Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold Ring ID help please.

Posted by Elbert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold Ring ID help please.
June 25, 2018 01:00AM
I pulled a gold ring from a tot lot today and need some help with the ID. It is identified as 18KR. I did some searching but can't identify what the R stands for. I'm thinking maybe Rose Gold but I think the ring may be Italian and the R could mean something else.

Thanks,

El
Re: Gold Ring ID help please.
June 25, 2018 03:04AM
Are you positive it's an R and not a P?

if you see the letters KP (also K.P.) after the karat number, as in 18KP.

The letter P stands for “plumb”, and the mark is read “eighteen karats plumb.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 03:06AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
June 25, 2018 03:30AM
[www.robertpalmadesigns.com]

See this link page 2.
Seems the same question asked as here as far as the letters KR.
[www.finishing.com]

[www.antique-jewelry-investor.com]

[www.askmefast.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 03:55AM by tnsharpshooter.
June 25, 2018 04:23AM
It is definitely "KP" . Thanks for the help. I'll keep searching.
June 25, 2018 04:36AM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is definitely "KP" . Thanks for the help. I'll
> keep searching.

If it’s definitely stamped “KP”

Then all it means it that it’s guaranteed to be 18 kt gold at minimum. KP = karat plumb or in other words “true” 18 kt
June 25, 2018 04:57AM
Sorry I miss typed. It is "KR"
June 25, 2018 07:43AM
El, you could take it into a jewelers to be tested, but be careful: They sometimes want to file a scratch mark onto it, in order to put their testing solution drops onto it.
June 25, 2018 05:34PM
Some info....The purity of the gold can vary slightly from 18K unless marked KP as MichiganRelicHunter. stated. The following letter of letters may be as stated below. This information taken from a Makers Mark web site.

Jeweller’s Marks

A lot of jewelry will have several stamps or marks. Often there is one stamp to indicate the purity of the gold (“14K”, as mentioned above). The purity mark can be accompanied by a second mark called a maker’s mark or a jeweller’s stamp. These are custom stamps or engravings placed in jewelry by whomever manufactured it. Sometimes they are letters or initials, and sometimes they are ornate icons (like a heart or a bell, for example). There is a huge number of unique jeweller’s marks. Matching these stamps back to the original manufacturer can be extremely difficult. Your best tool to do this is Google. There are a number of decent websites that have listings of some of the hallmarks. But be prepared, it will probably take some digging!