Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

PROS AND CONS OF ONE BEEP DETECTORS?

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
PROS AND CONS OF ONE BEEP DETECTORS?
April 06, 2018 06:39PM
I did a video of the Vaquero and Minelab equinox 800 compared in my test garden and posted it yesterday. These are my views of the downside of a one tone machine verse a multi tone machine.multi tones verse single tone
Re: PROS AND CONS OF ONE BEEP DETECTORS?
April 06, 2018 06:57PM
I haven't watched your video (yet) but would take a single tone detector over a multi tone any day. But I have to say that I like the iron tone if I decide to activate it on the DeepTech Vista detectors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2018 06:58PM by SkiWhiz.
April 06, 2018 07:10PM
Please take the time to watch the video and please come back here and tell us why you would prefer a one tone over a multi tone machine.. If you see where I am in error about what I said please show me. thanks.
April 06, 2018 07:51PM
OK I’m going to admit to owning not one, but two Tesoro detectors (Outlaw and Mojave) and I sold them both without even using them.

I just couldn’t get past a single tone (which I’ve tried on my Multi-tone machines and didn’t like) and no TID display.

To me it was akin to going back to a beeper, no not a pager, but a beeper, and anybody here using a Tesoro knows what I mean.

Check out my YouTube channel: [www.youtube.com]
April 06, 2018 08:06PM
my first was a tesro bandito. The machine had one tone, but on coins and rings, it had a nice round sound, you could tell the difference by the tone's response. Then I went to the spectrum xlt. I didn't use one fifth of that machine I should have.
April 06, 2018 08:11PM
That's why I like Tesoro's Golden uMax as only 4 Tone I.D. machine they have. It has awesome Modulated audio. It loves Big Silver.
April 06, 2018 08:15PM
Ok Calabash, I watched your video. You have to remember that all of us who have been detecting for the last 25 years have all been using Tesoros and had to learn the language of that one beep. That beep can be quick, soft, long , round etc. After awhile of using it, it just clicks and you you have an epiphany moment. You learn to dial that disc over targets, past them and back to where it starts to come back in and if it comes in solid, you dig. If it breaks up as its coming back in, it's mostly trash. If the tone is long and shallow it's most likely a large can or piece of one. Crisp and round sounding a coin etc. There is a language there you don't hear yet because you just got one. Campsites as you talked about are full of bottlecaps which DD coils love, concentric doesn't see them. If it does see them it's usually only one direction. If you get a solid tone sweeping left to right but it breaks up front to back, usually trash. Don't have to turn on the target just sweep left to right then push forward to back. I will only use the Tesoro Mojave in camp sites because they are full of bottlecaps, aluminum camp slag etc. Spend more then 20 minutes testing it and learn it's language and how to use the disc dial to your advantage and then discuss it.
April 06, 2018 08:22PM
OK you got me there ... I don't know the nuances of the one tone beep and dig machine but a deaf man could hear them on some on the multi freq machines made today. It didn't sound to round and crisp on that 10 inch silver quareter when I thumbed it. I did hear the difference though on the half ... the bullet and the 10 inch quarter sound real close. You guys must have some great ears to be able to detect those subtle changes all day long. I like a detector that screams at me and says hey dummy you might need to look at this but to each his on.

I got a serious question though for you guys who know these machines. Do you think you can out cherry pick a proficient user of a multi tone machine with your Tesoro s??
April 06, 2018 08:37PM
First I want to thank calabash for all the videos I really appreciate them. In my opinion for my type of sites I like BOTH types of machines. After my sites stop producing it’s time for the DeepTech VGG running as hot as I can run it digging any non ferrous blip, that machine to me is a joy to use in the right place.

John
April 06, 2018 08:45PM
calabash digger Wrote:

> I got a serious question though for you guys who k
> now these machines. Do you think you can out cherr
> y pick a proficient user of a multi tone machine w
> ith your Tesoro s??

I say no. I will never go back to a single beep machine. Time is so important and I have so few of it, that even to get out and cherry pick quarters in my beat out spot a full TID machine makes it so smooth for me.
April 06, 2018 08:46PM
Depends on what your cherry picking for etc. Quarters and dimes? Disc all the way up and only dig the solid tones sweeping left to right, front to back. If your hunting for coins I have my disc set usually to the notch just before nickel. Hit a solid target, rotate up until it stops and then back to where it comes back in. If it comes back in solid, look at the dial and see where it's at and dig if at the 5 cent mark. If it doesn't disc out its a copper penny, dime or quarter etc. After awhile of using it though you will be able to pretty much tell if it's a coin by the round tone it gives etc. A lot lime the round tone the Deus gives on round targets. I took to the Deus right off he bat because it is a tones machine from using the Tesoros all them years.
April 06, 2018 09:12PM
One of the benefits of a beep and dig, no target, no tone ID machine is when you have a friend/partner/son/daughter that want's to get interested in the hobby.

Start them off with a simple beep and dig, no bells and whistles unit.

I use my Tesoro Mojave to introduce all new comers to the game. Super fun unit, easy to pin point, great iron discrimination.

I take them to either a tot lot wood chip area or a dry sand beach. Easy digging.

You know in about 1/2 hour if they are going to like the hobby or not.
April 06, 2018 09:27PM
Monotone has its place. Tone id has its place. I prefer tone id myself most of the time but there are times when monotone is a better option. I believe Tom Dankowski even has a good read on monotone for unmasking in heavy iron.

HH
Mike
April 06, 2018 10:03PM
I thought the only one beep detector around today was the pulse induction type.

Do they still make single tone VLF detectors?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2018 10:13PM by Badger in NH.
April 06, 2018 11:51PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do they still make single tone VLF detectors?
>

Yes. Lots.
Almost all Tesoros are single tone.
Many Eastern European (especially Bulgarian) detectors are single tone...or 2 tone. (One for iron, one for non-ferrous.)
I think some British detectors are single tone.

One of my current favorites, the new(ish) Golden Mask 5+ is either one tone (if you disc iron) or two tone (if you want an iron tone).
April 07, 2018 12:27AM
I did a video on my YouTube channel where the super tuned vaquero hit a 15 inch quarter!
Talk about shocked.
Taking it to my “deep site” (high sink rate even in clay/sand soil) all I dug see was big ole iron with the vaquero.

I tried 3 different vaqueros... just couldn’t do it. I sold it.

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
April 07, 2018 12:35AM
Mike in CO Wrote:
> Badger in NH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do they still make single tone VLF detectors?
> >
>
> Yes. Lots.
> Almost all Tesoros are single tone.
> Many Eastern European (especially Bulgarian) detec
> tors are single tone...or 2 tone. (One for iron, o
> ne for non-ferrous.)
> I think some British detectors are single tone.
>
> One of my current favorites, the new(ish) Golden M
> ask 5+ is either one tone (if you disc iron) or tw
> o tone (if you want an iron tone).

I've been using multi tones for so long, I completely forgot about the Tesoros being single tone. I even owned a Shadow X2 about twelve years ago that was also single tone.

April 07, 2018 12:58AM
Having used a single tone IDXPro for a few years before going to the Explorer,I would agree that a new person coming into the hobby would have an advantage in the long run by starting out with a single tone machine. The IDX also has an 8 segment display,so it’s not JUST tone,but as Weglund said,the QUALITY of the tone itself is what has to be learned. It took a couple of years of running it ALOT to realize all of the things that the one tone was conveying. Just getting the basics down,and knowing how trash acts,how coins act,how deep coins act,etc to me is easier with a single tone, while getting a solid fundamental start in the hobby for a noob. The IDX just happens to have a VERY accurate disc circuit,which kind of spoiled me,I can still make great finds with it. But for me to go use it in the hopes of out cherry picking my CTX? Not a chance in hell. I won’t even elaborate on it,I’d be burning time to argue a point which to me isn’t arguable.
April 07, 2018 02:13AM
It’s not always about absolute performance. I always have at least one beep dig in the stable because there are days I appreciate the simplicity, and the surprise. I don’t have to worry about whether to dig or not, no interpreting any vdi, no second guessing, and it’s kind of like playing the slots. And as lame as all that sounds, it’s those days that I’ve scored my craziest finds.

A beep dig will never be my main detector, but I’ll always have one or two in the collection.
April 07, 2018 02:42AM
I am very interested in that machine but by the time you buy it and the super 6 coil your over 800.00 bucks. For a beep and dig detector that's just to much money for me.....I'm gonna have to see it doing something VERY special for me to drop that kinda cash on one.... I mean these days there a lot of top notch detectors that can be had for under 800.00 bucks... I would love to see one in action...

Sand dog Wrote:
> First I want to thank calabash for all the videos
> I really appreciate them. In my opinion for my ty
> pe of sites I like BOTH types of machines. After m
> y sites stop producing it’s time for the DeepTech
> VGG running as hot as I can run it digging any non
> ferrous blip, that machine to me is a joy to use i
> n the right place.
>
> John
April 07, 2018 02:45AM
I'm a little surprised that we are having this discussion regarding single tone vs multi-tone.

Don't take this the wrong way but there is absolutely no way in hell I would go back to a single frequency, single tone machine.

Why would would I want to go back driving "three on the tree" with no power steering ?

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
April 07, 2018 02:52AM
Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant Wrote:
> I'm a little surprised that we are having this discussion regarding single tone vs multi-tone.
>
> Don't take this the wrong way but there is absolutely no way in hell I would go back to a single frequency, single tone machine.
>
> Why would would I want to go back driving "three on the tree" with no power steering ?

Pretty much my point about going back to a beeper, no not a pager, but a beeper....
April 07, 2018 02:56AM
Good topic I like two to three tones but you have to have a tone for iron so how does a one tone work. I'll watch the video. For us relic hunters iron is our true enemy until you can start to see through it and around it. All the goodies that are walked over have to be because of masking. But we now have units that can really help us and for that it makes hunting even more interesting to hit iron and find relics...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 07, 2018 08:51AM
All depends on the task at hand.

If im diggind foil and tabs looking for gold I’ll definitely grab a tesoro.
No need fot multi to e when you’re gonna be digging midtones.
VCO is handy but the single tone never lets me down digging gold in parks.
April 07, 2018 09:20AM
I don't see any advantage of a single tone over a multi-tone except for maybe the cost. The ability to hear the iron is very useful.

I wish Fisher would come out with a modern lightweight version of the old CZ series. No screen, no speaker, just three tones of raw power. Give it a beach mode for around $500 and it might out sell the Equinox.

April 07, 2018 10:48AM
For everyday all round use detectors then i think multi tone machines can provide some additional dynamic information,of course it can depend on how the machine can be tweaked in the audio department,but for me i rely more on multi tone audio and which it is far more reliable at depth than what any screen can provide.Of course i do have a fair few 'site specific use' detectors that dont have the multi tone option or even a screen,but the advantages that said specific machines can offer can outway the down side of only have a mono tone,on most of my Pulse machines for exactly with the exception of the TDI Pro these basically have a single tone udio,as the opening post did not specifically mention just VLF nmachines this is the reason i expanded it and included Pulse machines as well.

So for everyday all round use detectors like my Deus,T2 i would agree that multi tones are far superior,of course this is all personal choice as well,do i own single tone audio machines the answer is yes i do and i do own many,these are mainly setup for site specific uses and take advantage of that specific detectors best features,on say a very trashy roman/saxon site that is littered with say small iron nails then not alot of detectors can match a old Tesoro/Laser single tone machines with a 4'' coil on,any other machines with a larger coil or stock size coil just wont work due to 'nulling',but then again if i am on say a clean deep pasture site after really deep artifacts or hoards then i also can use either of my 2 Nexus machines,once again mainly specifically aimed at deep work and not alot of VLF machines if any can touch the depth of one of these machines,but once again the audio is not as such multi tone,maybe vco modified for audio pitch to match your hearing.

If you only have say one everyday machine then for me personally i would choose a multi tone detector,other folks love using single tone and that is of course fine dandy as long as they are happy using the detector and it produces decent finds in your finds pouch then that is all that matters.Me personally use a selection of detectors and coils and yes i do have a fair amount,but as mentioned i do set them up for my site specific uses,just my opinion of course but i dont think one machine can excel in all situations,most modern detectors are a general all round machine.Of course as usual just my opinion,what works for one person may or may not work for another,the No1 priority for me is the enjoyment factor in this great hobby of ours and i still enjoy it today as when i started detecting years ago.
April 07, 2018 11:45AM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> Monotone has its place. Tone id has its place.
> I prefer tone id myself most of the time but there
> are times when monotone is a better option. I b
> elieve Tom Dankowski even has a good read on monot
> one for unmasking in heavy iron.
>
> HH
> Mike

If I remember correctly, I think Tom set the F75 up in a single audio tone for the best unmasking in heavy iron.

tabman
April 07, 2018 12:18PM
Yep, loved the GM5+, quite sensitive in 18khz, good in iron, the 12x10 lost very little depth in my soil.

Mike in CO Wrote:

> One of my current favorites, the new(ish) Golden M
> ask 5+ is either one tone (if you disc iron) or tw
> o tone (if you want an iron tone).
April 07, 2018 03:39PM
calabash digger Wrote:
> I am very interested in that machine but by the ti
> me you buy it and the super 6 coil your over 800.0
> 0 bucks. For a beep and dig detector that's just t
> o much money for me.....I'm gonna have to see it d
> oing something VERY special for me to drop that ki
> nda cash on one.... I mean these days there a lot
> of top notch detectors that can be had for under 8
> 00.00 bucks... I would love to see one in action..
> .
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Sand dog Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > First I want to thank calabash for all the video
> s
> > I really appreciate them. In my opinion for my
> ty
> > pe of sites I like BOTH types of machines. After
> m
> > y sites stop producing it’s time for the DeepTec
> h
> > VGG running as hot as I can run it digging any n
> on
> > ferrous blip, that machine to me is a joy to use
> i
> > n the right place.
> >
> > John
What do you consider a "top notch" detector? Until they come out with one that can perform better at finding metals in the ground, I'll keep my money and my Vaquero. GPS tracking, hook up to a computer for updates, app on phone to connect to detector, VID, etc. have nothing to do with actual detecting performance and are just frills to me. Spending 1,2, or 3 grand on a detector with a screen, bunch of buttons, and multiple beeps, dings, whistles, and dongs so I can feel that i'm higher up in the metal detecting status is ridiculous because, it's an expensive one. Guess some just can't grasp a single tone non readout machine. Hey, that GPS tracking and phone app are the cats meow though, can't detect without them... hahaha
April 07, 2018 03:40PM
In au nutshell tesoro's have audio variances to a trained ear and have their place...