Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Where are all the thin/fine gold chains

Posted by doc holiday 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Where are all the thin/fine gold chains
June 03, 2018 09:24PM
When the Sky Diver hit the ground with Ole Obsoleter rumor had it that gold chains would be like T.Rex---long gone,but after reading all the water/beach forums I cannot recall any,maybe one, chains that have been found with the "Chain Vacuum". Please enlighten me.
Re: Where are all the thin/fine gold chains
June 03, 2018 09:39PM
To busy digging bottlecaps and beaver tails, takes up all the time detecting.
June 03, 2018 09:53PM
I think I would ask again at the end of summer. The depositors are just starting to return. I know you guys like kicking the Nox around, but it is proving to be a capable machine. I'm very happy with mine and I think a lot of others are too. I agree about the bottle caps but all the decent beach machines I've been around made you dig beaver tails. The thing is that if you're digging a lot of beaver tails then you're not hunting a very good cut.
June 03, 2018 09:55PM
NHmetaldetecting has hit a few with his.

youtube
June 03, 2018 10:28PM
I've got about 8 silvers with the nox. Its as deep as my other machines. Will it hit chains? Not sure it will do so at depth...but its way too early in the summer to tell.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
June 03, 2018 10:47PM
This is a very valid question. Any machine that can excel at "micro-jewelry" (earring studs, tinsel thin chains, etc...) will be lauded for that ability, eh ? But when push comes to shove, where's the show & tell of all the micro-jewelry ? Even guys using beach pulse machines aren't necessarily posting show & tell of tinsel thin chains and earring studs, eh ?

This was my observation when testing the Nox 800 @ the dry sand of a very touristy beach near me. I immediately saw that it *did* have a great ability at micro-jewelry (tteeeennnnsy specks of foil, etc...). While at the same time not loosing ability to knock out iron, nor lack of TID on coin/ring sized stuff . Eh ?

But in the final analysis, I had to ask myself: "Is it worth it ?" Do I really want to dig staple sized stuff so-as-not to miss micro-jewelry ? Heck, what is the weight of a tinsel thin chain anyhow ?? What is the weight of an earring stud anyhow ? The only possible exception to this "value" rule, would be if a diamond were set into an earring stud or mounted on a tinsel thin chain. Not very likely odds.
June 03, 2018 11:00PM
I think Tom nailed it with an honest and straight forward answer, although probably not what the starting poster wanted to see, since this is a yet another obvious attempt to diss on a detector.

The Nox certainly has the ability to find them but there in lies the catch/problem. If it can see tiny chains and micro jewelry, then it can also see tiny junk. I wonder what the micro trash to gold chain ratio is out in the wild? It would certainly be like taking a Fisher GoldBug into a park and trying to find gold. Sure...it has the capability but you're gonna punish yourself. I think most people will start out digging those small single digit number/signals, but after chasing micro trash, they will start going after the double digit numbers and ignoring the singles.

I also have a suspicion that freshwater hunters will do better at finding chains/bracelets than our saltwater counterparts. There seems to be better sensitivity and wider range of ID spacing in the non beach modes on the Nox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 11:37PM by Daniel Tn.
June 03, 2018 11:29PM
The electronic signature of a thin chain is probably very different than a speck of can slaw or a foil bottle closer.

Problem is, no VLF IB detector which has the capability to detect them, can reliably distinguish between them.

It may be a problem which is essentially insoluble.

Of course that’s in dry sand or earth. In wet salt, add the issue that no current salt-capable detector sees them very well in the wet salt.

Heck of a challenge. Perhaps a different technology can provide at least a partial answer.

I expect no new data until next year. Then we may see a change.

I’m doing my Tex Kinsey imitation.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 03, 2018 11:31PM
GreenMeanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NHmetaldetecting has hit a few with his.
>
>
youtube

Below is the video of his first gold chain with the Equinox 600. I was there when he dug it. It's a microfine chain that ID'd just above iron in the low single numbers. He digs it at 9:00.

[www.youtube.com]

June 03, 2018 11:45PM
That's the key, low ID numbers just above iron or at iron in disc mode. How many people run disc mode that low or would dig all those low numbers.

Badger in NH Wrote:
> GreenMeanie Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > NHmetaldetecting has hit a few with his.
> >
> >
> [url=https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQFyciOMFlw
> taglSH8Y7Ing]youtube[/url]
>
>
> Below is the video of his first gold chain with th
> e Equinox 600. I was there when he dug it. It's a
> microfine chain that ID'd just above iron in the l
> ow single numbers. He digs it at 9:00.
>
> [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_nZ-NpK4ko&t=618s[/url]
>
> .

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
June 04, 2018 12:18AM
Let all the Retired hunters scoop up all the micro jewelry, they have the time to dig 8000 pieces of foil to one small piece of jewelry. And hopefully it's a chain.
June 04, 2018 12:36AM
The chains are in the wet salt and the water....the beach sifting machines pick up the chains in the dry sand.
June 04, 2018 01:18AM
Just a fact of life too much junk imitates thin gold chains......end of discussion...
June 04, 2018 01:56AM
June 04, 2018 02:52AM
It would Seem that from many of the well thought out answers that there are Legitimate reasons,too much junk that has the same sounds,numbers etc. that makes the effort/time involved not worth the endeavor. These revealing responses certainly adds to our knowledge unlike " he's just dissing mah detector". Is there Any detector ever made that wasn't "dissed"??
June 04, 2018 09:23AM
Having watched Tom`s beach hunting video years ago one of his facts always stuck in my mind. The ratio of women's rings on the beach vs men's rings. Yet most finds are the large bands. Screw the chains. Those small rings with large stones are the targets to find. Using a more sensitive machine will increase the odds of finding one, but as some already pointed out the trash digging greatly increases. The problem of picking gold out of trash has not gotten any closer to being solved. Target ID on the beach is worthless. If it beeps you need to dig it. As I get older.....And that seems to happening at an accelerated rate lately I find myself wanting to dig less trash...... not more. The one question I always wondered about is this.......Can they increase the depth of a detector to find gold on a beach without increasing It's sensitivity to small shallow trash targets? Basically more depth to an Excal or Sovereign type machine. They hit pretty good on the larger gold that sinks....I just need to get deeper. Maybe the Manta? Through my years of beach hunting I have taken note that a few more inches of depth means a great deal. Where the waves have eroded the sand is the place to be.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 09:32AM by goodmore.
June 04, 2018 09:43AM
I believe its a little early to see what the people hunting the water may find. Just not enough out the with phones yet. But im sensing disappoint. I personally dont think its going to get the chains id hoped. I do have 3 and a bracelet. ... but I dont think my 48 gram one will qualify as micro. I dont believe the dirt diggers have nearly the shot at finding chains or small gold us beach guys do. They are just working to much trash..... way more than we are in my opinion. Working the wet sand it gets gold deeper I believe than our current machines just because of beach 1s ability. .... something we cant really use effectively in the water. We also deal with more concentrations of black sand there. To me the question is.... is this the machine id hoped for.... not really. You have to work at it.....and thers only a couple of adjustments u have to help.
June 04, 2018 10:47AM
on the wet sand, to be successful on chains and micro jewels

you have to take a small coil 8 inches view less
large coils longer than 10 inches pick up too much ground effect

with the PI, it's not a question of weight , but of diameter

we may have better results
with Bipolar = high attenuation of ground effects
or the other thing, which is in the boxes at Fisher
but we will have to wait a little ....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Detector used : Fisher Aquamanta /

Pulsepower Goldscan 5c / Aquastar / Goldquest SSV3 / Nexus Coronado / Vista Gold
June 04, 2018 11:34AM
Thats going to be an issue with the Nox...... 11" coil and only a 6" coil. Thats why there is a need for the 9" coil with the Nox. Again ....coverage vs sensitivity vs target objective. 6" coil working wet sand is tedious. .... and during recent drop periods isnt a coil most will use.
June 04, 2018 12:08PM
LE.JAG Wrote:
> on the wet sand, to be successful on chains and m
> icro jewels
>
> you have to take a small coil 8 inches view less
> large coils longer than 10 inches pick up too much
> ground effect
>
> with the PI, it's not a question of weight , but
> of diameter
>
> we may have better results
> with Bipolar = high attenuation of ground effects
> or the other thing, which is in the boxes at Fishe
> r
> but we will have to wait a little ....

Wow--very informative--thanks a million for your input.
June 04, 2018 02:28PM
For the forums info...old Tesoro's used with no discrimination would hit on gold chains and bobbi pins, fish hooks etc. would give a ratty hit in fresh water.

However they are useless in salt water conditions...
June 04, 2018 03:28PM
Fine gold - salt water

A tough combination for any VLF IB detector - single or multi frequency due to the GB point of the salt and the need to reduce power (check the difference between Beach1 and Beach2 on the Nox or the difference between Salt mode and regular mode on a CZ series machine - the CZ21 is “locked” in the salt mode in fact.

Fine gold (anywhere) - a tough target for any Pulse Induction detector with a pulse delay greater than about 10 microseconds. ML SDC might do OK, haven’t seen any data on it.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 04, 2018 06:35PM
I did not really do any tests
with the manta on the very fine chains
only the 12 inches for now......

it is better than the TDI
normal, it starts faster and makes less noise
but the difference is not as visible as on a ring of 1 gr / diameter question

in three years of hunting at 7us
I never made chain pieces / without clasp or medal
yet we know there are many ...

ground effect on wet sand
to a limit by yet crossed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Detector used : Fisher Aquamanta /

Pulsepower Goldscan 5c / Aquastar / Goldquest SSV3 / Nexus Coronado / Vista Gold