Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

6:00 am Beach/Water Hunt in the Big Lake w/Excal II grinning smiley

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
6:00 am Beach/Water Hunt in the Big Lake w/Excal II grinning smiley
July 01, 2018 03:59PM
Arrived at the waterfront at 6:00 am sharp this morning with Excal ready at the helm to be sure I was the 1st one on the scene and that played out good because within 1 hr another 2 guys showed up together with their ATP's and a 1/2 hr after that another guy showed up with his ATP too thumbs up

Was a nice 74 degrees upon arrival with a steady 8 mph S/W breeze as the sun was just breaking the eastern horizon. A bit of overcast made for an enjoyable/comfortable hunt as I've had enough of that sun already! Water temps now around 70 after a few 90 degree days for the last 3 days in a row.

I was working the cuts where the waves were breaking and cutting the shoreline in knee deep water. Waves running 2 to 4 ft so it was a bit rough to stay steady and freely swing but I didn't do too bad for the conditions. No gold today but managed a Mexico .925 Silver Band, one junker ring, a .50 cent size token from a well known/big car dealer in the area, some clad, a Ford GT and misc grinning smiley

Notice the Black Sand/magnetite patches mixed in along the shore = magnetic and makes VLF's go nuts so that's why the thumbs down on the ATP's above because I know they were struggling in that stuff! I had my Multi Kruzer out there a couple days ago and she was running chatty/falsing on that stuff unless I turned the sensitivity way down (which is why I chose the Excal for this trip) thumbs down

All targets were anywhere from around 9" to 14" +/- deep including the Silver Band = that sucker was deep/had to scoop 3xs to get ahold of it with 12" bucket on scoop and the foot of it was buried a good 3" or so deeper than it is long.

Thanks for looking/reading thumbs down

Re: 6:00 am Beach/Water Hunt in the Big Lake w/Excal II grinning smiley
July 01, 2018 06:46PM
Beautiful Grand Haven.
July 01, 2018 09:19PM
NICE Ring!!!

Congrats!!

That sand looks like it could cause some issues for sure!

Nice scenery too!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
July 01, 2018 10:32PM
Beautiful pics and good report. Thanks for effort.
July 02, 2018 01:57AM
Way to go MRH. Silver and Gold always make us smile.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
July 02, 2018 02:20AM
That top photo is great a great photo. A piece of art, looks like a painting. You should get that printed and hang it on your wall.

Nice silver.

Rick
July 02, 2018 12:54PM
Thanks guys

Gotta love Michigan in the summer/with 4 of the major Great Lakes and about 10,000 little inland lakes to hunt/enjoy when it gets too hot for dirt fishing thumbs down
July 02, 2018 06:39PM
I bet day after the 4th will be good smileys with beer
July 02, 2018 06:56PM
Ole' MRH is a Water Hunter too!
July 02, 2018 09:17PM
Nice Beach and a very nice hunt.
July 02, 2018 10:47PM
Cal_cobra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I bet day after the 4th will be good smileys with beer

Shhhhhh

Ancient Chinese secret grinning smiley

I usually hit it up as it’s one of the best days of the year to hunt out there. They do fireworks over the water and 1000s upon 1000s of people attend the event thumbs down

Sad thing is - is that this is only “1” of the many beaches along the 300 mile coastline that does fireworks so it’s pick/choose which beach you’re going to hit the day after as you can’t get to them all and 10,000 other guys have the same idea so you gotta move quick!