Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do you ever partially uncover a find and sit back and wonder ?

Posted by Ziggy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
June 22, 2018 01:19PM
Had a few hours out yesterday with the Vista Gold Gain and digging in the rock hard ground, was running low levels of Gain but leaning more on high levels of Sensitivity due to digging down 8+ inches in this flint packed ground would be time consuming, but this Charles 1st Half Crown produced a cracking signal even with the dialled back settings from around 6 inches down.

Saw the edge of the coin whilst dusting back the soil layers after working away with the Mini Pickaxe and trowel, once I got to this point I sat back and munched on a sandwich I took with me whilst pondering what it might be.

The Pickaxe is my tool of choice in such ground like this but you just need to keep checking with the probe to make sure your not hacking away at the soil directly over the target, one wrong strike and something amazing could be damaged instantly if being careless.

A good few hours out and to see this come up on the last signal made the trip sure worth while.

It's so nice using the VGG in this kind of ground, it allows me to keep the Sensitivity high to catch the smaller stuff in the shallower levels of the soil but leave the bigger stuff for when the soil softens in the autumn.

Sure think I will try and partially to uncover finds again, was fun just thinking what it might just be smiling smiley

Re: Do you ever partially uncover a find and sit back and wonder ?
June 22, 2018 01:40PM
Fab find Zigster!

Ground not too hard my end yet but...heatwave on the way so...

Hmmm...I'm not a fan of using 'picks' - too destructive a method of recovery.
Was sent one to Field Test but after using it in woodland I couldn't tidy up and make it look neat.
It really affected my shoulder after just one recovery that took two weeks to get better!
I think the wooden handle was too long?

It's fine in the outback / desert - I used a 'Teknetics' pick while searching in The Karoo in South Africa - had to or else you just couldn't recover anything.
It worked well. Some of the guys used spades but the dust was something else!!!
June 22, 2018 01:52PM
Cheers Des, was happy to see this looking back at me.

I would never use such a digging tool on pasture but solid hard plough land it's a breeze at shallow levels, everything just brushes back into the hole and stamped down, no trace left... but only a crazy fool would take onto pasture as yes it would be far to messy indeed.
June 22, 2018 02:30PM
You've been to some nice far out places testing machines Des, always fancied a spot of gold hunting, what's it like ? What are the highs and lows ? Can't see there being much iron to deal with bar the mineralised ground.
June 23, 2018 04:06PM
Dang!!!

Crazy Good find!!

CONGRATS!!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 29, 2018 02:51PM
Thanks folks

Nope... I dig that $#it like a fat kid eating ice cream.

Nice find, congratulations.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
July 03, 2018 05:25PM
Ha ha, cheers all