Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

GHOST TOWN GIVES UP MORE GOLD, COINS, TOKENS, RELICS ++ grinning smiley

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
GHOST TOWN GIVES UP MORE GOLD, COINS, TOKENS, RELICS ++ grinning smiley
April 22, 2018 12:50AM
Hey all,

been on a 2 day diggin spree in the 1840s - 1940s Ghost Town I've been hunting for 6 yrs now and it's still given stuff up like I've never even touched it!

Many of you'all know I've ran a good 2 dozen machines through this place since finding it 6 yrs back (including) 3 Deus units, 2 CTX's, F19, Racer, Fors Relic, Fors Gold+, ATP, Makro CF, Gold Bug Pro, CZ6a, Sov, Musky, MXT, Impact, Vaquero, Whites Classic 2, Etrac, Exp 2, and on and on.

I used the Deus on both hunts this time around/again because the iron is so thick that's it's constant machine gun fire in all directions for 200 yrds/no matter which way you walk and I'm glad I did. Today the iron gave up another piece of gold (10K gold band). Lower tone, 1 way hit and scratchy/junky sounding to say the least but I know this place like the back of my hand and you can't not dig if you get at least a 1 way hit. That's how the Gold $1 coin I dug here a few yrs back sounded/acted too so I had to dig!

No good old coins came to light this time around (which is strange) but I managed 7 wheats mostly from the teens/20s. Got a nice very old Heart shaped Brooch with fancy engraving that looks like it had a stone at one time, an old (1890s/1900) Soap Token, a ton of buttons including many with iron backs (hard to pick OUT of iron!), buckles, suspender clips, lantern parts, horse tack, toe taps, a Finial, broken stirrup, doo dads and more.

Pictures tell the story,

thanks for looking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2018 01:56AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: GHOST TOWN GIVES UP MORE GOLD, COINS, TOKENS, RELICS ++ grinning smiley
April 22, 2018 01:00AM
Awsome day! Love finding the marbles. Especially if they are dug up while chasing a button or other non ferrous.
April 22, 2018 02:08AM
Is that a .25 Stevens Short rimfire cartridge next to that zipper pull? I love finding complete old rimfire cartridges larger than .22.
April 22, 2018 02:21AM

Welgund wrote:

Awsome day! Love finding the marbles. Especially if they are dug up while chasing a button or other non ferrous.

Thanks Welgund - I like diggin marbles too,,, I save em in an old mason jar,,, it's 1/2 full from many yrs of diggin!

Bayard wrote:

Is that a .25 Stevens Short rimfire cartridge next to that zipper pull? I love finding complete old rimfire cartridges larger than .22.

To the left is a .22 casing and the thing to the right that looks like a shell casing is just a piece of copper.

Didn't dig any good casings today there but I have dug Henry's, and other large/r rimfires over the yrs out there thumbs down
April 22, 2018 02:35AM
Nice haul!
April 22, 2018 03:05AM
WOW, MRH.

Amazing finds, and what an AMAZING site it looks like you have there!!

I'm envious -- but GREAT finds!

Steve
April 22, 2018 04:04AM
Good job! It's amazing how much good stuff is hiding in iron. Especially since you've worked it hard.
April 22, 2018 11:36AM
Nice assortment............getting your exercise, I see.
April 22, 2018 12:49PM
Just think what all those items represent: lives,love,adventure,and an America lost.

Great pics and report.
April 22, 2018 02:20PM
Nice finds.
April 22, 2018 03:00PM
Nice gold! I love seeing gold come out of the ground. Always thrilling.
April 22, 2018 04:14PM
Thanks guys.

Daniel, it’s always a thrill pulling gold but finding it in historical field sites full of iron where least expected is even better. You’re expecting maybe a beat up button or something to pop out and then you see that gold glittering in the sun and the heart skips a beat/you get a grin a mile wide!

Crosby, I am always amazed at the amount of stuff this place just keeps on giving but with 100 yrs of history buried in a massive mix of iron where a town center was located with heavy commerce taking place/etc = all I have to do is re-hunt it with a couple different machines every time the farmer plows (2xs per yr) and the stuff just keeps coming thumbs down

Doc, you sure have a way of putting things into perspective and to make a guy think a little deeper than just digging up the finds themselves!
April 22, 2018 04:54PM
Great hunt, MRH! I wish we had sites like that in AZ.

Dean
April 22, 2018 06:05PM
Wow!! That's some great hunting Wayne thumbs down

Nice mix of personal items, coins and utilitarian losses.

Much better then the place Tom and I went to yesterday and more or less struck out at moody smiley
April 22, 2018 11:15PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow!! That's some great hunting Wayne thumbs down
>
> Nice mix of personal items, coins and utilitarian
> losses.
>
> Much better then the place Tom and I went to yeste
> rday and more or less struck out at moody smiley

Thanks Brian!

And yeah,,, I know all about the “striking out” thing. Last couple times out it’s been that way for me too. Seems to be getting right regular around here. Lots of competition these days and sites are getting fewer/farther between AND getting depleted too. It just happens not too many know of this ghost town plus the farmer doesn’t let just any/every one on his land and so for the time being she keeps on giving as the guy plows up new material every season.

Hope to see some more of your stuff/hunt reports soon thumbs down

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 11:30AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
April 23, 2018 12:26AM
Nice Gold Ring looks old Too!!

That Chinese button is really unique!!

Congrat's

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 23, 2018 05:41AM
Dang man what a great day u had congrats on the finds. What is that u sprayed on them? That newbie juice?grinning smileygrinning smileysmileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2018 05:41AM by Kickindirt.
April 23, 2018 04:32PM
great recap. Great pix. I love all the age-indicator relicky things. Any hard-core ghost-town relicky hunters knows to appreciate those things (toe-caps, suspender clips, etc....) that tell you: A seated or gold coin could be in the mix smiling smiley
April 23, 2018 08:27PM
Thanks Keith (I like the chinese button/thought it was unique too) and who don't like old gold!? lol

Thanks kickindirt (the newbie juice thing IS a joke I hope)!?

Tom_in_CA -- being that you hunt ghost towns too,,, I know you appreciate all the "relicky" things like I do and you're 100% correct = they tell a story of the site/age of a place. Just so happens that this one gave up a $1 gold about 3 yrs back and several seated coins over the span of the 6 yrs I've been hunting it thumbs down P.S. - that's why I said I was a bit surprised that no old coins came to light on these 2 days out there but hey = the farmer will be plowing it up/prepping it for planting very soon so I'll be back out there for a few days before he plants (usually mid May here before they start) and/but we'll see if that changes up the age of the coin finds a bit!
April 23, 2018 10:15PM
Sweet digs Wayne. Gotta love those old ghost towns
April 24, 2018 12:10AM
Nice score man!

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
April 24, 2018 01:00AM
Cal_cobra Wrote:

>
> Much better then the place Tom and I went to yeste
> rday and more or less struck out at

Uhhh, well ... there were other reasons we "struck out at" the place. Other than lack of potential targets at said-place . angry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2018 01:01AM by Tom_in_CA.
April 24, 2018 01:04AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:

>
> Tom_in_CA -- being that you hunt ghost towns too,,
> , I know you appreciate all the "relicky" things l
> ike I do and you're 100% correct = they tell a sto
> ry of the site/age of a place. Just so happens tha
> t this one gave up a $1 gold about 3 yrs back and
> several seated coins over the span of the 6 yrs ...

Yes: Whenever a site has known-coin-potential, then that "potential" continues to exist as long as a single period target, or target with the "right TID" can come to the surface. In our mind's eyes, any remaining targets that come out in the right depth/TID range, is to us: As good as the "gotcha" felt when bringing a period coin to the surface. Because it shows the spot still has potential to give up another period coin.