Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Any of you guys use a Fisher F5 before?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Any of you guys use a Fisher F5 before?
June 25, 2018 01:52AM
It has caught my attention and I am wondering what your all's thoughts are on it. It kinda reminds me of a Fisher CZ as far as the tones and user interface.I love the Fisher CZ machines but I like DD coils so I was thinking this F5 might be a good fit for me. Thanks in advance for any help you guys provide. Morgan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 01:54AM by 88junior.
Re: Any of you guys use a Fisher F5 before?
June 25, 2018 02:39AM
Fisher f5 Tips and Tricks

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
June 25, 2018 03:29AM
Wow what a place for some great information Sven. Thanks that should answer all of my questions and concerns on the F5. I think it's a sleeper machine that hasn't gotten its much needed attention.
June 25, 2018 09:53AM
There is quite a bit of info on it on Findmall, too. Those who have it seem to love it and "sleeper machine" is used a lot. HH jim tn
June 25, 2018 12:29PM
Sven1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [url=https://static.secure.website/wscfus/6268851/
> uploads/Fisher_F5_Tips___Tricks_Apr_2013_rev.pdf]F
> isher f5 Tips and Tricks[/url]

What an interesting and informative link--thanks for the effort.
June 25, 2018 01:00PM
I think most people opted for the Omega 8000. I wouldn't exactly say that the Omega is Teknetics version of the F5 but that seems to be how most people compare them. But they are similar to how the Fisher F19 and Teknetics G2+ are. I've only owned the Omega but have used the F5. IMO those machines do best with aftermarket coils on them, and you will see a decent jump in performance with the DeTech coils attached. The coils are interchangeable between the Omega and F5.
June 25, 2018 03:11PM
I had the F5 when it first came out. It has a great user interface, just didn't go that deep for me. I don't think you'll find it to be much like a CZ IMO.

Also had an Omega, great machine, decent depth, great in trash, great silver sniffer in demos, ultra light, had high hopes for the Omega 8500....
June 25, 2018 03:18PM
I have both active ground and high EMI. When I started out the ground mineral was my primary issue to deal with. Now ground mineral mitigation has been overshadowed by EMI mitigation. Speaking specifically to the F5, My EMI environment continued to worsen over time to the point where optimum settings for the sites no longer gave acceptable performance. Then Fisher introduced DST and my F5 became obsolete. End of story.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 03:20PM by Mike Hillis.
June 25, 2018 05:06PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have both active ground and high EMI. When I s
> tarted out the ground mineral was my primary issue
> to deal with. Now ground mineral mitigation has
> been overshadowed by EMI mitigation. Speaking sp
> ecifically to the F5, My EMI environment continue
> d to worsen over time to the point where optimum s
> ettings for the sites no longer gave acceptable pe
> rformance. Then Fisher introduced DST and my F5
> became obsolete. End of story.
>
> HH
> Mike

Mike----That says it all!----I wondered why you still didn't have the F-5 in your detector "line up".-----That applies to the Omega also, right?------------Del
June 25, 2018 05:57PM
Hi Del

Fisher's DST obsoletes everything, even Minelab's multi-freq noise cancelling. That is a fact.

HH
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 06:08PM by Mike Hillis.
June 25, 2018 06:13PM
I am on my 3rd Omega, a version 5, and I couldn't as for a smoother running detector. Maybe it the sites I hunt, inner-city parks, but emi has not been an issue with this one. Also just sprung for an Omega 8500, so will see how it does. HH jim tn
June 25, 2018 07:01PM
Jim,

I'll be interested to see how you take to the Omega 8500. I really liked my original Omega, did have some EMI issues at some sites, but for the most part found it to be a usable machine. It wasn't a depth demon, but great in trash and iron.

When the 8500 came out I read all the feedback, and it just didn't appear to do what I needed it to.

BTW I believe the F5 and Omega 8000 were Dave's babies, but the 8500 was Jorge's project, so they really don't share like DNA.

HH,
Brian
June 25, 2018 07:48PM
Regards Designing the F5 and Omega, here are some excerpts from some interviews....

From the interview with Jorge Saad, the F5 lead Designer....

"I’ve heard you’ve been lead Designer on the F5… is that true?
The F5 project was assigned to me. I coordinated the firmware writing efforts and wrote most of the software for it. Mr. Johnson however did all the hardware design. I tried to help (and one or two minor ideas made it to the hardware design too), but then, how do you help Dave to design a metal detector??

Who else had a “hand” in the design of the F5?
Lots of talent was pulled into in this project. John Gardiner helped with some hard routines, particularly on the Target ID engine. Dave Johnson took care of the hardware design and revisions; Mark Krieger wrote a crucial piece of firmware and also supervised the final layout stages. Marvin Jones had an expert hand in the layout process too. The mechanical package (including the shape and size of the LCD, the position of the knobs and buttons, the colors and the materials, the mechanicals of the tubes and shafts – and everything else) was the result of a coordinated effort between Engineering, Production and Marketing. While the F5 is my project, I see it as the result of a successfully
coordinated effort of many other people."

Dave's response to interview questions about the Omega 8000:

"I was responsible for many of the software concepts in all these products, but John Gardiner wrote the code for the F70 and Jorge Anton Saad wrote the code for the F5 and the Omega."

Jorge Saad wrote the software code for all three units, F5, Omega 8000 and the Omega 8500 and they all share the same basic platform.

HH
Mike

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2018 07:52PM by Mike Hillis.
June 26, 2018 02:43AM
Mike did you try a NEL coil on your F5 to see if it would help with the EMI? The cables on them have extra shielding that may have helped some with it.
June 26, 2018 04:01PM
Almost forgot, for the record......John Gardiner is the man behind DST at First Texas Products. Thank you John!!!!!!!

Junior, I didn't have any NEL coils at the time I had the F5.

HH
Mike
June 26, 2018 06:01PM
Junior, I have used the NEL Sharpshooter on the Omega and it hunts good. My favorite coil, however, for that platform is the 10" concentric. Nice, light swing, decent depth, separates great in trash and hates bottle caps......unless they are flattened and on edge. Those sound pretty good. If you are a inch your way along hunter, the 10" concentric will amaze you how good it is in trash. HH jim tn.