Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's your deepest coin using a Equinox 600 or 800?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What's your deepest coin using a Equinox 600 or 800?
May 22, 2018 11:20PM
I am looking at getting one of these machines but I am wondering how deep they are capable of going in the ground. I have a depth beast in a Explorer SE already but I figured if I can get close to depth of it along with target separation of a Deus in one. It could be good for my type of hunting.
Re: What's your deepest coin using a Equinox 600 or 800?
May 23, 2018 12:42AM
So far with the 800 Im at 9" on a penny. Came in clean and dont remember settings, but was more likely 4-5 recovery in park 1. Thats what I started off with and in that spot dug several deep coins in the 9" range that were solid hits with a good vdi, even if a little jumpy but very diggable vdi's. Since then Ive moved to park 2, 5 to 7 recovery and have got a couple coins pushing 6+ that are solid hits. In my test garden park 2, 5 recovery will hit a dime and lock the ID at 9" so I have no doubt it will hit deeper coins.
May 23, 2018 01:30AM
At my test garden in very clean ground, Field 2 [Multi] will pick up a silver dime at 11", but will not get the silver quarter at 13".

Field 2 at 15kHz will get a silver dime at 12" and a silver quarter at 14".

Gold 1 [Multi] will get a silver dime at 12", silver quarter at 15", and might go even deeper than that but those are the deepest coins in my garden.

Of the Park and Field modes, Field 2 is the deepest on coins. In clean ground, Park and Field get more depth in the single frequencies than they do in Multi. In mineralized ground, Multi might be deeper.

Gold 1 is by far the deepest of all the modes on coins and gets the best depth in Multi.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2018 01:10PM by Badger in NH.
May 23, 2018 02:09AM
I hunt 99% of the time so far in Park 1 mode; I've managed a few 9" wheats "in the field," and I can hit the 10" quarter in my test garden. My soil is irony red clay, and 9" is as deep as I dug a coin here, in 7 years swinging an Explorer SE Pro. In 7 months with the CTX, I've dug a 10" Indian, but with the 17" coil.

Moral of the story -- I can confirm that in my dirt, Multi-IQ is JUST as deep as FBS (if not a bit deeper), and I am reading reports from others where -- just like with FBS -- they can dig deeper coins with the Equinox in their dirt than I can mine.

Depth -- if comparing to your FBS machine -- is not something I'd worry about at all, if considering an Equinox.

Steve
May 23, 2018 03:14AM
9 inch Merc.. with some iron in the hole!

XP Deus
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
22 silvers, 2 silver rings, 1 Gold Ring -YTD 2018

Some of my random digs: [www.youtube.com]
May 23, 2018 04:02AM
Whoa, back the trolley up! Weren't you the guy that posted the thread wondering if you were the only person that had zero interest in a Nox, and that didn't know Which was worse, all the threads about the Nox or the Presidential thread? Haha what happened? Just busting your chops a little.

In the wild, it has been pinpointer length on dimes and pennies with good tone and ID above 20, so 9 inches or so in 3-4 bar red dirt. According to test garden results though, if I were to get across a deeper one in the wild, it would be easily detected down to around 10 inches at least on a dime, and 13 inches on a nickel.
May 23, 2018 06:32AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whoa, back the trolley up! Weren't you the guy th
> at posted the thread wondering if you were the onl
> y person that had zero interest in a Nox, and that
> didn't know Which was worse, all the threads about
> the Nox or the Presidential thread? Haha what happ
> ened? Just busting your chops a little.
>
>
> In the wild, it has been pinpointer length on dime
> s and pennies with good tone and ID above 20, so 9
> inches or so in 3-4 bar red dirt. According to te
> st garden results though, if I were to get across
> a deeper one in the wild, it would be easily detec
> ted down to around 10 inches at least on a dime, a
> nd 13 inches on a nickel.

Yeah I wasn't really that interested in them until I saw that you were getting pretty good results in your soil Daniel and another one of my buddies seems to think that the Equinox and me would be a great match. Keith Southern also said that it punches pretty deep in our soil. When the Equinox was first released I figured that it was all hype just like a bunch of other machines that have came and gone. LOL I guess you can bust my chops on it.
May 23, 2018 12:03PM
To me the best feature of the Equinox is its ability to sniff out good targets in a sea of iron.
May 25, 2018 06:55PM
Probably about 8" for me in my soil (on coins). It really will depend on the soil, so what we tell you may not be your experience. The Nox is a VHF IB machine and has their limitations--you want something deep, try PI. The Nox seems at least as deep as my Etrac. I wouldn't worry about depth.
May 25, 2018 10:06PM
A lot of people seem to expect the Equinox to be a super deep seeking detector. It has decent depth yes, but there are a lot of machines that are deeper.

I don't remember Minelab making any claims that the Equinox has incredible depth. I'd say it's just above average.

It's the Multi-IQ that is unique. There is some kind of magic going on there, but it's not just depth. It's how it deals with what's in the ground.

May 25, 2018 10:09PM
A lot of people seem to expect the Equinox to be a super deep seeking detector. It has decent depth yes, but there are a lot of machines that are deeper.

I don't remember Minelab making any claims that the Equinox has incredible depth. I'd say it's just average.

It's the Multi-IQ that is unique. There is some kind of magic going on there, but it's not in how deep it goes. It's how it deals with what's in the ground.

May 26, 2018 08:39PM
I seem to be getting about the same depth with the Equinox on coins as I do with my CTX. 9 to 10 inches on a dime or penny. The one thing I do notice about the Equinox is how it's able to find the good stuff better in the iron and trash than my CTX. So far in the last 2 months using the Equinox 800 I have pulled 27 silvers and lots of wheats and modern coins from sites I have hit hard with the CTX and Deus.
May 27, 2018 05:28PM
wow!..makes me want to run right out and "scoff one up"!
please don't disappoint me,and tell us you work for minelab!..ehe! he! he! he!

j.t.
May 30, 2018 01:08PM
My deepest was 3" below the surface in China, but I was swinging the coil in Pennsylvania !
May 30, 2018 01:29PM
Lesche plus 2 inches deep wheat penny. No joke.
May 30, 2018 08:23PM
Testing it against my CTX and Tom tuned CZ 6a in my soil here in Colorado on an actual 7 1/2 deep wheat penny it would not get it in any mode, low or high reactivity setting. Still have not dug anything past 6 to 7 inches with it. Could be my soil which is really bad etc. I have the Nox 800, probably won't be keeping it. It does real well on low conductors, did find an old key at about 7 to 8 in but high conductors not so well. Might be an EMI situation where I am hunting but my other machines don't struggle with depth.
May 30, 2018 09:12PM
Welgund Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Testing it against my CTX and Tom tuned CZ 6a in m
> y soil here in Colorado on an actual 7 1/2 deep wh
> eat penny it would not get it in any mode, low or
> high reactivity setting. Still have not dug anyth
> ing past 6 to 7 inches with it. Could be my soil
> which is really bad etc. I have the Nox 800, prob
> ably won't be keeping it. It does real well on lo
> w conductors, did find an old key at about 7 to 8
> in but high conductors not so well. Might be an E
> MI situation where I am hunting but my other machi
> nes don't struggle with depth.

Your not the first one that has told me that it's hotter on low conductors than it is on high conductors. I am wondering if you were running it in 5 kHz instead of multi would it be any better on high conductors?