Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Fisher Manta

Posted by Frank in NH 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New Fisher Manta
September 26, 2019 01:04AM
Dew...…. yes ……. it would probably behoove FTP to bring me onboard this project (more than just simply Carl and I testing/comparing notes in my backyard/test-garden.....nearly 2 years ago); yet, they probably think I: "went over to the dark side". If they feel my skillset would be 'value-added'...… I "think" they would contact me. I wish I could help you guys more..... on this project...… and with your AQ questions...…. but this is FTP's call.
September 26, 2019 10:05AM
Maybe they GOT THIS...... but maybe they thought that 2 years ago too? I am glad they opted to not go with the box on the first version...... this second version is more impressive and up to date. Now days to me any company who has a second set of eyes on a project as talented as you and dont take advantage of it ....... well. Also...... influencers sells machines. On the bright side ..... there wont be a NDA and you can help us PI challenged folks lol. As a beach guy if this thing works as predicted...... we should see a more gold being found on both ends....... if not...... more trash i guess lol.
October 28, 2019 12:21PM
OK..... we are a couple of months from Santa time. Frank posted this about a year and a half ago. Im like a small kid here.......... ARE WE THERE YET, ARE WE THERE YET? Im getting speculations by Email and it aint going to happen from other people. Id just like to know, from someone at FISHER not a third party, if its on track to be produced by the end of the year. Surely by this point Fisher has a pretty good idea.... bar a major unknown set back tomorrow of course. Those of us waiting would really like an update..... is that possible?
October 28, 2019 06:59PM
I've kind a lost interest in the AQ for this year. My lake hunting season is about at a close, I've got a week long trip planned for Southern Cal. in January but I don't plan on buying just for that. Hopefully it will be available by Spring, all the bugs worked out and some comparison videos out.
October 28, 2019 09:22PM
I still have high hopes that the Impulse is still on target for the pre-Christmas release. If not then my stashed money will have go elsewhere. I miss the days when LE Jag was keeping us "in-tune".
OBN
October 28, 2019 10:37PM
okara gold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I still have high hopes that the Impulse is still
> on target for the pre-Christmas release. If not th
> en my stashed money will have go elsewhere. I miss
> the days when LE Jag was keeping us "in-tune".

Someone should give him a nug....

LE JAG you still digging the gold? Talk to us buddy! ...... smiling smiley

Blood Member of RingKeepers
2020......Gold Rings....73....Misc Gold 1 .......Silvers ...110
October 29, 2019 07:22AM
Hello

What the jag wrote on french forum :

Hi,
I do not have too many news ...
the beta testers' returns are excellent, especially on volcanic sand
they have detected a problem of electrolysis on the connector coil / du to the strong pulse current
suddenly it is changed by a laminating model
the battery has been changed to face the future standard / air transport ...

what is still dragging is the helmet
FTP considers that the gray ghost that was planned in the package is too expensive
so they look for an alternative, probably the koss ...
and still no date output: - /

Magus.
October 29, 2019 10:56AM
Magus Detection Wrote:
> Hello
>
> What the jag wrote on french forum :

> FTP considers that the gray ghost that was planned
> in the package is too expensive
> so they look for an alternative, probably the koss
> ...
> and still no date output: - /
>
> Magus.

I would sure like someone to explain to me why some detector companies insist on selling detectors with headphones included. Here is a perfect example showing how they will try to keep the cost down by selling us cheap headphones that most of us don't want. Do they really need the profits from these headphone sales this badly? Why can't they just sell headphones as an accessory option and keep the cost of the machine to a minimum?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 11:02AM by Badger in NH.
October 29, 2019 01:15PM
Water detectors typically use dedicated headphones - I think that this is probably a result of wanting to ensure watertight integrity and adequate volume and correct audio frequency to cope with the often noisy beach/surf detecting environment.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
October 29, 2019 02:01PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Water detectors typically use dedicated headphones
> - I think that this is probably a result of wantin
> g to ensure watertight integrity and adequate volu
> me and correct audio frequency to cope with the of
> ten noisy beach/surf detecting environment.

If that's the case, then all they have to do is provide a list of recommended headphones to use with this particular unit.

I doubt very much if I will ever take mine in the water. There are probably many non-waterproof headphones that would work just as well if not better.

Non-waterproof headphone speakers have superior sound quality.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 02:26PM by Badger in NH.
October 29, 2019 09:56PM
Heres the problem with that Badger....... remember how long it took for one of my fellow hunters to make that Nox one while everyone waited on ML to put a pair out. THEN..... what 4 mos or so we ended up with the Koss .... again. WHICH they could have done in the first place had they used a CTX (M12) connector. Those phones were already available. Most of us who were using the Xcal and CTX had already adapted BOTH our machines with the M12 wouldnt it have been nice of ML to just used that connector? No phones would save you money up front...... but you would still have to wait on someone to do phones for you. Whats Fisher use on the CZ......Koss?

suddenly it is changed by a laminating model
the battery has been changed to face the future standard / air transport

Does that mean the cable connector? What is a laminating model? As far as the battery....... wonder if thats a pressure issue or Lith transport issue on flights? Well hopefully while they are at it they did an upgrade to 10 hours at least on that battery.
cdv
October 29, 2019 10:30PM
If they plan on using Koss phones HOPEFULLY they can get some Koss phones that have a better fit then the ones ML sells....those have to be the worst fitting phones I have.

Cliff
October 29, 2019 11:09PM
I agree...... duck tap has to be used most of the time to hold them in place.......and as far as noise you might as well use ear bud out there in the water. We have had to mod those with air craft muffs. With this machine how water proof will they need to be? Its a wading machine. You have to admit the Koss are waterproof. Now the ones on the Blue Xcal werent bad. Rick...... didnt you do some testing of headphones? Its kind of ironic that the GG are to pricy...... but most will take the phones given and the replace them with what....... GG lol
October 29, 2019 11:17PM
Dew, I don't understand your point. That still doesn't explain why the headphones are included.

My Trond headphones worked perfectly well with my Equinox from the day I bought it. The Minelab phones that came with the machine are still in the box unused. Now if the Impulse comes with headphones, I'll have yet another set that I won't use because in general, waterproof headphones are often uncomfortable and have poor sound quality. Why should I have to buy another set of headphones that I don't want?

It would be interesting to know what percentage of beach hunters worldwide will be using their Impulse in the surf. I can guarantee far less than one percent will be doing that in New England. Probably no one will.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2019 03:26PM by Badger in NH.
October 29, 2019 11:32PM
A couple of thoughts......this detector needs to be stable and quiet. I will wait for that. We have all been down that noisy PI before. No way do we this before next season.
October 29, 2019 11:43PM
Our beach hunting season is just getting underway here and runs through winter into early spring, so releasing it before the end of the year would be perfect timing.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2019 10:49AM by Badger in NH.
OBN
October 30, 2019 12:07AM
Looks like it won't be under the xmas tree this year... sad smiley.

It is cheaper using someone else's HP's, I remember the GGA's tab was about 7 grand for the molds, they had to buy the rights to the name from Gary Storm, not sure on that amount. Each set still cost them 55 to 65 dollars in 2012.

Under water head phones are not rocket science, but there are little secrets on getting the most from your PI on a set. Or the Excalibur in All metal..... I know most like there good audio tones but heck with that, it's about hearing what no one else can, even if it's just a scratch.............. As far as the IP rating and blocking ambient noise ..simple. Just remember the less restriction on the Piezo and it's base plate, the better the performance..... Just throw in a set of the CZ21 head phones, we will work out the details. I guarantee I'll better what ever they offer, just have to have the "AQ" in hand for a few months. And I don't want to be a tester...Owner please...smileys with beer

OBN
October 30, 2019 05:10AM
dewcon4414 Wrote:

>
> suddenly it is changed by a laminating model
> the battery has been changed to face the future st
> andard / air transport
>
> Does that mean the cable connector? What is a la
> minating model?

Laminated ..means a composite material. I used one for a while when I was experimenting with coil connectors on the excalibur. I can tell them right now composite is not good, (due to the fact it is a connection and the constant movement in the water puts stress on the fitting causing it to wear, and changing coils puts wear on it also) Wish I would have save pictures of that...Stainless steel to Stainless steel is the only way to go...

Here is the one I used for about a year then I noticed signs of failing...loose fit..wear.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2019 05:15AM by OBN.
October 30, 2019 05:54AM
I think the line "suddenly it is changed by a laminating model" is intended to translate as "suddenly it has changed to a plated model" . That is, they've used gold plated contacts, on both plug and socket.
October 30, 2019 10:53AM
Joe.... its all about FINDING A TARGET out there..... that should be the main goal..... and know its a target. You dont know what you missed if you missed it. Had a guy yesterday who hunted for nearly 4 hours in the water come over to me and tell me how smooth his machine ran in the water. It was a Nox..... so i knew better. I said ok..... curious what sensitivity are you running...... his reply im not sure. I checked it for him ...... it was on 3. We both know how important it is in the water to hear those small or very deep targets that many swing over so fast.... most are really recent drop hunting. Head phones can be a KEY to making you one of those 10% finding 90% of the gold.

Id still like to have a smaller coil say 10". I didnt think the size of the coil was as important on a PI as on a VLF? But those big ole coils in the water can be a bear to push around and takes a tole on parts.

Pimento.......i think you are right especially since he was talking about electrolysis. But then that also tells me the connector wasnt keeping out water.
October 30, 2019 01:05PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Heres the problem with that Badger....... remember
> how long it took for one of my fellow hunters to m
> ake that Nox one while everyone waited on ML to pu
> t a pair out. THEN..... what 4 mos or so we ended
> up with the Koss .... again. WHICH they could ha
> ve done in the first place had they used a CTX (M1
> 2) connector. Those phones were already availabl
> e. Most of us who were using the Xcal and CTX h
> ad already adapted BOTH our machines with the M12
> wouldnt it have been nice of ML to just used that
> connector? No phones would save you money up fr
> ont...... but you would still have to wait on some
> one to do phones for you. Whats Fisher use on th
> e CZ......Koss?
>

No, the problem with the NOX was that ML changed the fitting. If they had simply used the standard fitting, everyone would have been fine. The delay in production was because nobody had those connectors.

======================================================

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

OBN
October 30, 2019 02:34PM
dewcon4414 Wrote:
> Joe.... its all about FINDING A TARGET out there..
> ... that should be the main goal..... and know its
> a target. You dont know what you missed if you m
> issed it. Had a guy yesterday who hunted for nea
> rly 4 hours in the water come over to me and tell
> me how smooth his machine ran in the water. It w
> as a Nox..... so i knew better. I said ok..... c
> urious what sensitivity are you running...... his
> reply im not sure. I checked it for him ...... i
> t was on 3. We both know how important it is in
> the water to hear those small or very deep targets
> that many swing over so fast.... most are really r
> ecent drop hunting. Head phones can be a KEY to
> making you one of those 10% finding 90% of the gol
> d.
>
> Id still like to have a smaller coil say 10". I
> didnt think the size of the coil was as important
> on a PI as on a VLF? But those big ole coils in
> the water can be a bear to push around and takes
> a tole on parts.
>
> Pimento.......i think you are right especially sin
> ce he was talking about electrolysis. But then t
> hat also tells me the connector wasnt keeping out
> water.

Electrolysis can happen from the use of two different metals ( dissimilar metal ) touching, IN Saltwater, like Stainless steel mated to non Stainless steel fitting,....that was more of what I was thinking the issue might be because IP rated, environmental / underwater connectors, use gold plated pins only. Its a standard used for those type of connectors being they can be exposed to the environment.

[www.fenestration.net]

I guess we will have to wait and see how all works out.

October 31, 2019 09:17AM
This detector reminds me of a white whale......Will it ever come to market? I have my doubts but we shall see...….If fisher had some really ground breaking tech seems to me like they would be talking it up some...and not just a few on the forums....

Reminds me of the Tesoro machine that never came to be....time will tell
October 31, 2019 11:34AM
There must be some problem with the design that they can't overcome That's the only reason I can see that they would be taking so long. All the people they gave the prototypes to are keeping quiet. If everything was go we would certainly be hearing something.

I keep saying, they should just work on improving the CZ platform and make an inexpensive simple lightweight powerful CZ for the beach. No screen, no speaker, just three tone ID. This machine would easily outperform the Equinox on the beach.
October 31, 2019 11:56AM
A company like Fisher is the only hope for a detector like this to reach the hands of customers.

When I say a detector like this I mean a true step in the evolution of our hobby. Maybe the largest since discrimination itself.

The ability to deal with harsh ground environments with discrimination that have been avoided or given up on since the beginning of the hobby. Think of the possibilities. We are not just talking about two inches more on a beach. Which by the way makes all other beach detectors obsolete.

Sure a truly brilliant person could have the ingenuity to create a detector in his or her garage. But to test it in conditions around the world, and then mass produce it?

It will happen some day. If not this detector then maybe the next or the next. I just want a chance to swing it before I move to the home.

I'll wait for them to get it right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2019 11:59AM by goodmore.
October 31, 2019 02:25PM
I imagine there will likely be a Technetics version of the Impulse as well.
October 31, 2019 07:48PM
I'd hate to be in FT's engineering shoes....got to be frustrating as heLL.
October 31, 2019 10:18PM
Could be that mass producing the AQ is more of a challenge than expected. I think it was said at one point the coils were hard to produce. Might be that every one they make is unique and they can't get enough consistency to mass produce yet. I'd rather they get it right than release prematurely.
October 31, 2019 11:43PM
Abenson Wrote:
> Could be that mass producing the AQ is more of a c
> hallenge than expected. I think it was said at one
> point the coils were hard to produce. Might be tha
> t every one they make is unique and they can't get
> enough consistency to mass produce yet. I'd rather
> they get it right than release prematurely.

I cant remember which company, but one of them went out of business because the coils were so difficult to produce. The owner only had one person who could do them properly and when that person either left or died, he had to fold.

You can see my videos here: [www.youtube.com]
My blog is here: [thesilverfiend.com]

October 31, 2019 11:47PM
Another thought... only some many people beach hunt....MAYBE there is not enough money in it????