Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A question I have about discrimination.

Posted by Shakydigger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
A question I have about discrimination.
April 08, 2018 02:28PM
Does discrimination affect depth? If so, are digital notch discriminating detectors more or less affected than standard single dial non notch machines? Are there other adjustments that affect a machines depth of detection?
Re: A question I have about discrimination.
April 08, 2018 02:48PM
Disc and notch both reduce depth. Not always a bad thing, especially in heavy trash where you may not hear a good target because of all the noise. If you are using threshold then disc may cause a null over trash that may also cause a null over a nearby good target. Get on you tube and check Calabash Digger videos, specifically the one addressing the effect of disc and notch. It is for XP Deus but will also apply to some other brands. Best of all, make a test garden in YOUR soil and try the settings for yourself. Other peoples tests are not always valid for your location.

GL & HH thumbs down
April 08, 2018 05:42PM
It seems Disc. effects depth More on analogs than digital detectors.
April 08, 2018 09:00PM
I may be way off base here but doesnt disc/notch affect the phones and how reactive the speaker are? The machine will still go into coil shut down over every target..... you just dont hear it or it can chop a signal. I dont know that you are loosing depth more than audio. So in AM the machine responds faster to produce a tone than to null which may chop the next signal... or just not response

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2018 09:02PM by dewcon4414.
April 08, 2018 11:31PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I may be way off base here but doesnt disc/notch a
> ffect the phones and how reactive the speaker are?
> The machine will still go into coil shut down over
> every target..... you just dont hear it or it can
> chop a signal. I dont know that you are loosing d
> epth more than audio. So in AM the machine respon
> ds faster to produce a tone than to null which may
> chop the next signal... or just not response

Either way it comes out the same - less targets. The best way, if your machine can do it, is to disc with just tones so that the items you don't want are low tones and the good stuff at one or more high tones.
April 08, 2018 11:49PM
Loaded question as you have to ask question rel one detector whether analog or digital as they are not all the same..