Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just curious!

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Just curious!
June 18, 2018 05:41PM
What was the highest price paid for an Equinox 800?----I don't want one but just got to thinking/wondering about that.------Kind of like (only not to the extent) of the T2 when someone (or a few) found gold with it in Africa & the prices went bonkers (for awhile).
Re: Just curious!
June 18, 2018 07:32PM
$0.00 HH jim tn
June 18, 2018 07:43PM
I sold mine for something like $1175, @ fleabay, when the prices/demands were still high . People not wanting to be on waitig lists. But I recall some went for $1200 to $1300 at about that time too. Now they're down to MSRP @ un-opened or never-used. And even a tad less for "slightly used" now.
June 18, 2018 08:15PM
If you come over to this side of the Pond, you'll find plenty of dealers willing to take full RRP of 1160 US Dollars from you, and add your name to the waiting list. (that's 879 Pounds Sterling)
Near-new ones on eBay are still fetching 950 Pounds, 1250 Dollars.
June 18, 2018 08:18PM
I just got a 600 for $650. I am glad I didnt get the 800; I didnt need the extra features and I am replacing the headphones w waterproof ones. Saved $250+

One thing I would be curious about...who got the 800 but arent using the extra features? Or who got the 600 and wish they had the extra features?

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2018 08:31PM by adamBomb.
June 18, 2018 09:55PM
From what I have read on the Equinox, Minelab could have skipped the single frequencies all together. But in all honesty I really don't read that much about it anymore. It just doesn't appeal to me so I stopped reading about it. People that spent an obscene amount of money on the Equinox have to be kicking themselves in the behind. They will never admit it, but they got caught up in the hype. Research and finding new sites are free.
June 18, 2018 10:22PM
Money..It's only Money....You find that in the ground everyday!
June 18, 2018 11:05PM
Just proves yet again that Ole P.T. was right.
June 18, 2018 11:40PM
I wouldn't have paid the crazy prices that some did, but then again I got mine from Cabelas and only had to wait a week and a half to get it. I purchased the 800 and am completely happy with it's performance everywhere I've used it. To me it's as good a machine as you can get for the money. I think the problem most people are having with it is that they're not patient enough to learn how to use the Nox. Every time I take mine out to hunt I learn a little more about it's abilities. So far the only feature of the 800 that I haven't used is the WM08 wireless module, but I do have it charged and ready to use as a backup. My biggest disappointment with the machine is not being able to get the accessory coils and waterproof headphones.
June 19, 2018 12:40AM
MONEY----MONEY-----You found some MONEY Michael???????????grinning smileymascard1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Money..It's only Money....You find that in the gro
> und everyday!
June 19, 2018 01:13AM
Well----I never could get all that excited about the machine (Equinox) myself.----I think in part because of the way it was brought to market (in general)--and also because of the fact (to date) no small coil for it, which IMO it desperately needs.------I could have bought one off a guy that bought one, tried it (Equinox 800) & didn't like it. It was showroom & even with a printed out owners manual for $750 but I just wasn't interested.-----Then I see at least one guy that bought one for $1300--and I'm thinking---huh???------Maybe I wasn't too smart for passing on that deal.winking smiley------In any case, these prices are going to cool down--I think it's happening right now.-----As to performance---I'm sure it's an "ok" detector---but for the life of me--I don't see it doing anything different (or better) than the ones I already have.----------My opinion & you know what they say about opinions--they are like something else--everyones got one & are entitled to one!grinning smiley-----------Del
June 19, 2018 01:30AM
adamBomb Wrote:
> I just got a 600 for $650. I am glad I didnt get t
> he 800; I didnt need the extra features and I am r
> eplacing the headphones w waterproof ones. Saved $
> 250+
>
> One thing I would be curious about...who got the 8
> 00 but arent using the extra features? Or who got
> the 600 and wish they had the extra features?
Even though I don't have an Equinox, I would probably get the 800 for the extra features even if I never used them. Would rather have them and not use them than not have them and realize afterwards that it would be nice to have them. Not all that much extra money either. Back when I was asking about a first detector. Lots of people told me that manual ground balance is not really a big deal to have. Well, I spent the extra 80 bucks and got the model with it and after awhile was glad I did for coil size and type changes because it's needed to get the best performance from the machine. With the nox, it's only a couple hundred dollar difference, not a few thousand. That's just my opinion and don't want to start a fuss with anyone... lol
June 19, 2018 02:57AM
Del,
Ignorance is bliss as they say. "Desperately needs the 6" coil in your opinion"??? Based on what ?! Your vast experience with the 11" coil on the Nox?!

I'm not so sure that I'm even going to get the 6" coil...the 11" is that good! But hey, what do I know? I only have a couple of hundred hours on the 800.

Dean
June 19, 2018 03:52AM
I have to agree the 6" won't be much of an improvement , it still won't be as effective in modern trash at IDing nonferrous items as the CTX or Etrac. In iron it might be nice but I'd still prefer a 5 x 10.
Those bizarre ebay prices are a thing of the past. I enjoyed the experience of testing the NOX for no cost thanks to the hype. I could have made a few bucks possibly but in the event either the "economy" shaft or arm cuff had failed , I would have felt obliged to help the buyer out since it was a local re-sale , and I have serious doubts about it's Dollar Store construction.
June 19, 2018 04:14AM
bado1 Wrote:
> Del,
> Ignorance is bliss as they say. "Desperately needs
> the 6" coil in your opinion"??? Based on what ?! Y
> our vast experience with the 11" coil on the Nox?!
>
> I'm not so sure that I'm even going to get the 6
> " coil...the 11" is that good! But hey, what do I
> know? I only have a couple of hundred hours on the
> 800.
>
> Dean

Well now Mr. Dean------Based on several very experienced guys running it at Quartzsite, AZ & we agreed that it really needs a small coil (or even a mid-size coil)--especially for the irony/tin plaqued type sites some of us hunt.-----But hey, what do we know--some of us have only been swingin these silly things for 42+ years.----You're some kind of Dr. up there at Prescott aren't you?----Got a soooper idea---how about three or four of us ignorant folks driving up there this next winter & having you tutor us/educate us in the "fine art of the Equinox"??---We're in CA & AZ in the winters and I have ALWAYS wanted to learn how to run a tector!!!!!------Seriously--it's "ok" to agree to disagreewinking smiley---and I sincerely hope you enjoy your E800 (with 11" coil).smiling smiley---------BTW, did I mention it DESPERATELY needs a small coil?thumbs down-----------Del
June 19, 2018 05:07AM
It a fun machine.. but easier to tell deep coins with the Etrac.. for me... But it is hecka fun to play with...
June 19, 2018 07:21AM
It's always interesting how the people that have zero experience using one, are some of the most opinionated people out there about what it can and cannot do. It's ALMOST as comical that it's the same people that have "zero interest" in it, but yet you find them in nearly every thread about the Nox. eye rolling smiley The sad thing is if you guys weren't so stubborn, you'd be pretty amazed and happy with one if you were to give it a chance. I've been at this game a long time and have used just about everything that has came on the market. In my opinion, it's probably in the top 3 detectors I've ever used of all time, and most certainly #1 for detectors with ID that I've used.

Once the supply catches up with the demand, the prices will go to normal. We saw it happen with the .22 LR ammo scare of a few years ago. Normally, a box of 100 rnd .22s were selling for $8. During the scare period, IF you could find them anywhere, they were $40 a box, on average, and now they are back down to normal pricing and can be found everywhere for that price. New 800s have started to pop up quite regular for MAP pricing.
June 19, 2018 11:54AM
Daniel...….. If Hillary made it in...…… it would be interesting to see what LR prices would be now.
June 19, 2018 12:20PM
It may not be a winner for the dirt diggers........ but that price and warranty (even if its not out shinning the Xcals/CTX) makes it a steal for us water guys and those who wish to vacation with it. By the way .... buy the 800 and sell the WM at the ML price. The sad thing to me is ...... ML is still dragging their feet on most accessories..... i talked to a dealer about a skid plate.... still cant get one. The single features to me are great..... thou im not using them very often they are there. However this machine needs coils to compliment those unique freqs. With the amount being sold...... theres surely a market. Price to me...... is OUTSTANDING because its about 1/2 the price of a modified Xcal...... couple of heavy gold rings and its paid for. Ive already got one 49 gram gold chain.

Went on vacation recently and did a couple of park hunts........ dang i forgot how much trash is in those old places and hard that dirt is to dig in. Hats off to you guys..... id have to retrain myself lol.
June 19, 2018 12:41PM
Del,
Didn't say that you were inexperienced or ignorant. I was wondering how someone that doesn't own a particular machine, gets his information/experience vicariously through someone else about that machine, can make such bold, educated comments as to what that machine desperately needs?

You guys always have an open invite here, Del. Nice and cool in the summer. Just give me a heads up.

I'm in Quartzsite 3-4 times/winter. I swing my 4500 adding to the nugget collection. I've never swung a VLF for relics around there. Let me know when you are down there...I'll show you what that 11" coil can dowinking smiley.

Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 12:43PM by bado1.
June 19, 2018 02:19PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> It's always interesting how the people that have z
> ero experience using one, are some of the most opi
> nionated people out there about what it can and ca
> nnot do. It's ALMOST as comical that it's the same
> people that have "zero interest" in it, but yet yo
> u find them in nearly every thread about the Nox.
> eye rolling smiley The sad thing is if you guys weren't so stub
> born, you'd be pretty amazed and happy with one if
> you were to give it a chance. I've been at this g
> ame a long time and have used just about everythin
> g that has came on the market. In my opinion, it'
> s probably in the top 3 detectors I've ever used o
> f all time, and most certainly #1 for detectors wi
> th ID that I've used.
>

Daniel, I must take respectful exception to this post. Notice that anyone who does not agree with your appraisal of the machine : A) has zero interest, B ) is comical, C) merely Opinionated D) Shouldn't be on threads about the topic, E) Stubborn F) Hasn't given it a chance.

This is what's known in philosophy as "Assuming one's own point of view, as evidence of their proof for it". Ie.: As if your position is just a "given" and the starting point of the discussion. And how stupid can anyone else be to disagree ?

Minelab themselves has gone on record as saying there's going to be some hunt venues (high conductors at depth ?) that this is not meant to replace. Don't get me wrong. I had fun with it. And it out-paced the Explorer in some regards. But the tone of your post is a bit ... uh ... dismissive of anyone who doesn't give it rave reviews for every venue of hunting. And I beg to differ that those persons didn't put it through paces of testing. Might they have given it a longer shake ? SURE. But at SOME point, they (mascard & myself for example) *could* have come up with a scenario where their existing arsenal just gave more "umph" on certain targets, in certain conditions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 02:20PM by Tom_in_CA.
June 19, 2018 04:02PM
bado1 Wrote:
> Del,
> Didn't say that you were inexperienced or ignorant
> . I was wondering how someone that doesn't own a p
> articular machine, gets his information/experience
> vicariously through someone else about that machin
> e, can make such bold, educated comments as to wha
> t that machine desperately needs?
>
> You guys always have an open invite here, Del. Nic
> e and cool in the summer. Just give me a heads up.
>
> I'm in Quartzsite 3-4 times/winter. I swing my 450
> 0 adding to the nugget collection. I've never swun
> g a VLF for relics around there. Let me know when
> you are down there...I'll show you what that 11" c
> oil can dowinking smiley.
>
> Dean

Aw I know you didn't Dean--it was just my half azzed way of razzin ya.---Got it from your "ignorance is bliss" statement--I know what you meant though (I think)!smiling smiley------Let's put it this way & perhaps you will find this more "palatable".---How is it that you are so sure that the Equinox WOULDN'T benefit from a small coil??--(Other than your obvious love for the 11")-----We both know MUCH of it depends on the hunt sites, etc.--but--I can tell ya, (IMO) at most of the places/type of sites I hunt a 11" coil is too large of a coil on anything I've tried.-------I would love to get together with you next winter.---Balls, who knows--maybe you can make a "convert" out of me with your E800 & 11" coil, I try to keep an open mind.--I can tell you though--it's got its worked cut out for it to beat what I already have.---I'll just pick one--if you can beat my Fors Relic, I'm all ears!smiling smiley Do you ever get over into CA?---We winter there but get into AZ at times.--I can take you to a couple of sites in CA that you will find "quite interesting".--------Anyway, my "Just curious" (about prices) post kind of "went south".-----I didn't mean for it to turn into a shouting match guys---please accept my apologies.-------I know all of us are serious/adamant about our detectors and that's a great thing.thumbs down------------Del
June 19, 2018 04:02PM
You guys know you love them all.....Just toys for boys!!!!
June 19, 2018 04:18PM
mascard1 Wrote:
> You guys know you love them all.....Just toys for
> boys!!!!

Hey Michael---My wife just seen this & said "some of us girls fit in here to"grinning smiley She's even crazier about m.d.ing than I am!thumbs down
June 19, 2018 04:54PM
A wise man once said, "Can't we all just get along?" Okay, it may be the only wise thing he ever said. But... We seem to have gotten a bit thin skinned lately. Opinions are universal and clearly some are better rooted in reality than others, but how about we shrug off a few more before we try to restore balance to the force? I usually am here reading first thing in the morning and I am trying to drink drink it black, but I often feel like I need a little sugar after reading ping pong poop posts. I KNOW we are way better than some unnamed forums that require several more cups of joe before I can face.
Oh, that felt good. Never mind. Forget I said anything. I am okay now.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
June 19, 2018 05:15PM
PASTOM - Love it ..... “some are better rooted in reality than others”

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 19, 2018 06:37PM
Del,
That Fors Relic is tough to beat in the iron especially with that small coil. Yes, I do believe that the Nox could benefit from a smaller coil in certain situations. I'm very impressed with the separation abilities of the 11". So much so, that I'm gonna wait (weird for me) and see what the consensus is on the 6". It's all good!

Dean
June 19, 2018 09:20PM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> Daniel...….. If Hillary made it in...…… it would b
> e interesting to see what LR prices would be now.

Lol
Ain't that the truth!!!

It would have been hoarded like no tomorrow.

Back on topic.
Equinox for the loot- extraordinary detector overall.

Just remember NO VLF detector for tells the truth all the time ID wise on buried targets. Not even the Equinox's cousins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 09:23PM by tnsharpshooter.
June 19, 2018 09:39PM
Tom in CA -- You are off the mark. The opening of my post should have clued you in to who my post was directed at. Let me say it again, maybe read it slower this time so you can grasp who it was directed at, and I will even use the format you took to try and belittle my post. A. "It's always interesting how the people that have zero experience using one, are some of the most opinionated people out there about what it can and cannot do."

Did you get that this time? The people that have zero experience using one. That means the people that haven't used one, and in a lot of these cases, have never seen in one person. B. The interesting part to me is that they are the most opinionated ones about what it can and cannot do and THAT is what I find comical.

I don't have a problem with people having a different opinion as me. I'm just asking that they at least give it a try before assuming the role of the "final authority". I don't advocate buying anything before at least handling it and giving it a test run if possible. When I'm looking at buying a vehicle, you can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to take it for a test drive. The opinion of others really don't have a bearing on whether I like something or not. Too many today can't formulate their own opinions, and have to have somebody else decide things for them.

You also incorrectly assume that everybody out there is a high conductor coin hunter. Not everybody that metal detects is after high conductor coins. Believe it or not, it's a hobby with a vast range of what people seek to find. I'm more of a jewelry and relic hunter; the vast majority of targets in those niches are low to mid conductors. From what I've seen and tested and found in the field, there's not a machine to come close to what the Nox can do in those areas. If there was something better, I'd have it and not think twice about putting stuff where it "ranks" on my list. And at least in bad dirt, the Nox also has the advantage of going deeper than most all other VLF machines I've used in bad dirt. And is tops for the ones with ID. This is including the CTX and eTrac, CZ machines...all the popular machines....and in my case, goes deeper than those on low conductors AND high conductors with ID. The deal with that is, is that I'm not as closed minded as some are when it comes to this sort of stuff. I understand each area is different and I've hunted enough around the country to know what works here may not be best for over there or down there, or over yonder. Just the same if you were to come here and hunt in my neck of the woods with your Explorer, you'd probably be thinking something was wrong with it and be ready to send it in to the factory. Especially when you see that it can't pick up a silver coin past 5 inches in the ground, no matter how you set it. I go back to what I said in my original post. If some could get over their stubborn streak and give it a try, they might be surprised and end up really liking it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2018 09:44PM by Daniel Tn.
June 19, 2018 11:27PM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> .... The opening of
> my post should have clued you in to who my post wa
> s directed at. Let me say it again, maybe read it
> slower this time so you can grasp who it was direc
> ted at, ....

Well if you meant it just as a reply to just one person (who perhaps didn't even try it), ok . It sounded like it was meant towards anyone who didn't say it spanked-all-others.