Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Just curious!

Posted by D&P-OR 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Just curious!
June 19, 2018 11:44PM
I paid $800 for mine. In my moderate black dirt the Deus still beats it for picking coins out of that dirt with trash. Mostly because of a bigger VDI range. But, as we all know, the Deus cost twice as much. If I were to recommend a machine to a fresh new detectorist who planned to hunt a variety of sites, I'd be hard pressed to recommend anything but the Nox.
June 20, 2018 12:48AM
I have never tried one and never will. I don't dirt hunt and for the beach I will wait for a better option. You see I have read plenty on the Equinox in the past. Mostly beach detecting posts because after all that is what I want a detector for. Now if I spend my time reading and researching and decide I don't want to spend the money didn't I just save myself some money and aggravation? After all that is indeed why I read the posts. I more or less repost what others have said just as those that like to repost positive things others have said. As far as not using single frequencies hop on over to Findmall and read it yourself. I don't make crap up. Enjoy your detector. I choose to enjoy not having one. As far as posting about it? Feel free to have any of my posts deleted at any time. But I sure as hell will never ask permission from other members to post anything. As the old forum saying goes.......feel free to skip my posts. But just to show that I am a good guy I will refrain from commenting on this wonder stick from now on. Enjoy it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2018 12:55AM by goodmore.
June 20, 2018 07:13PM
Ph....im not crazy about the Nox.....but the price, warranty, how it swings just makes it hard to pass up as a water machine. Cheaper than a used Xcal once modified especially.... which new only has a year warranty. I cant argue that is dont miss much that the more expensive detectors do. But she is a little more work on targets to me..... so I have a machine half the price of the others.... maybe cheaper to repair and less often....it will pay for its self fast.
June 20, 2018 08:26PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never tried one and never will. I don't dir
> t hunt and for the beach I will wait for a better
> option. You see I have read plenty on the Equinox
> in the past. Mostly beach detecting posts because
> after all that is what I want a detector for. Now
> if I spend my time reading and researching and dec
> ide I don't want to spend the money didn't I just
> save myself some money and aggravation? After all
> that is indeed why I read the posts. I more or les
> s repost what others have said just as those that
> like to repost positive things others have said. A
> s far as not using single frequencies hop on over
> to Findmall and read it yourself. I don't make cra
> p up. Enjoy your detector. I choose to enjoy not h
> aving one. As far as posting about it? Feel free t
> o have any of my posts deleted at any time. But I
> sure as hell will never ask permission from other
> members to post anything. As the old forum saying
> goes.......feel free to skip my posts. But just to
> show that I am a good guy I will refrain from com
> menting on this wonder stick from now on. Enjoy i
> t.

Good post. This is the purpose of the internet after all eye rolling smiley In the old days, the only way you had to evaluate a new "mousetrap", was to try it out yourself. Or if you were lucky enough to live in an area with clubs, you could wait to see what long-time-members had to say about it.

But now, you can read a million reviews. And walk away with a fair semblance of what other machines/abilities it's repeating.

Is that 100% ? No. Because you might be reading/repeating someone's misconceptions. Perhaps they "didn't try it long enough". Perhaps they "didn't have the right settings". Blah blah blah. But at some point, yes, you can formulate an idea, based on the "million people trying it out".
June 20, 2018 09:09PM
Where I went to schule "people" was Plural--"person" was singular.

So Tom is correct in his first assumption.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2018 09:17PM by doc holiday.
June 20, 2018 10:48PM
doc holiday Wrote:
> .... in his first assumption.

Nothing is ever 100% . But if you've been at this for enough decades (seeing so many introductions). And read/heard enough hypes. And seen enough of other's reviews, then ......... you might be entitled to say "seen this before". or "been there/done that".
June 21, 2018 01:30AM
Tom & Doc -- I've been accused of many things but being inarticulate ain't one of them. I said PEOPLE and that does mean PLURAL Doc. Because there are multiple persons (PEOPLE) here (and other forums) that think they know it all about the Nox and have never used one. Never seen one in person. They admit to it. But they want to jump in and tell everybody what it can and cannot do based on what they've read.

I've been around the forums long enough to know to not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see. I've just learned to trust my gut and see for myself. There have been some detectors that people give high reviews for that flat out suck. If you ask which detector is best on social media, 8 out of 10 will say hands down, Garrett AT Pro. How many here would agree with that? I wouldn't. But if you just went by reviews and popular opinion, that's where your purchase should take you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 02:07AM by Daniel Tn.
June 21, 2018 02:55AM
Tom in his "first assumption" was correct in that the "targeted" was "people"ie; anyone who didn't agree with the poster.

I posted that "people" did include all who don't agree as opposed to a single"person".
June 21, 2018 02:56AM
Seems to be quite a few shoot the " actual" messenger 'user" here.

And seems some folks are quick to try and throw their detecting years of detecting around. Like anyone else's opinion is just hog wash.

There was a thread I started here about experience some time back.

Here's a good question for folks.

Ever notice where many of the good pro golfers live?

Where the weather is generally nicer more of the time. Hence they can practice and stay on top of their game.
[www.golf.com]
Equinox compared to many other detectors wearing stock sized coils is very good for the money.
How do we know this?

Where are all the you tube videos where the Nox is shamed when comparing?

I think folks (many) have been overly critical of Nox.
And seems some have not even held one.

I don't remember seeing (reading) where many of these same folks were as critical of other models of detectors.

I'll use what works.

So Minelab has indeed made some very good detectors in the past (according to many folks here), but the Equinox is a 'DUD'.
Don't think so.

Just remember even if you don't like the Equinox, its actual existence could drive a manufacturer (another) to indeed make a detector you actually like.

Btw, my actual IQ is somewhere between 60 and 160. Can't say exactly where though.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 03:07AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 21, 2018 03:45AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Tom & Doc -- I've been accused of many things but
> being inarticulate ain't one of them. I said PEOPL
> E and that does mean PLURAL Doc. Because there ar
> e multiple persons (PEOPLE) here (and other forums
> ) that think they know it all about the Nox and ha
> ve never used one. Never seen one in person. They
> admit to it. But they want to jump in and tell eve
> rybody what it can and cannot do based on what the
> y've read.
>
> I've been around the forums long enough to know to
> not believe anything you hear and only half of wha
> t you see. I've just learned to trust my gut and s
> ee for myself. There have been some detectors tha
> t people give high reviews for that flat out suck.
> If you ask which detector is best on social media,
> 8 out of 10 will say hands down, Garrett AT Pro. H
> ow many here would agree with that? I wouldn't.
> But if you just went by reviews and popular opinio
> n, that's where your purchase should take you.

Agreed. It's just strange to me that people will give " expert" advice on detectors, rifles, etc. that they have never used.
Along the lines of what Tom said, it works both ways. I had a guy ask me what I thought the best nugget shooting machine was for Arizona. I told him a GPX. He told me that a GPX is "too complicated". I asked him if he had ever used one and he said, " No". So, of course, I asked him why he thought it was "too complicated" since he had never used one? He responded with, " I read on the internet that they are a very complicated machine". What!?? He had, obviously, taken advise from an "internet expert" that had never used one.

If you have ever run a GPX, you know that they are very straight forward easy to run machines. Anyway, rely on advise from friends, members, and people ( in your area) that have actually used the product and can comment from experience.

Dean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 03:54AM by bado1.
June 21, 2018 04:10AM
I guess I've always just been a hands on "show me" kind of guy...always weary and a little skeptical when it comes to trusting people at their word. So with that said...I have learned to just sit back and shake my head a lot and not get involved. There's a lot I've wanted to post about the Nox but have refrained from doing so because I knew that some people were still waiting on theirs and I didn't want to rub it in their noses.

Use what you want fellas and be happy with it. Some will like the Nox and some will not. I don't see what's so hard about just moving on and enjoying something you do like, and letting the people that enjoy it, actually enjoy it. Heck, I've had a Multi Kruzer over the last few weeks and tried to give it a good chance and test it for myself instead of going by hearsay and gossip talk. I didn't like it, but you've not found me on one single forum or post bashing it, or telling other people they can't enjoy it because I didn't like it. I saw it wasn't for me and as Elsa sings, "Let it Go". My best relic hunting buddy got a Nox because he saw what I was finding with mine. He ended up not liking it, even with my settings plugged in. He felt the Deus with HF coil was a better fit for him and sold his Nox. Guess what. We are still buddies even though our opinions differ on which was best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2018 12:20PM by Daniel Tn.
June 21, 2018 11:57AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
>
> I've been around the forums long enough to know to
> not believe anything you hear and only half of wha
> t you see......

Well, ironically, this would also mean to not believe any positive points that people say about a machine too. Right ?
June 21, 2018 12:34PM
Tom_in_CA Wrote:
> Daniel Tn Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> .....
> >
> > I've been around the forums long enough to know
> to
> > not believe anything you hear and only half of w
> ha
> > t you see......
>
>
> Well, ironically, this would also mean to not beli
> eve any positive points that people say abo
> ut a machine too. Right ?

Now you're gettin' it. See my edited post above yours. That's why I have to just see for myself and not really put much stock into what people are saying, positive or negative. My list is very very short of people's opinion I put trust into. Some of them are here on this forum; this is why I hang around here and haven't left. Even still, I will have to see for myself before I make a judgement on a detector. Why? Because that's the only way I'm gonna know 100% for certain. Anything else is just based on assumption and guesses.
June 21, 2018 02:39PM
I've used an Etrac for the last five years, hunting for deep silver coins in parks and yards. I found 102 silver coins last year.

During this five year period, I've tried numerous other high end detectors. Until getting an Equinox 600, I didn't think any of them were worth the time to master as they offered no significant net advantage compared to the Etrac.

The Equinox offers better separation than the Etrac. The separation with the Equinox using the stock coil is better than the Etrac using a 6" coil. I don't typically hunt in nail beds; so, I probably won't bother to get the 6" coil.

I took the Equinox on a vacation to Florida just recently, found two silver coins. That's two silvers my Etrac never would have found because I wouldn't have attempted to bring the Etrac on the plane. The Equinox breaks down into a nice convenient size for travel, especially when you take the control box off the rod.

There are a few things I don't like about the Equinox. The ergonomics are poor, although that might be improved with an S shaft. Also, the depth meter is imprecise; however, when I get a high tone with five triangles showing on the depth meter it has always been silver.

I still consider the Etrac my primary machine; however, the Equinox is a great complement for it, making additional finds that the Etrac never could have found due to masking.
June 21, 2018 02:59PM
We have a great bunch o guys here and the psychology of who,what,where, and how about detectors is intriguing.

Back when I was working my way through school I was on a program with the Corps of Engineers where I worked 6 mo. and attended school 6 mo. One of my duties was surveying along the Mississippi River for their flood control projects. We worked 24/7 when the big draglines,15 yard buckets,were operating so I was on duty one night when the moon was full and was letting some of the laborers look at the moon through my surveying scope---well Ole Bill from Arkansas refused to look and when I pressed him as to why his response was"it ain't nothin' but a damn reflection".
June 22, 2018 12:27AM
doc holiday Wrote:
> We have a great bunch o guys here and the psycholo
> gy of who,what,where, and how about detectors is i
> ntriguing.
>
> Back when I was working my way through school I wa
> s on a program with the Corps of Engineers where I
> worked 6 mo. and attended school 6 mo. One of my d
> uties was surveying along the Mississippi River fo