Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

History of a breast plate

Posted by Bill long 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
History of a breast plate
April 16, 2018 01:00AM
I dug this breast plate in the 80's just outside of Fredericksburg in an area known during the Civil War as Spotsylvania Heights. I posted this back in 2012 on another forum but thought I'd share it again with you guys. Here a little history of a breast plate and more importantly the soldier it belonged to. This is why I love relic hunting.

Ira D. Lyon (nickname "Poster")- Born 1830 in Naples, New York, Ontario county. Married Martha Wilson. They had three children-Inez, Gustavuz, and Julia. Ira was country clerk of Lindley, in Stewben county, New York, 1856-60.

He enlisted December 27, 1861 at Canandaigua. Mustered in as private December 27 1861 to serve three years in company H, forth New York heavy artillery.

Captured at the battle of Reams Station, August 25, 1864 and sent to Libby Prison. Exchanged February 22, 1865.Died of disease due to starvation April 2, 1865 at United States General Hospital, Patterson Park, Balitmore Marylamd.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 01:12AM by Bill long.
Re: History of a breast plate
April 16, 2018 01:11AM
Nice and rare piece with the provenance attached thumbs down
April 16, 2018 01:12AM
It's more than just a relic, thats for sure! Thanks for sharing.
April 16, 2018 02:24AM
Wow! STUNNING!!! FULL circle!!!!
April 16, 2018 07:24AM
W-O-W!!!!

Steve
April 16, 2018 09:44AM
What a find that is! Thanks.
April 16, 2018 01:36PM
A true piece of American history about a true American. Thanks for sharing.
April 16, 2018 01:59PM
I've been fortunate to have detected the Reams Station area a couple times in the past 3 years. You possess a solemn treasure, a rare level of artifact.
Thanks for sharing.

Wayne
April 16, 2018 09:19PM
ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been fortunate to have detected the Reams Sta
> tion area a couple times in the past 3 years. You
> possess a solemn treasure, a rare level of artifac
> t.
> Thanks for sharing.
>
> Wayne

I've had a few permissions these last 3 or 4 years to hunt some sites in and around that area. Ran across a fellow during one of those hunts who was from North Carolina. Nice fellow. We had a good conversation. Don't remember his name but I wonder if that was you.
April 16, 2018 09:54PM
Never ran into anybody while there, Bill, so it wasn't me. Not that I'm not a nice guy <g>.

Wayne
April 16, 2018 10:09PM
ncwayne Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Never ran into anybody while there, Bill, so it wa
> sn't me. Not that I'm not a nice guy <g>.
>
> Wayne

Dog gone it, I'm was hoping it was.
April 16, 2018 11:04PM
Awesome find. Congrats
April 17, 2018 09:54AM
That is a piece to treasure.
April 23, 2018 09:25PM
Thanks guys. I forgot to mention I've obtained a copy of his death certificate and a picture of his father. No picture of him yet. It's been an adventure.
April 24, 2018 01:05AM
History comes-alive ! One of the reasons we love this hobby. Thanx for sharing. That is a museum quality piece/story !