Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Never Know - till you ask - and kruzer update

Posted by Rod-PA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Never Know - till you ask - and kruzer update
April 20, 2018 07:06PM
So I finally took the time to research a farm property close enough to work to go on lunch breaks. Property records said the house was built in 1806. I got the owners name, typed up how I like to operate, etc, and stopped in on Monday. He wasnt home. Stopped in yesterday in the rain. He was home. We chatted a bit. I showed him one of my button displays so he could see what I was interested in. He gave me permission.

Today...the SUN actually showed up, so I decided I might as well try it. As I started putting on my stuff, here he comes, out of the house, putting on coat and work gloves. My first thought was "well, going to be one of those long conversations while using headphones we all love so much". Shame on me. He said "glad you came back....lets hunt". Then said...see those daffodils out there in the middle of that spot?" That is where our first house was. My family has been on this land for 8 generations, and built the log cabin at those flowers in that depression, in 1729. Lets start over there! I said, "yes sir"

So, i detected with one earphone off, so I could hear him talk. Found a couple cool old doo-dads, and two buttons. After the second button, he says I should come back when I have more time. He wants to show me the original well that was dug. His words were something like..."When Washington camped here, his men used that pump non-stop for days"....I said, "yes sir"

Gonna make room in my schedule, I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2018 12:31PM by Rod-PA.
Re: Never Know - till you ask
April 20, 2018 07:33PM
WOW!

Unbelievable opportunity you have there!

Steve
April 20, 2018 07:41PM
Wow! I'm excited just hearing that story! Can't wait to see what comes out of there. Good luck!

Dean
April 21, 2018 12:45AM
!!!! (((!YES SIR!)))!!!! ..................Whatever you say, my good man.................. I'll be there at lunch every day for the next 30 months.

Good luck Rodman!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2018 11:15AM by ozzie.
April 21, 2018 01:47AM
Please follow up on your results. This could be extremely interesting.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
April 21, 2018 02:10AM
Rod -- I sincerely hope this pans out for you and that you have better luck than I've had at places like that.

Down this way, farmers are notorious for flat out lying or really stretching the truth. I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard different ones tell me that they use to pick up minie balls by the bucket full, and cannonballs that they would pick up out of the fields and stack by the fence, guns, etc. When I first got into the hobby, those stories always fired me up. But over the years, I've only found relics on one farm in which the farmer told me something similar. The other many places, I never found a single bullet on. Meaning those guys either picked up every bullet and such out of their fields, or were just telling tall tales. Down here, every old house is claimed to have been a hospital during the war too. But...it still pays to at least hunt the likely places for a little bit. I was at the point where I didn't believe those stories any more and when the farmer told me the minie ball thing about a field he leased for farming, I almost didn't even check it out. I had a nagging feeling and went anyway. Thus is how I found the infamous bullet fields where I do most of my bad dirt testing and videos. Go give that spot a good going over though. You never know til you try. I hope your fella ain't one of those that stands over your shoulder the whole time and if something good pops up, he snatches it before you can even look at it. Your post reminded me of a guy that did that to me and my buddy Jeff one time. He latched on and would go back and forth between Jeff and I when he'd see one of us start to dig. I think we lost a handful of minie balls and an eagle button before we suddenly remembered we had to be somewhere else.
April 21, 2018 02:47AM
Daniel,

"suddenly remembered we had to be somewhere else..." LOL! That's not funny, though, that the guy was taking all your finds!

Similarly, but nowhere near as big a deal, I was detecting a yard in town the other day, and had found several nice coins. A young kid came walking down the sidewalk, asked what I was doing, and so I chatted with him for a minute. He asked if I had found anything, and I said "a few old coins." He asked "can I see?" So, I said "sure" and pulled out the little pill bottle I was keeping the good ones in. I dumped them in my hand, and he asked "which one is the oldest?" I said "this one," and pointed to an 1864 Indian Head penny I had dig a short while before (my oldest IH I've dug, FWIW). He asked, "can I see it?" So I handed it to him, and he IMMEDIATELY took it, didn't even look at it, and stuck it in his pocket...

(Yes, I got it back from him, but he wasn't happy about it!)

How brash!

Steve
Never Know - till you ask
April 21, 2018 04:52AM
Bring a spare detector for him to use.

Rich -

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
April 21, 2018 06:06AM
Rod that sounds like a great permission, hope you make some great finds there!! GW buttons should be jumping out of the ground eh?

Steve that's pretty funny, I've had similar experiences with kids. One reason I don't enjoy detecting parks that much, mainly because I get so little time to detect, that when I do, I want to relax and focus on detecting, but I've literally had a dozen kids following me around a park, and they just take over digging, pocketing the finds, etc. lol I guess they don't really comprehend that we're looking for old coins. My oldest IHP is also from 1864. Oldest penny I've found actually, we really don't have large cents on the west coast, their more rare then gold coins out here.
April 21, 2018 12:45PM
Bet your boots if a nice coin or relic is dug..its his....of course finding a nice coin was the challenge for me...Looks like a good area and good luck..
April 21, 2018 01:23PM
Steve g, you were too honest with that kid. It would be a good idea to carry a few corroded zincers , and give those to the kids. No loss on your part!.
April 21, 2018 02:00PM
Cal_Cobra -- I hear you, on the largies. I have dug ONE, and that was while visiting back home in PA. They are simply RARE as you get west of roughly the Mississippi Valley.

possum mo -- I was thinking I'd be a good "ambassador" for the hobby, and spark some interest among the younger generation. LOL! In retro, yes -- I should have given him a zinc! I did give him an old key that I'd found, after I got my IH back! He seemed satisfied! LOL!

Steve
April 27, 2018 08:52PM
Been on site a couple times now. the grass/weeds growing like mad, so swinging is a challenge, but it is what it is.

I have used Kruzer 4 times at this site, total about 5 hours. I have used 4tone about half, 2 tone most of the other half, and the general/AM only a little bit so far. I wasnt hearing as much information on these targets as I was with the disc. I will be experimenting more with it, though, as I am so used to AM on F75. There are almost no shallow targets at all as I have been only detecting around where the log cabin was, and the direct line of sight towards the earliest well down near the creek. These areas dont seem to have been used as farm field as it is all deep, no mixed depths. Other than a single wheat cent at about 5 inches, I have not recovered anything shallower than 9 inches. I use a Lesche Ground shark shovel (11in blade- modified Pegs)...almost every target is still in the hole, after my full depth spade plug comes out..The plugs aren't 11 inches, but more like 8 usually. A couple times the target has been lying in the hole, so at the depth the plug broke at.

I am starting to get used to Kruzer tone quality. I am calling nails more often accurately because of the scratchy tone. ID is pretty variable so far, on good targets and nails, so I have been pretty much making calls on tone only. But...I dig alot of the scratchies to be sure, since everything so far is old...good excercise. I have tried all three freqs, in both 4 and 2 tones. Not sure I can tell much difference, although 4tone definitely chattier. I have been using sensitivity way below max...usually between 75 and 80, because ramping it up higher has made falses or nails seem like way better targets...removes some of the scratchiness, i think. Some of the falses are due to the high, somewhat stiff grass I am bending when swinging. The other thing I like with the Kruzer tone so far, is I can be in disc mode, and still tell pretty well if I have a large iron item that is deep. I have dug a couple, and each has turned out to be some sort of tool.

Because I can hear how dense the targets are at the cabin area, I did take the F75 with the 5" coil there my third trip. Hardly any tones at all. Didnt matter AM/or any disc process, sensitivity all the way up, ground balancing changes....I knew that at least nails should be quite audible, but they werent. My next trip, I will try F75 with stock 11in coil. Pretty sure I will hear the targets, but want to get more educated on the Kruzer before my summer trip, so its staying as backup.

Finds: too hard to post pictures here ...so heres some description.
..nice assortment of very old buckles and buttons. So far no names on any of them...the brass buckles and buttons are coming out with the most awesome deep green. Some saddle/bridle adornments...one I cant tell if it is silver, but it has such a beautiful ringing sound and no corrosion. Pair of Pewter spoons. Only one coin so far. Really nice 1749 British half penny. Had to text that one to Ozzie.

happy hunting
April 28, 2018 12:31AM
That half penny was the nicest one I've seen from around here, Rodman.....good pull!
April 30, 2018 01:30PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Finds: too hard to post pictures here ...

Drives me crazy when folks here say that. Can't be ignorance. Must be stubbornness.
If you can run a detector, you can certainly post a picture here. Why not just learn to do it? It's E-A-S-Y!
Even Calabash did it! <vbg>

Wayne
Re: Never Know - till you ask - and kruzer update
April 30, 2018 02:02PM
Wayne, would you go over it again.

Say I take a picture from my iPhone and want to transfer it to my computer then to this forum, what are the steps, in laymen terms and no-savy computer guys ?
I had done it a few years ago but something changed....
April 30, 2018 02:03PM
i just dont feel like posting my pictures on some other sites that then have ownership of them for what they want. If I cant put it on this site...probably not going to.
April 30, 2018 02:37PM
Sounds like your permission site is paying off thumbs down

I bet when the grasses die down, that site will really lite up!
April 30, 2018 04:09PM
ozzie, I sent you a pm.

Wayne
April 30, 2018 05:48PM
ncwayne Wrote:
> ozzie, I sent you a pm.
> Wayne

What's a PM?......................just kidding Wayne. Your instructions were perfect. I will now always have them to reference and will soon give it a go, Thanks, Wayne.
May 01, 2018 01:43PM
Sounds like you have a really promising site for colonial-era finds! Looking forward to hearing about what turns up.

I too run the Kruzer and still trying to get past the urge to keep the gain anywhere near Max. It's a sensitive unit, especially in 4-tone. I still "feel" that dropping the gain may kill the accuracy at depth which is only a holdout from using other detectors over the years.
July 16, 2018 04:59PM
Been a long time. the grass in the field was growing like crazy...unworkable.

I was getting desperate...so got permission from owner, took my push mower over there, and mowed an area over the old house site, and an area around where i got the 1749 half penny.

Got sunburnt.

with the grass cut down to as low as my mower would go....man, the amount of deep iron just exploded that the Kruzer could hear.

Finds: one large musketball i havent measured yet, two more old brass buckles, a second 1749 half penny, and the best find, a 1797 Large cent, with good enough grade to tell the back is the 1795 variety. Pretty stoked at an actually legible large cent, finally!

I used 4 tone mode, 89 sensitivity...quite a bit of falsing o the stiff grass tops, but not distracting enough to lower it. It really stinks that the small coil cannot get deep enough to help me separate the multiple targets under the coil...so many nails.
July 16, 2018 05:42PM
I find it kind of funny it is someones property but people get upset when they want to keep stuff lol.
July 16, 2018 05:51PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> Been a long time. the grass in the field was growing like crazy...unworkable.
>
> I was getting desperate...so got permission from owner, took my push mower over there, and mowed an area over the old house site, and an area around where i got the 1749 half penny.
>
> Got sunburnt.
>
> with the grass cut down to as low as my mower would go....man, the amount of deep iron just exploded that the Kruzer could hear.
>
> Finds: one large musketball i havent measured yet, two more old brass buckles, a second 1749 half penny, and the best find, a 1797 Large cent, with good enough grade to tell the back is the 1795 variety. Pretty stoked at an actually legible large cent, finally!
>
> I used 4 tone mode, 89 sensitivity...quite a bit of falsing o the stiff grass tops, but not distracting enough to lower it. It really stinks that the small coil cannot get deep enough to help me separate the multiple targets under the coil...so many nails.

Great site your onto there!

Not sure which small coil your using (5" ?) but the 7.5x4'' DD coil does well on depth and it's great at separation. Can you run the sensitivity any higher then 89? I typically run my MMK in 4-tone @ 98 sensitivity and find that it works well. I haven't had a problem with it falsing on grass stubble.
July 16, 2018 10:10PM
I got permission one time for a very historical home. Great guy. I drove to the house and got out my gear and out he came. Changed his mind so I hit the road.
July 17, 2018 01:34AM
Nice finds Rod.
July 17, 2018 08:56AM
Rod, at least you've half a chance on hitting them half pence coins in the iron as there a big target, same for the older KG coppers, hopefully you hit into some silver too!
I still use photobucket for picture posting, perhaps it's different in the UK as i've not been charged to use the service?
I've a similar situation here George on a permission, the landowner just doesn't trust folk, it's a cracking site to boot, but he blows hot and cold and you never know when you knock the door if he'll let you on lol

texkinzee Wrote:
> I got permission one time for a very historical ho
> me. Great guy. I drove to the house and got out my
> gear and out he came. Changed his mind so I hit th
> e road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2018 09:07AM by ghound.
July 17, 2018 03:17PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

> Great site your onto there!
>
> Not sure which small coil your using (5" ?) but th
> e 7.5x4'' DD coil does well on depth and it's grea
> t at separation. Can you run the sensitivity any
> higher then 89? I typically run my MMK in 4-ton
> e @ 98 sensitivity and find that it works well.
> I haven't had a problem with it falsing on grass s
> tubble.

Cal_cobra,
yes, it is the 7.5dd. where the grass was long and keeping the coil so far off the ground, wasnt worth it with the F75 and 5inch. I made assumption at that point with MMK and 7.5. If I get a shot before the areas i cut grow much, will try both f75 with small and MMK with 7.5 cranked up. Need to take care WifeHackles dont rise too much...A week at beach and then a couple days specifically in Virginia for detecting might have me maxed for a bit smiling smiley
July 17, 2018 05:26PM
Rod-PA Wrote:
> Cal_cobra Wrote:
>
> > Great site your onto there!
> >
> > Not sure which small coil your using (5" ?) but
> th
> > e 7.5x4'' DD coil does well on depth and it's gr
> ea
> > t at separation. Can you run the sensitivity an
> y
> > higher then 89? I typically run my MMK in 4-t
> on
> > e @ 98 sensitivity and find that it works well.
> > I haven't had a problem with it falsing on grass
> s
> > tubble.
>
> Cal_cobra,
> yes, it is the 7.5dd. where the grass was long and keeping the coil so far off the ground, wasnt worth it with the F75 and 5inch. I made assumption
> at that point with MMK and 7.5. If I get a shot before the areas i cut grow much, will try both f75 with small and MMK with 7.5 cranked up. Need to take care WifeHackles dont rise too much...A week at beach and then a couple days specifically in Virginia for detecting might have me maxed for a bit
> smiling smiley

WifeHackles, haven't heard that one before, but I feel your pain, it's my biggest obstacle in metal detecting moody smiley

BTW you'd be surprised on the MMK how well the stock 11" DD coil will work in heavy iron, and if the grass lends itself to it, you can always mash the grass down a bit better then with the smaller coil. I once had a place that was totally overgrown with ivy I wanted to detect, and I ended up using a small sheet of plywood to mash down the ivy and detect over it. Not an ideal situation, but it did work.

GL&HH,
Cal
July 17, 2018 07:28PM
ozzie Wrote:
> ncwayne Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ozzie, I sent you a pm.
> > Wayne
>
> What's a PM?......................just kidding Way
> ne. Your instructions were perfect. I will now alw
> ays have them to reference and will soon give it a
> go, Thanks, Wayne.

Guys,
Pardon me for asking but, I just asked for 'photo assistance' in another thread just days ago!
Would you be as kind to either Post the 'How To' here or, PM???

I searched and searched thru posts trying to find Instructions but couldn't?
Thanks in anticipation.

Des D