Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

what's up with T'net ?

Posted by Tom_in_CA 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
what's up with T'net ?
May 25, 2018 04:36PM
This forum is generally populated with tech-minded logical thinking folks. So that silly stuff like dowsing, LRL's, and ghost stories are generally dismissed out of hand. Has anyone seen a trend @ T'net lately, that this stuff can hardly be questioned ? You have to tread VERY softly. Or risk being banned. I'm surprised Carl hasn't been banned for taking pokes at LRL's, for instance. Perhaps he just treads softer than me.

Same for treasure legends . (the silly stuff like Oak Island, Dents run, etc....) : A guy comes on claiming he'd found (past tense) the Dent's Run supposed treasure. His story got torn apart by skeptics, in what I thought were very fair questions that poked holes in the entire story. But I got banned for 30 days on that one, for being admittedly very hard on the guy's story.

But what's interesting, is that it's not only written up for supposed "badgering" , but the mod's go further and state that no one else can even bring up the subject again (to dare type out the words "Dent's Run") except the guy who claims to have found it. No scrutiny allowed ? Only affirming views allowed ? Is that weird ?

Ok, so I'm a good boy now and don't mention "Dent's run". But speaking in general terms, on a different post, to poke fun at treasure legends IN GENERAL, got me banned again. So no skepticism allowed on T'net ? You can only speak positively about dowsing, LRL's, supposed treasure legends, etc....

What's up with those mod's ? Isn't the purpose of forums to have all views (even dissenting) represented ? Isn't that the purpose of pro/con discussions on forums ? If someone here cares to point that out there (in a ... uh ... delicate way), that would be much appreciated.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2018 04:37PM by Tom_in_CA.
Re: what's up with T'net ?
May 25, 2018 05:36PM
Tom,

One of the reason I don't frequent T'net is because of it's support for the "hoodoo voodoo" stuff. The founder is really into it. And hoodoo voodoo has taken on a religious "don't touch' aspect that prohibits dissenting opinions.

HH
Mike
May 25, 2018 06:58PM
I stay off that Forum as those Illinois guys got are Forest Preserves closed to Detecting with there Yuppie group hunts and shovels. They would go in 6 or more Guys at a time sometimes more. We are talking about "Public' property here before anyone gets there panties in a bunch. We were just fine till they came along. Then give them all shovels and it's like waving a flag.
Common sense is not that common anymore.
They would even make Youtube videos titled Metal detecting Cook County Forest Preserves?
Look it up if You don't believe Me. Forum is dead now as they got all the spots closed.
Most of them could careless as a fad too them anyways.
Its a shame they ruined it for dead hards who care more about History then how much Silver You can get in a year.
Of course the County is also silly as We proposed a permit system willing to pay 100.00 a Year and they turned it down? No wonder this County is going BK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2018 07:19PM by Harold,ILL..
May 25, 2018 10:06PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They would even make Youtube videos titled Metal d
> etecting Cook County Forest Preserves?

BK: I remember the posts, awhile back. Folks lamenting that the Cook County Forest preserves were off-limits. I chimed in suggesting that I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it had nothing to do with holes or archie concerns. I had bet that it was md'rs THEMSELVES making themselves some sort of giant bullseye.
May 25, 2018 10:11PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
> One of the reason I don't frequent T'net is becaus
> e of it's support for the "hoodoo voodoo" stuff.
> The founder is really into it.....

Mike, yes I heard that the founder was into the superstitious, mystical, legends, conspiracies, & magic wand stuff. But that was back in the mid to late 1990s. He never chimes in any more (and no longer even owns it ?). So I'm not talking about him. I'm talking about the current mod's. With them, you get banned for poking fun at those things.

So if you go there, make sure you don't cast doubt on any of the likes of Lost Dutchman, Oak Island, Yamashita, Dents Run, dowsing or LRL's. That's all sacred ground that can only get affirming views, eh ?
May 25, 2018 11:48PM
You mean they too have a PitchFork Brigade?? LOL
May 26, 2018 12:41AM
doc holiday Wrote:
> You mean they too have a PitchFork Brigade?? LOL

Only if go to point out more plausible explanations for the camp-fire legend stories. Or if you poke fun at LRL's and dowsers. The mod's will call that "badgering" And once you get warned , don't dare say "why?" or suggest that they're favoring the ghost-story nonsense. Because that will now constitute "questioning the mod's". Which is another no-no on top of the prior no-no.

So no matter how you slice it, it's very hard to pose hard questions and logic, to any post there that promotes the ghost stuff.
May 26, 2018 04:34PM
A large portion of what is wrong over there is one of the (ahem) more senior mods that is good buds with Kellyco and KC sells LRLs. He will not tolerate the slightest hint of criticism of KC under the guise of "slandering a sponsor". He also likes to arbitrarily (and outside the forum rules) delete stuff that he doesn't agree with or that shows him up as wrong- regardless of how tactfully/politely it is posted. I quit going over there a few months ago because of him. I have had PM conversations with some of the better known, most respected posters on the forums tell me that he is "senile" or "off his meds" and needs to be removed from moderating. When I left, at least several of us politely suggested to one of the top dawgs that he be eased out as a detriment to the site. I am told that this suggesting/reporting/complaining has happened more than once over the last few years.

btw, has anyone else noticed the plethora of Equinoxes that sell for much higher than msrp on ebay out of Orlando, while KC customers patiently wait "in line"?
May 26, 2018 05:22PM
Lately, a lot of the forums just seem off for some reason. I've always liked this forum as the members tend to be more 'scientific/objective' in their quest to understand metal detecting, the technology, etc. if that makes any sense.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
May 26, 2018 06:10PM
Champ Ferguson Wrote:
> A large portion of what is wrong over there is one
> of the (ahem) more senior mods that is good
> buds with Kellyco and KC sells LRLs.

Thanx for your input champ F. I was not aware of that. But it sort of makes sense when I reflect back on the various warnings given to posters like myself and Carl. On any other subject, locker room talk is tolerated. But not when it comes to ghost story Legends and LRLs.

Would you do me a favor and pm me the name of the mod. You are referring to. So I can see if it's the same one that just Banned Me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2018 06:44PM by Tom_in_CA.
May 26, 2018 06:46PM
adamBomb Wrote:
> this forum as the member
> s tend to be more 'scientific/objective' in their
> quest to understand metal detecting, the technolog
> y, etc. if that makes any sense.

Yes. Which is exactly why I chose to voice my observation here. Logic and common sense, and tech-minded folk here.
May 26, 2018 06:54PM
LoL

that place went to crap back in 2008/9 and I quit posting on ALL fronts except in my local state/forum on occasion where there's only about 10/12 of us local boys that interact.

Before that time it was a fun place = kinda like the wild west of forums -- you could say almost anything you wanted,,, bust on people,,, crack jokes on detectors/LRL's or whatever

but then along came the "PC police" (notice timeline = same time Obummer got elected). Since then it's been an ongoing decline and a battle of/with the idiots over there. Nothing but newbies, wannabe's, crybabies and backstabbers that complain, whine and report you for anything they don't like to/wanna hear.

I remember when Jeff_XX << can't give it away but (one of the longest running mods on that forum) used to join in on the fun! It was a blast messin with all the newbies and complainers. There was a "click" at that time and it was like a nightly if not at least a few times per week ritual to log on, grab a cold one and let the fun/games begin! grinning smiley

Ahhh = the good ol'e days BEFORE PC and all the snowflake/you hurt my feelings/offended me (wha wha) BS!
May 26, 2018 10:36PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
> LoL
>
> that place went to crap back in 2008/9 and I quit
> posting on ALL fronts except in my local state/for
> um on occasion where there's only about 10/12 of u
> s local boys that interact.
>
> Before that time it was a fun place = kinda like t
> he wild west of forums -- you could say almost any
> thing you wanted,,, bust on people,,, crack jokes
> on detectors/LRL's or whatever
>
> but then along came the "PC police" (notice timeli
> ne = same time Obummer got elected). Since then it
> 's been an ongoing decline and a battle of/with th
> e idiots over there. Nothing but newbies, wannabe'
> s, crybabies and backstabbers that complain, whine
> and report you for anything they don't like to/wan
> na hear.
>
> I remember when Jeff_XX << can't give it away but
> (one of the longest running mods on that forum) us
> ed to join in on the fun! It was a blast messin wi
> th all the newbies and complainers. There was a "c
> lick" at that time and it was like a nightly if no
> t at least a few times per week ritual to log on,
> grab a cold one and let the fun/games begin! grinning smiley
>
> Ahhh = the good ol'e days BEFORE PC and all the sn
> owflake/you hurt my feelings/offended me (wha wha)
> BS!

Yes. It was the first forum that I knew of. In the early days of the internet (well, early for me, in the late 1990s). So there was really no other game in town back then. And to this day: It continues to be probably the largest forum. So it's unfortunate that the current mod's silence skepticism.

I can certainly understand trying to reign in "badgering". And banning talk that is truly unkind, etc.... But it's turning out to silence any/all voices that chime in to be skeptical of the ghost stuff (legends, dowsing, etc....). Even modest locker room talk, that should be par for the course, get's shut down . On just those select topics. Bummer.
May 26, 2018 10:51PM
Here's the 2 posts that got me banned . Someone tell me if these were worthy of a ban :

[www.treasurenet.com] My post #229, followed by warning in #230

[www.treasurenet.com] My post #12 . Followed by the warning in #13

Then Carl NC comes on with "pokes". Albeit more gentle than mine. But so far .... he's getting away with it. Someone needs to PM the mod to get Carl banned too, eh ? Just kidding Carl. As usual, yours is a voice of common sense that has no doubt saved gullible newbies countless dollars and time.
May 27, 2018 01:25AM
T-Net was big in the late 90s. It didn't take long before it was getting out of control though. That's how and why the Treasure Depot was created, by people sick of the non sense at T net. I quit posting there back then and joined in at the Depot. I stayed there for a number of years and got into my first forum war over the Shadow X5 and Tesoro Tejon thing. That's the thing that divided me with that crew. About that same time, there was the big fallout over the organized hunts between Larry and John K. There was a lot of dirty stuff that went on there that I didn't agree with and I left the Depot for good. That has been over 10 years ago now and if I start thinking about it, it won't take long before my blood pressure is up. After what some of them said and done, those guys better hope our paths don't ever cross again.
May 27, 2018 02:06AM
While reading the posts on this thread it made me think of something that happened a number of years ago. I sold a detector to a fella on one of the forums and a coil to another fella, somehow I got the wrong address on the the packages and the person that was suppose to get the detector got the coil and the detector went to the person that suppose to get the coil. These were/are a couple of standup forum members. I sent an email to each person and explained what I did. I asked them to send the items back and I would get the shipping done correctly this time. The fella that got the detector told me that he would mail it to the other guy, and wouldn't take anything from me for the shipping. Well I mentioned this good deed on the Depot forum and Larry (Depot owner I believe) called me at 11:00 at night madder than a wet hen telling me to never mention this person's nane on his forum again as he didn't like him and had no use for him,etc. I don't think I have ever had a phone call from anyone that mad before. He sure doesn't seem to be people friendly that's for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2018 02:09AM by SkiWhiz.
May 27, 2018 02:42AM
Ski -- That doesn't surprise me in the least bit. He is one person in this world that I have absolutely no use for.
May 27, 2018 02:53AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Ski -- That doesn't surprise me in the least bit.
> He is one person in this world that I have absolut
> ely no use for.

T'depot's "relic" section is fairly renowned for having input/traffic from the most knowledgeable hardcore relic guys . From back east and south (CW hunters, etc....). Didn't know about any friction there.
May 27, 2018 03:22AM
In case anybody needs still more reasons not to buy from Kellyco...

and if any
May 27, 2018 04:38AM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Here's the 2 posts that got me banned . Someone
> tell me if these were worthy of a ban :
>
> [www.treasurenet.com]
> 8231-death-traps-16.html My post #229, followed
> by warning in #230
>
> [www.treasurenet.com]
> ors/540510-long-range-locators-work.html My pos
> t #12 . Followed by the warning in #13
>
> Then Carl NC comes on with "pokes". Albeit more g
> entle than mine. But so far .... he's getting a
> way with it. Someone needs to PM the mod to get
> Carl banned too, eh ? Just kidding Carl. As us
> ual, yours is a voice of common sense that has no
> doubt saved gullible newbies countless dollars and
> time.

Funny stuff in that thread (especially in the 2nd link you posted)!

I don't see why YOU specifically would be/have gotten banned after reading some of the others post in there but that T-hunter mod guy said = "this is the LRL forum/no one has to prove anything and it's not the LRL's don't work forum" --- so there's his grounds to ban people IF he chooses to do so. Basically he's saying the sub-forum is a place to discuss LRL's and NOT weather they work or not and not the place to call people out on it (which only goes back to my OP above) in where I said around 2008/9 the PC police arrived on the scene and the entire forum changed/went to crap.

I was a member there from nearly the time it started in the later 90s too but at one point my account got hacked and I had to go thru a bunch of crap to start all over/with a new account and everything in like 2004/5 but that was when it was still at it's height/peak for having fun on there and when you could point out/call out BS/scams and all and not get in trouble for it but it soon went to crap in a hurry shortly thereafter thumbs up
May 27, 2018 04:44AM
thanx for the solidarity guys. I figured there was some "thin skin" going on there, and this just confirms it.
May 27, 2018 11:34AM
Ski, I got banned from TreasureDepot years ago for putting a link to the forum on my website [www.treasurelinx.com] to help promote it. Larry emailed me with a raging email to remove it and said my website was a disgrace to the hobby. So I removed the link . Notice the only usefulness this forum has these days, is the very popular classified selling section.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 27, 2018 01:05PM
Sven1 Wrote:
> Ski, I got banned from TreasureDepot years ago for
> putting a link to the forum on my website https://
> www.treasurelinx.com/links.html to help promote it
> . Larry emailed me with a raging email to remove i
> t and said my website was a disgrace to the hobby.
> So I removed the link . Notice the only usefulness
> this forum has these days, is the very popular cla
> ssified selling section.

I for one know that you are an asset to any forum and you have a website that I have enjoyed for along time. I am pretty sure that he got you and himself mixed up when he mentioned a disgrace to the hobby.
May 27, 2018 01:08PM
I remember the days of the mod Jeff taking part in the fun. Good guy and always enjoyed reading his posts.

Tom, PM sent tho MRH has nailed it already. TH.

I think it would be a good time for me to thank Tom Dankowski for this forum. I don't think I've ever noticed any moderation here and that is also a good reason to thank all of you for a fun place to come.
May 27, 2018 02:13PM
Jeff was close to me geographically. At one time I hunted with one of his friends. He had some very funny stories about Jeff. I wished I would have met him. The forums all have their quirks. Findmall sure has some as well as that Whites forum if it even exists today. I got chewed out on the depot and never go there anymore. Here and friendly are it for me as far as regular viewing. But I'm afraid the best days of the hobby are behind us. JMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2018 04:10PM by goodmore.
May 27, 2018 04:55PM
goodmore Wrote:
> Jeff was close to me geographically. At one time I
> hunted with one of his friends. He had some very f
> unny stories about Jeff. I wished I would have met
> him. The forums all have their quirks. Findmall su
> re has some as well as that Whites forum if it eve
> n exists today. I got chewed out on the depot and
> never go there anymore. Here and friendly are it f
> or me as far as regular viewing. But I'm afraid t
> he best days of the hobby are behind us. JMO.

Yes they are. People can lie to theirself all they want, But it will never be like it was at least for us Public site Hunters. Its just a matter of time till what happened to Me will come to visit You. This always was a small cult like Hobby not meant to go Mainstream. I know I am a Grumphy Old Man holding onto the past. But the past was awesome.
May 27, 2018 07:00PM
Well I stopped visiting TNET when you started having to pay to sell stuff on their classifieds forum. They're all about making a buck. I know that was a way of doing away with scammers but it's also a way of doing away with good forum members that post regularly.
May 28, 2018 02:18AM
88junior Wrote:
> Well I stopped visiting TNET when you started havi
> ng to pay to sell stuff on their classifieds forum
> . They're all about making a buck. I know that was
> a way of doing away with scammers but it's also a
> way of doing away with good forum members that pos
> t regularly.

That's when I stopped visiting Tnet also Morgan.-----I think they lost a LOT of good members at that time.
May 28, 2018 09:17AM
Tnet is a dump, over moderated by old geezers posting from trailer parks with 20,000 posts each.
May 29, 2018 01:09PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> This forum is generally populated with tech-minded
> logical thinking folks. So that silly stuff like
> dowsing, LRL's, and ghost stories are generally di
> smissed out of hand. Has anyone seen a trend @ T
> 'net lately, that this stuff can hardly be questio
> ned ? You have to tread VERY softly. Or risk
> being banned. I'm surprised Carl hasn't been ban
> ned for taking pokes at LRL's, for instance. Pe
> rhaps he just treads softer than me.
>
> Same for treasure legends . (the silly stuff lik
> e Oak Island, Dents run, etc....) : A guy comes
> on claiming he'd found (past tense) the Dent's Run
> supposed treasure. His story got torn apart by s
> keptics, in what I thought were very fair question
> s that poked holes in the entire story. But I got
> banned for 30 days on that one, for being admitted
> ly very hard on the guy's story.
>
> But what's interesting, is that it's not only writ
> ten up for supposed "badgering" , but the mod's go
> further and state that no one else can even bring
> up the subject again (to dare type out the words "
> Dent's Run") except the guy who claims to have fou
> nd it. No scrutiny allowed ? Only affirming vie
> ws allowed ? Is that weird ?
>
> Ok, so I'm a good boy now and don't mention "Dent'
> s run". But speaking in general terms, on a diff
> erent post, to poke fun at treasure legends IN GEN
> ERAL, got me banned again.
So no skepticism allo
> wed on T'net ? You can only speak positively abou
> t dowsing, LRL's, supposed treasure legends, etc..
> ..
>
> What's up with those mod's ? Isn't the purpose of
> forums to have all views (even dissenting) represe
> nted ? Isn't that the purpose of pro/con discussi
> ons on forums ? If someone here cares to point t
> hat out there (in a ... uh ... delicate way), that
> would be much appreciated.

IF that was my fault I am truly sorry, that wasn't my intent.