Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone else tried the Nox and mineralised brick test?

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone else tried the Nox and mineralised brick test?
June 26, 2018 10:55AM
I've been trying it out on some coins in field 1-2
My video didn't take right, but i've noise cancelled and GB'd, zero iron bias, recovery 5-6.
I'm not sure if i'm missing something, perhaps the way the multi freq operates doesn't work well in air, maybe it's different in ground??
I don't have loads of hours on it, so hopefully someone can set me straight.
[youtu.be]
Re: Anyone else tried the Nox and mineralised brick test?
June 26, 2018 11:27AM
The Nox 800 didn't handle my soil here in southwestern colorado where the GB phase is regularly 89 to 91 and 2 and 3 bar f75 soil. Strange thing is it did well in my test garden at depth but in the wild I never dug anything past 5 or 6 in. My test garden though now has an alkali patch seeping up in it and ground balances in the 20s.
June 26, 2018 12:46PM
I will try to get something up by this weekend.
June 26, 2018 01:05PM
Your video was kind of hard to see and harder to follow, but red fired brick is a strong target. You can ground balance it out, but you loose the ability to detect things under it.

Here’s a clip from an old post by Reg Sniff. Sadly he doesn’t post anymore.

”when they come across an old campfire they will get signals from the burnt wood. Unfortunately, this is not the case. What has happened is the intense heat from the campfire causes a transformation of the ground mineralization to maghemite which is quite detectable. Old red bricks were made using different levels of iron oxide to get the brick the red color. Test an unfired red brick and nothing, nil, nada in terms of any distinct change. However, subject that same brick to the heat used in firing that brick and suddenly that same red brick becomes a strong ground signal change. In fact, one can use an old brick to simulate some of the old positive indicating hotrocks when testing a VLF. On a PI, the signal comes through as a sudden change in the ground signal but may sound like a very large deep target response. ”

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 26, 2018 01:53PM
lytle78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your video was kind of hard to see and harder to f
> ollow, but red fired brick is a strong target. Yo
> u can ground balance it out, but you loose the abi
> lity to detect things under it.
>
> Here’s a clip from an old post by Reg Sniff. Sadl
> y he doesn’t post anymore.
>
> ”when they come across an old campf
> ire they will get signals from the burnt wood. Unf
> ortunately, this is not the case. What has happene
> d is the intense heat from the campfire causes a t
> ransformation of the ground mineralization to magh
> emite which is quite detectable. Old red bricks we
> re made using different levels of iron oxide to ge
> t the brick the red color. Test an unfired red bri
> ck and nothing, nil, nada in terms of any distinct
> change. However, subject that same brick to the he
> at used in firing that brick and suddenly that sam
> e red brick becomes a strong ground signal change.
> In fact, one can use an old brick to simulate some
> of the old positive indicating hotrocks when testi
> ng a VLF. On a PI, the signal comes through as a s
> udden change in the ground signal but may sound li
> ke a very large deep target response. ”

+1 on Reg---he was/is an excellent resource on all things PI.
July 11, 2018 02:58PM
If you have ground balanced on the brick then the detector should ring loud and clear on the Coin or what ever the target is.
July 11, 2018 03:54PM
"As Police Chief Martin Brody famously said in "Jaws", "you're gonna need a bigger boat!"

You're going to need more bricks!

The area covered by the coil should be entirely filled with mineralised brick.
Then you isolate a clear spot, lay the bricks down very tightly no gaps and start the GB process.

That's the 'conundrum' of the NOX in it's an unknown quantity as to when it is exactly ground balanced?
There isn't any audible clue that can tell you as per the 'Beep' the Racer's give! You can 'by-pass' the best setting/s as it mightn't be as clear as it could be?
The CTX does it really well and a few years ago I had a video showing exactly that. But I was using very mineralised bricks from a very difficult mineralised part of a certain European country.
'Firing' the clay creates mineralisation effect and if you have very mineralised dirt then the effect is enhanced.

After it Ground Balances you should be able to lift up the bricks and place a coin underneath and be able to detect [ thru ] the bricks and hear a signal!"
July 11, 2018 04:48PM
Thanks, I'll give it another go with more bricks.
July 11, 2018 05:03PM
Yes Des is correct the area must be bigger than the coil (by a fair amount as well) i was told this by Alain Loubet (XP) when i sent him a test of a bucket of mineralized soil with a pound coin under it that the Deus could not detect after getting a larger tub so the coil did not over hang with each sweep the Deus was able to detect the pound coin.
July 11, 2018 05:22PM
I gave it another quick go with 4 big bricks in field 2 which is the program i mostly use.
I could easily get a big Viccy penny, just about got a nickle, a silver dime and a hammered penny were called iron.
I'll give it a proper bash tomorrow, i have more bricks i could use ???????
July 11, 2018 08:11PM
Classic VLF IB detector performance. Multifreq helps some, but GB’ing to magnemite in red bricks kills depth and causes discrimination to decrease in accuracy or fail. PI machines see right through those bricks - but lack discrimination (so far).

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold