Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Nox 800 Hacks and Tips

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Nox 800 Hacks and Tips
June 17, 2018 10:32AM
This guy has a very interesting observation when determining target i.d.
Target I.D. Hack
I've not yet tried it, don't know how useful it would be but exploitation of technology is always good thing for Th'ers

Anyone else have comments, another observation, hack or tip ???

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
Re: Nox 800 Hacks and Tips
June 17, 2018 11:20AM
Only comment is - I hate having to watch 6 minutes of video to learn what could have been conveyed in a sentence or two.

The first 1.5 minutes have to do with sensitivity to small gold. He demonstrates this by having his pal hold the nugget in his hand. Bad idea. A detector sensitive to the smallest low conductiors will readily signal on a person’s hand - detection the iron in our blood. Oops.

As far as his “Hack” he admits that he read about it online - it has been documented for many weeks that switching to all metal will often cause bottle caps which read around 13 to break-up and throw negative numbers. It is not necessary to pump the coil however. Just a couple of swings will do the trick.

Sensitive detectors with DD coils tend to love steel bottle caps. With most of them I have used, just presenting the angled edge of the coil or raising it will “break-Up” the cap signal. My Nox 600 loves these caps “too much” - the all metal mode switch will give them away, but it is an annoyance to have to do it.

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 17, 2018 11:41AM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>My Nox 600 loves these caps “too much” - the all metal mode switch will give them away, but it is an annoyance to have to do it.
-

I can't think of a situation where I wouldn't want to be in all metal. Without it you're only getting part of the picture.

June 17, 2018 01:18PM
I would imagine its very easy to hack these machines...If I had the time I would. It would be cool to go in and overclock all of the settings. In the future I would love for these companies to control the device from your phone via an app - no need for a control box on the detector.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
June 17, 2018 04:55PM
Badger, I'm finding that all metal seems to be my most used moede with the Equinox except at the beach. I don't think it would work too well there and that's where the Equinox is having problems with bottle caps.
June 17, 2018 08:57PM
Shakydigger Wrote:
> Badger, I'm finding that all metal seems to be my
> most used moede with the Equinox except at the bea
> ch. I don't think it would work too well there and
> that's where the Equinox is having problems with b
> ottle caps.

I use all metal 100% of the time on the wet sand same as I do on land. It works just fine. I haven't had any problem with it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2018 09:03PM by Badger in NH.
June 17, 2018 09:02PM
Badger, other than fixing the Nox’s bottle cap addiction, what advantages do you find from running in “accept all”. I find it pretty tiresome on ny Nox 600 - maybe I’m missing something.

Rick Kempf
June 17, 2018 09:09PM
lytle78 Wrote:
> Badger, other than fixing the Nox’s bottle cap add
> iction, what advantages do you find from running i
> n “accept all”. I find it pretty tiresome on ny N
> ox 600 - maybe I’m missing something.

All metal allows you to know how much iron and hot rocks are around so that you know where to set the recovery speed. It also helps with identifying ferrous targets. It gives a much clearer picture of what the target is.

What do you find tiresome? The low tones are very soft. I hardly notice them.

I had the 600 for a month, now I have the 800.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2018 09:23PM by Badger in NH.
June 17, 2018 11:41PM
Badger, I'll have to try the all metal mode at the beach in the morning. As far as using all metal mode on the Nox, I'm in agreement with you about having more information about what you are dealing with in the ground. To me it also seems to have a slight edge in target separation. I did set mine to five tone instead of fifty to make the Minelab music more suitable to my ears.
June 18, 2018 02:25AM
I run mine with the horseshoe button activated. Technically, it's not "all metal" but more of zero disc with filters. I think it gives you a better "feel" for each target. Very similar to running a CTX in Combined mode with tone bins and break points setup.
June 18, 2018 04:40AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> I run mine with the horseshoe button activated. Technically, it's not "all metal" but more of zero
disc with filters. I think it gives you a better "feel" for each target.
-

I agree.

Zero disc is a more fitting description than all metal. The manual calls it all metal so it's hard not to call it that.

They could have easily added a true all metal that would work with each detecting mode and get a bit more depth. Maybe we'll see that in future models. I would use that a lot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2018 04:46AM by Badger in NH.
June 18, 2018 11:50PM
Badger, thanks for the heads up on using all metal for the beach. It worked great except when transitioning into the water. I wonder how the frequencies are weighted in all metal or if it depends on what search mode that it's attached to?
June 18, 2018 11:57PM
SD, continue to wonder, ML doesn’t have much of a track record for explaining stuff like that.

Rick Kempf
June 19, 2018 10:26AM
SD, I can't imagine how running zero disc/all metal would make any difference in the water. The all metal button doesn't affect the machines performance in any way. It just turns the low tones on and off.

The problems you were having in the water must have been caused by something else. Did you switch to Beach mode 2 when going from the beach to the water? Beach 1 is for the wet sand. Beach 2 is for saltwater.

And don't forget that each time you change modes, you should always re-noise cancel and re-ground balance. If entering the water, the ground balancing has to be done in the water.

Edited 15 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2018 12:31PM by Badger in NH.