hunt by tones. Watch my deus hunt videos . Do you see the remote? I hunt that machine by tones alone, I consider it a top notch machine. I also consider the f75, t2, nokta impact top notch too.
I have HAD a couple of F75's and half-dozen T2's and generally relied mainly on the audio response. In my 'Detector Team' today are the Nokta Impact, Relic and CoRe, Makro racer 2 and Multi-Kruzer and White's MX-7 that feature different audio Tone ID options, plus a Tesoro Vaquero and Mojave that are single-tone. Everything I have is 'top notch' in performance in their group, and I rely on audio response 90% of the time ... with all of them.

calabash-digger
Heres a serious question... can your one tone machine give you as much info as a GOOD multi tone machine from the tones? My guess is no but hey I could be wrong.
NO, my single-tone Tesoro's can't give me as much audio info as all my multi-tone units. But, having spent 35 years using Tesoro detector along with other makes and models, I have learned how to interpret a lot of subtle audio behavior that can help me classify some trash.

I have 6 different TID/Tone ID detectors loaded in my Tahoe right now, and also have my single-tone Vaquero along as well. Like all detector a good Tesoro has its place afield, especially for those who know it.

Monte
April 14, 2018 01:36PM
Have to agree with Monte. There is a time and a place for a Tesoro. Every time I trade/sell one, I immediately feel the need to replace it.

I currently run a Kruzer and an 8" coil Compadre. The Compadre, so simple, but finds stuff, for whatever reason, left behind by other units. Something about the disc. from Tesoro that is simply reliable.

Tesoro language, in those signal nuances that has to be understood to know. It will catch you digging worthy targets, that for whatever reason, weren't as pronounced as diggable, by many multi-tone machines.
April 14, 2018 09:10PM
There are a lot of little nuances in single tone machines. I cut my teeth on single tone detectors. Even to this day, with machines that are multi tone capable, I find myself resorting to single or 2 tone most of the time. The Minelab machines introduced me to multi tone conductive but I found myself reverting back to simpler tones. It's all in what you get use to I guess.

When I relic hunt, I do like 2 tone...one for iron and one for everything that's not iron. When I coin hunt, I prefer 3 or 4 tone. I don't need anything more. To be honest, if I can set tone bins/breaks, I will set one high tone to encompass nickels and high conductor coins, and a low tone for everything else, while discing out iron.

This is why I took to the pulse machines so easily. 2 tone.
August 09, 2018 04:51PM
this is true! have used tesoros for years,and there are differences in "quality" of a single tone!..my "mojave"
also has "modulated audio" on coins at depth!..hell of a coin sniper,in my opinion, once you listen carefully to
what the detector is telling you!..takes some time but,if you "know" the audio,you can have a ton of fun,and isn't THAT
what's it's really all about?..best damn $251.00 i have ever spent on a detector! ..outrageous" coin sniper with that 7" concentric coil on board,
especially in trash!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 09, 2018 05:07PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> OK you got me there ... I don't know the nuances o
> f the one tone beep and dig machine but a deaf man
> could hear them on some on the multi freq machines
> made today. It didn't sound to round and crisp on
> that 10 inch silver quareter when I thumbed it. I
> did hear the difference though on the half ... the
> bullet and the 10 inch quarter sound real close. Y
> ou guys must have some great ears to be able to de
> tect those subtle changes all day long. I like a d
> etector that screams at me and says hey dummy you
> might need to look at this but to each his on.
>
> I got a serious question though for you guys who k
> now these machines. Do you think you can out cherr
> y pick a proficient user of a multi tone machine w
> ith your Tesoro s??

it is possible,IF you set the discriminate to eliminate everything ,except coins,and i often do this if i just can't be bothered
to interpret tones on any given day! ..know this though,interpreting tones on a tesoro,IS part of the FUN of the hobby,and WHAT makes
tesoros "relevant" in my view!..different 'strokes" for different folks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 09, 2018 05:24PM
The Equinox 800 is an awesome one beep relic machine when you run it in Gold 1 mode.

August 09, 2018 07:21PM
Wow who resurrected this thread? Thanks for the comments Monte about the detectors. I don't need 6 detectors to do what I do. BTW im not smart enough to run that many. As for the audio of machines that's a personal preference. As for the Deus audio its a very nuanced audio if you learn it. Guys can argue about Tesoros till their blue in the face. Fact is they have one problem that puts them behind the pack. No iron tone...…IMO some don't have a problem with that. As for me being a relic hunter I need to know the iron densitiy of the ground in real time with out having to change the disc circuit and all that jazz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 07:31PM by calabash digger.
August 09, 2018 11:00PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Wow who resurrected this thread? Thanks for the c
> omments Monte about the detectors. I don't need 6
> detectors to do what I do. BTW im not smart enough
> to run that many. As for the audio of machines tha
> t's a personal preference. As for the Deus audio i
> ts a very nuanced audio if you learn it. Guys can
> argue about Tesoros till their blue in the face. F
> act is they have one problem that puts them behind
> the pack. No iron tone...…IMO some don't have a p
> roblem with that. As for me being a relic hunter I
> need to know the iron densitiy of the ground in re
> al time with out having to change the disc circuit
> and all that jazz.

easily done just by running "all metal" at the 6 o'clock position on the mojave!
listen to all the iron you want!.personally,i am hunting for coins ,and listening to iron
to me,is just a "giant pain in the ass!!"..i'm just saying'..can understand your concern for wanting to listen to iron
if you are a relic hunter!
August 10, 2018 12:05AM
I had a Vaquero, sold it after 6 months. Then, several years later bought a black Vaquero and after 6 months sold it too. I tried and tried to get used to the tone that they talk about but I do have some hearing loss and I chalked it up to that. I tried. Believe me I tried. I did find small pieces of gold jewelry with it and lots of coins but I could not for the life of me get used to what the detector was telling me. I do hunt in very trashy parks. There are not any relics or old homesteads to hunt where I live, so I stick to mainly city parks. They are newer parks and have been hunted so many times. I now use mainly the Deus and after using it for a year now, I have come to love it. I did purchase a Makro Multi Kruzer and am having fun playing with it but I got it because it is waterproof and I live fairly close to the Gulf.

Personally, it makes no difference to me what detector a person uses. It all comes down to what you like and have come to learn and whatever detector a person likes is fine with me. Knowing the detector by putting in the time with it is the main thing. That is where the success comes in to play. Knowing the detector.

For me and my way of hunting, I want a multi tone detector with a meter that is light and I will stick with my Deus. At least for now. But I will always have a multi tone detector.

This is a great discussion that I am enjoying.
August 10, 2018 01:16AM
jmaryt the problem with that is you will dig all the iron you want too...lol . Have you ever tried to locate a relic site ? Listen to the iron and it clues you in....new sites need to hear the iron . Old sites you have hunted 900 times not so much.
August 10, 2018 02:22AM
Calabash, you make it sound like all of us that ran around in the 90s with Tesoro detectors never hunted a site loaded with iron.lol I have lots of old homesteads, railroad camps, ghost towns, mining camps etc that I have hit with Bandido2, Bandido2 micromax, Eldorados, Vaqueros, Tejons, mojaves. A lot of them you wouldn't even know they were there except maybe I would see something that would make me want to investigate. Every one of my sites I hit from 1993 to 2004 or so when I got the MXT I went back and hit with every detector since and yes, I found a few items but nothing like when I first went through them with my Tesoros. In some cases, nothing at all.
How hard is it to when you see a place you think might have been habitation to turn your disc to zero, walk over to it swinging and if you start to get lots of beeping, turn the disc up til you knock out a square nail and start hunting. Dig everything after that that gives a good beep. It's a no brainer.
August 10, 2018 02:31AM
I agree that some one tone machines have a descriptive one tone. Some of the deepest relics were pulled out with the Fisher 1265 / 1266. Yet it is very noisy and takes a long time before understanding all the snap crackle pop. As far as Tesoro....the older pre umax models had better audio, but the newer 4 pin (coil) models are way deeper. I havent used all the Tesoro models, but quite a few. The multi tone Golden Umax (new tones) may be the better all purpose one to have.
August 10, 2018 02:55AM
Most of my hunting is for CW relics or old home sites where I want to dig non-ferrous. I need one or 2 tones.More tones are useless, to me, in this situation. When I was using the E800, I used 1 tone, nickels, high tone and zincs on up, ran a high tone, too. I used the Gold Mode with only a single tone to hunt relics most of the time. Less confusion and simpler for me. When the big box Bandido came out, I hunted in AM and switched to disc. on a target to qualify it... Hunted over a year with a LST and loved it. The audio was modulated and with a few months of hunting with the machine, I could tell most of the time what is under the coil.. Now I am using a Rutus Alter 71 and what little I have been hunting, I am using one tone. I am going to set it up for coins with disc running up to the lower ID number on nickels. Then I will notch out right about nickels to the low side of zincs. I can assign any audio tone I want to to either one or just one freq. No flaming, just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.. Richard
August 10, 2018 04:28AM
yes! i am very much aware of this,but as i said, i "don't" "run" the tesoro at "all metal"..i am hunting for coins!
i don't care "two @#$%&" about iron!..i am just saying you "can" listen for iron all you want,but ya gotta run the detector in all metal to do so,
and "no",i don't dig any of it,as i am eliminating it at a higher discrimination setting!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
August 10, 2018 04:39AM
Welgund Wrote:
> Calabash, you make it sound like all of us that ra
> n around in the 90s with Tesoro detectors never hu
> nted a site loaded with iron.lol I have lots of o
> ld homesteads, railroad camps, ghost towns, mining
> camps etc that I have hit with Bandido2, Bandido2
> micromax, Eldorados, Vaqueros, Tejons, mojaves. A
> lot of them you wouldn't even know they were there
> except maybe I would see something that would make
> me want to investigate. Every one of my sites I h
> it from 1993 to 2004 or so when I got the MXT I we
> nt back and hit with every detector since and yes,
> I found a few items but nothing like when I first
> went through them with my Tesoros. In some cases,
> nothing at all.
> How hard is it to when you see a place you think m
> ight have been habitation to turn your disc to zer
> o, walk over to it swinging and if you start to ge
> t lots of beeping, turn the disc up til you knock
> out a square nail and start hunting. Dig everythi
> ng after that that gives a good beep. It's a no b
> rainer.

this is true and i am NOT piling on!..all ya gotta do to 'check out a "new site is set the tesoro for "all metal"
then just swing your brains out until ya contact your iron! tells ya all ya need to know about the site!..what he said!
new site run in all metal old site run at higher disc. setting!..simple! don't need an equinox,or any other heavy money detector
with multi tones to do this! find your iron, concentrate your hunt around that immediate area! with a tesoro,if relic hunting,eliminate your
"small" iron then hunt your brains out, dig your bigger iron! what's NOT to like?..i need "multi tones" for that?..change out the tesoro's small coil for a
larger coil that covers more ground!
August 10, 2018 01:43PM
Oh my someone said something about his precious.... I don't care what detector you use. I want and need to hear the iron to understand the layout of a relic site. I hunt old home sites mainly. I want to know where the iron is on that site. Barn , out house, hog pen, carriage house, main house , Trash pit, etc. Iron is the key to old sites .I can do this very easily with the detectors I use. I dug 60 civil war and pre civil war military buttons last year doing this.

So I will stick with my way! I know some use tesoros on iron loaded sites and find stuff.…… I use 5 tones on the Equinox and pitch on the Deus.... I understand the 1 or 2 tones on relic sites BUT I just find that a boring way to hunt. The way I hunt I can tell you when im over a GOOD target (button , coin , etc) a HIGH majority of the time and I find that to be a FUN way to hunt. …….It all boils down to personal preference. Seems like a lot of the OLE timers on here don't like the NEW stuff.