Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Curse of the Kennedys" Saturday hunt 4-7-18

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
April 10, 2018 05:37AM
For pics-

[www.treasurenet.com]

Full story no pics:

A brief intro:

My father is lucky. Period. I have been metal detecting three times as long as him as his finds are more rare than mine, but I have sheer quantity. He doesn't like Kennedy half dollars only because he is a silver freak, and he expects a half dollar to be silver however, some of the time, it is a Kennedy clad half. When he finds a clad half, he calls it, "The curse of the Kennedys".

I posted on here last year about how my father was killing it in the finds dept and about how I was slumping. Well he did it again(and I did a little too).

On Friday, he called me to tell me how he found a bunch of Kennedy half dollars. I flat out didn't want to believe it, but with his luck it was most likely true. When i arrived at the house the next day to go metal detecting, I looked over the halves. He found 11 halves and a 5 points token(1980's). Seven clad 1976's, three 40% silvers, and a 90%. He said there wasn't anymore left and they were about an inch down no more. So guess where we went?

When we got there, It was about 3pm overcast. It is a shady area. Shady as in some strange people are there. There was a guy watching us closely but his buddy showed up with beer and they went into the woods. I was armed with the Nox 800 and he had the deus, The area where he found them was about 500 feet away down the side of a embankment next to a telephone pole by a parking lot. We just started swinging and working our way there when my father said, I got another one(keep in mind we were still 500 plus feet away from the first spot). he tossed it to me, it was a 1968 half. I ran over to where he was as there were a ton of signals.

One of the items that I always wanted to find, but never did, was a 1964 Kennedy half. It's my bucket lister that is, to me, very hard to find.

My father said, "here is one, you take it". I dug it and it was a 1976 clad half(ugh). Then I got a higher quarter signal. Silver quarter, then another, then another. Mean while, my father digs up 2 more 40% and another 1976 half. There are still a lot of targets left, but not many that could be a half. I finally get another half dollar signal. 1976 clad half(UGH!!!!). I started digging the dime signals hoping to find a silver dime. My father checked the area well and moved on to another area. I stayed in that area, hoping to find ANY silver half. I get a solid 33 and Just like that, 1964 90%. I beat all kinds of odds to find it!

We came up with the theory that this was some bum who dropped these years ago. We searched the area pretty well and din't find anythin
Re: "Curse of the Kennedys" Saturday hunt 4-7-18
April 10, 2018 09:55AM
Father and son out detecting, can't beat that.....good story.
April 10, 2018 12:49PM
Halfs whether silver or clad can be overlooked and not dug due to their size...I feel your Dad has the special gift of hearing that we don't all have.
Saw your Dad detecting and determination along with good equipment equals good finds..
April 10, 2018 04:38PM
I would think a half would be hard to ignore. Then again in about 8k hours of hunting I have never found one. You have to get the coil over one and I really believe you are looking at one unique site!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
April 10, 2018 04:47PM
Yep and it seems some Detectors are just Hot on Halfs.
I know it sounds crazy as they are so big but seen it before. I knew a Guy with a Whites IDX that could go into any site it seemed and come out with at least one half.