Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone else tried this test with the Equinox

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone else tried this test with the Equinox
May 27, 2018 06:33PM
[www.youtube.com]

I tried this test with my Equinox 800. I use Park 2 most the time for my coin hunting. I use a 5 tone and sometimes a 50 tone program. I noticed a tone drop when the quarter is straight up and vertical but as I slowly moved around the quarter with it standing straight up the tone goes to a high tone until I am vertical again. Only in 2 spots does the tone drop. I can get a sold tone all the way around. I tried this same test with my CTX. Same results. Tone drops when the quarter is vertical, High tone all other directions. I did notice when I tried this test in other programs that Park 1 and Field 1 had the most problem seeing the quarter. Park 2 and Field 2 had no problem. In Park 1 and Field 1 the quarter would almost disappear when I went over it vertically standing straight up. None of the programs had a problem seeing the quarter Horizontally just Vertically.
Re: Anyone else tried this test with the Equinox
May 28, 2018 02:50PM
Must not be anything important. No one has anything to say about this. Must be a normal response to a quarter on edge.
May 28, 2018 03:12PM
Detectors work by the receive antenna getting eddy currents for the surface of a buried target. Change the orientation of the target and the returned signal changes.

What’s more interesting in the Nox is change modes and the ID numbers change. A silver graduation ring laying on the grass. In both park modes and inb Beach 1, a steady reading between a couple of numbers in the silver range. Switch to beach 2 and suddenly you start getting 8’s and 18’s thrown in.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
May 28, 2018 04:49PM
He is right. The Tone can drop especially when the inner & centre winding areas are over the coin.
'lytle78' is also correct in that the Target ID's with ON-EDGE targets cause both single and multiple digit readouts e.g. a 50c euro coin tested 21/22 flat on but on edge changed up to 24/25 and then switched to 8 and 18...
Is it really a concern? I don't think so.

Noted also he had 'COINS +' active on the X-Terra 705: this helps 'stabilise' the TID's if and when a target might be 'off kilter'...so a target might show, 21, 22 23,26,28 without Coins + on but once on it helps reduce multiple readouts.
I have a feeling the NOX has this algorithm in it and has been enhanced even further as many owners are reporting super solid '12's for nickels and other targets etc.

The most intriguing thing in the video was that loud 5.4 litre motor that passed back and forth...Chevy...Ford...GMC...make model and year anyone???
May 29, 2018 03:06PM
A few different factors at work here:

Recovery speed: At the default recovery speed, the coil is having a hard time seeing the coin...

...At that depth: Being so close to the coil, the target's profile is being read only for a tiny fraction of time.

TID algorithm: looks like they are using a multi-process algorithm. First process might be the "highest TID is the one displayed when the target first encounters the coil".

Example: you sweep the coil and catch a piece of the target, it gives a high tone.

Second process might be "most frequent re-occurring TID is the one displayed".

Example: You stop to investigate the initial high tone and as you go over the target a few times and the TID shows a pull tab and locks on to a number and a tone.

Memory: It may retain a memory(or snap shot) and can recall if conditions are similar to the same conditions under the "Most frequent re-occurring TID" algorithm.

A one inch quarter on it's side is rare. so I wouldn't be too concerned.
May 30, 2018 03:15AM
If your digging by solid numbers you'd probably miss the coin on edge, but then again, someone with time and experience on a particular machine may know to expect the numbers to jump when they hit a coin on edge, the audio giving the clue with a double beep, not pinpointing over center etc
By doing such tests, at least then you know what clues to look for in the field.

I've been hoovering the last desperate signals from one of my favorite sites, really faint scratchy one way signals, short double beeps, signals that are flopping ferrous/non ferrous etc, and it's surprising the thin buttons, lead washers and small coins i'm finding on edge with a 20khz sniper coil.
May 30, 2018 10:06AM
'teccying as I have been for more years than I care to fess up to, I've found a good average of coins that had been 'on edge' / from 1" - 11" (an E Trac discovered a large copper half penny side on wayyyyyy down)
It's very common on beaches for the coin/s to be 'edge on' so if a particular detector can report it, that's a bonus. However, more than likely, the signals might be iffy, scratchy, blanking, changing ID's and pin pointing will be off and that's a good reason for people not to pay any particular attention to the occurrence and assume it's junk.
If these are dug and a coin is found, more often than not they will 'nod the head' and blame the [ poor pin pointing ] on just not pin pointing 'accurately' in the first instance.
When I tested the 'Tesoro Mojave', it found more than it's fair share of 'on edge' coinage and it was a while before I cottoned onto the fact that it was the 'coil windings' were responsible for the 'off-centre' pin points and not the operator - me.
When I first tested the ORIGINAL 'Explorer XS' at an old 'stile' area (a stile is a step system in a stone wall to enable easy access) that had given up on finds, it located 2 old 'farthings' (quarter pennies) from the Victorian period (1890 - ) that had been completely missed by other contemporary machines of that period"
May 30, 2018 04:50PM
[www.youtube.com]

Same guy contacted Minelab and they sent him back a list of test to try. This is his test.
May 30, 2018 06:17PM
Mccrorysjewelry2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.youtube.com]
> e=push-fr&attr_tag=e_sXwiV6U9WQNmgK-6
>
> Same guy contacted Minelab and they sent him back
> a list of test to try. This is his test.

LOL! It was the same reasons I gave. I guess I knew more than I thought.
May 31, 2018 08:58PM
Sure ML is out in their corporate backyard testing the Equinox and scratching their heads too. That is a significant problem to have uncovered. My first impression is that this effect (coin on edge) is due to the configuration of the Eq coil over the CTX coil. I'd surmise that the Eq coil has a tighter magnetic field signature, meaning that the field lines are more vertical (like a knife) which is a factor in increasing the ML target separation and improving target ID. In other words, ML redesigned the Eq coil to work better than the similar 11"DD CTX coil, hence the improvements in the Eq coil.

But, it may be (speculation) that targets on edge present very little intersection with those field lines, with the magnetic lines from the Tx coil being very vertical at least near the surface. A smaller coil would not have as much of a problem as field lines are loops and would be more circular, cutting the vertical coin. If the coil is the issue, there is probably nothing ML could do without affecting its other improvements (TID, separation). Perhaps the 6" Eq coil would solve the problem.

The good news, if this is the cause, is that in the ground the field lines will be distorted and your likelihood of cutting into the vertical coin surface and driving current in a high-conductor improves. This would also be true for neutral soil that has iron nails scattered about spreading the field lines horizontally to intersect vertical targets better.

-John
May 31, 2018 10:15PM
My detector, it is park 1 that struggles with quarters somewhat, halves and silver dollars big time on edge.
Park 2 does fine.

Park 1 dime on edge seems to pass too.

Seems it is dependent on coin sIze or some thing.

Don't think it's the coil. Something in park 1 program.
This has been stated early on by some folks what the Nox is doing here in park 1.

Minelab has known about for some time.

Can it be remedied? With update.
Surely it can be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2018 10:16PM by tnsharpshooter.
June 01, 2018 08:55AM
This is what they wrote in their own Treasure Talk Blog on their own web site Oct. 19, 2017

How does Multi-IQ compare to BBS/FBS?
Multi-IQ uses a different group of fundamental frequencies than BBS/FBS to generate a wide-band multi-frequency transmission signal that is more sensitive to high frequency targets and slightly less sensitive to low frequency targets. Multi-IQ uses the latest high-speed processors and advanced digital filtering techniques for a much faster recovery speed than BBS/FBS technologies. Multi-IQ copes with saltwater and beach conditions almost as well as BBS/FBS, however BBS/FBS still have an advantage for finding high conductive silver coins in all conditions.
June 01, 2018 12:05PM
It's called "wiggle room".
June 01, 2018 02:37PM
When I first got the Nox 600 I bench tested a TON of stuff!

I've seen (and heard) some pretty unexpected bench test reactions from various silver coins with different machines thru the years.
Then there are 'silver coins' that aren't really 'silver coins!' - these can be low grade cuprous nickel coins that resemble silver but don't have that much actual silver content?
Then there are 'commerative' or 'memorial' coins / tokens some huge in size compared to other 'standardised coins' of the realm and despite being large might contain little or no actual silver.
Then there are clearly coins that are known to be made from almost pure silver.
These can all read predictably and unpredictable both 'in air' and on a manufactured 'outside air test' stuck into, under and on the ground / cardboard etc.

Confused yet?
So are the machines!

For example, I bench tested 4 random different 'silver's from 3 different countries.

1. 1964 JFK half dollar - target ID 34 high tone - that is what I expected.
2. 1962 cupro nickel half crown - target ID 16 mid tone - that is what I expected
3. 1928 silver half crown - target ID 32/33 - that is what I expected
4. 1945 Commerative Churchill crown coin (full US dollar coin size) - target ID 19 mid tone and I really didn't know what to expect? It 'looks like' silver because I cannot see any 'clad copper colours' on the rim?

What does the above prove / show? It shows that detectors establish reactions based on installed software algorithms and set coil frequencies.

No, they weren't tested 'on edge', just flat on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 02:41PM by Des D.
June 01, 2018 03:09PM
just like the nox and the fifty cent test. Lay two fifty cent pieces flat on top of one another and see what happens when you sweep the coil.