Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Your thoughts on a sale

Posted by SkiWhiz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Your thoughts on a sale
July 04, 2018 02:06PM
I had a detector for sale on the forums and had a fella that was interested but was concerned about him & me being protected. After the hemming & hawing I told him that I have done many transactions overs the years and I am a dealer and told him to asked on the forums about me if he wished. I am not trying to cause any friction,etc. I think the guy hasn't done alot of wheeling and dealing and was concerned, I was just wondering the best way to handle a situation like this. After I marked the detector sold this is what he had to say -

Who bought it? I know I sent you three offers to buy your Advantage via PayPal and I heard nothing. And now it is sold, wow I missed something.
I answered all your emails, you had questions about being protected with the sale, I answered that the best I could and pretty much summed it up as you doing a search on the forums in the feedback sections or ask any forum members about my honesty,etc. and I didn't hear anymore from you so I figured that you either didn't want it or didn't trust me.
Re: Your thoughts on a sale
July 04, 2018 02:15PM
Sounds like the guy snoozed and lost.

You did just fine IMO.
July 04, 2018 02:29PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like the guy snoozed and lost.
>
> You did just fine IMO.

Thanks, I try to be honest and treat people the way I want to be treated. It did end up goung to a good guy (Sven).
July 04, 2018 02:36PM
Yea I think you were okay there. Some ppl you just can't please no matter what you do. It happens.
July 04, 2018 02:49PM
yes, it is a valid way to confirm that someone's a true md'r (and thus most likely on-the-level as-per-transactions) if they have a long-list of participation on md'ing forum(s). It is very unlikely, that a thief , who wants to steal detectors, is going to go on md'ing forum discussions over a long period of time. So any time you see someone chiming in on show & tells, pro-con-tech discussions, etc.... You can bet they are a real md'r. And not likely to be a 'drive-by' thief.

The same is true of the rating system on fleabay, for example: If a person has a long list of stars showing completed transactions, then it's very likely they are a short-timer thief.

So it was valid that the person should have taken comfort , with your legitimacy, if he'd seen your long-time participation on md'ing forums.
July 04, 2018 03:40PM
Anyone in hobby knows you are one of the good guys....we all have lost playing with tire kickers and low ballers....you handled the situation well...having dealth with you myself
speak from experience...I like the snooze and you lose post...
July 04, 2018 04:00PM
Cant please everyone, Steve. Money talks and BS walks. Serious buyers dont play games.
July 04, 2018 04:27PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Cant please everyone, Steve. Money talks and BS w
> alks. Serious buyers dont play games.

Yep!----but---some of the "other kind" can about drive you nuts at times.
July 04, 2018 04:39PM
My opinion,

If the guy did his due diligence (which would have shown 100% that you are a stand up guy) and then stated he would pay via Pay Pay, then if paying via the goods and services function, he would have been protected in terms of if anything was wrong with the unit and it had to be returned/money refunded.

Like others said, can't please everyone.
July 04, 2018 05:37PM
I think you handled it properly.

I'm in almost the same situation. A buyer said he wants to purchase an item I have and would get back to me by 7/3 about when to expect the payment. I haven't heard him but will give him a few days before listing it.
July 04, 2018 05:38PM
"I had a strange E Bay experience lately!
A guy e mailed saying "I missed your auction. If you're selling another meter let me know"
I replied saying: "Yes, I have other meters and will be putting them up soon"

Guy mailed back saying "Let's deal direct...save on Fees etc"
I replied to that by saying: "No, if you want to buy it you'll have to go via E Bay. I'm not going to lose my selling rights"
(E Bay advise not to deal outside of the site if approached)

So, I put it up and it Sold within 2hrs.
Sold to a different e mail buyer name but when I contacted him he said "I used my son's computer!"

Anyway, I posted it off but didn't use Tracking and wouldn't you know it, the guy 'never received it!'
I had mailed 6 packages within two weeks ( just one was with Tracking) and everyone got their package but this guy claimed not to?

Within a week he became belligerent calling me 'a thief, a conman' and "We both know you never posted it" etc.

Had to give the guy a Refund after he 'escalated a dispute'.
E Bay sides with buyers. They don't provide an Option to provide non Trackng postal receipt information.

Never heard another word from the buyer but I did see where he had Sold another meter in Auction for a very good price while the meter really looked trashed!
My Sov meter was New Serial No. 0666

If anyone spots it down the road please let me know?

Des D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 05:41PM by Des D.
July 05, 2018 01:47AM
Steve,
You are ok. I have done a lot buying and selling detectors and it is my experience that the more hand holding a potential buyer needs the less interested i should be in selling to them.

That said, when I was just starting out and starting down the upgrade road i myself needed a warm fuzzy from the seller to do the deals. I remember asking for a forum reference for John kendrick before I would buy his DFX.

BY
Mike
July 05, 2018 05:11AM
I was under the impression PayPal safeguards both parties -

Once payment has been made and received, the seller has their money

Then the seller simply ships the item to the buyer -

I don't know what else the potential buyer had to do to purchase the product - Have I missed something?

[www.earthscan.co.nz]
July 05, 2018 05:41AM
You don't have to look far on the forums to find out Steve is a stand up guy.
July 05, 2018 09:05AM
Thanks everyone. I went back to the forum where he made the posts and clicked on his screen name and he has made a total of 3 posts and there were all on my detector sale.

Globetrotter [ Show all posts ]
Email:
Hidden
06/22/2018 11:36AM
Last Activity: 
07/01/2018 10:58PM
July 05, 2018 09:23AM
The internet is full of dishonest people. One nice thing about the forums is you learn who you can trust even though you never met the person. I have mailed things to forum members even be for I received the money. They have done the same for me. Mostly postal money orders. Almost everyone has PayPal now. Few rules to follow. Always have tracking.....Des. Never deal privately on EBay. Never. You will lose all the protection built into the system. Mail with insurance. Unless it is a very specific question about the item I am selling on EBay all private messages or offers are ignored and never replied to on EBay. If you want it bid for it.
July 05, 2018 02:00PM
I agree that you did nothing wrong.

As a seller, tire kickers and "be backs" are nothing more than time wasters. It only takes a time or two of being burned by one of them, and you learn to sell to the first person that commits to buying it. There are some classifieds/forums where they have a feedback system. One of my archery ones is like that, and they have a rule that you must go in order of the people that sent you private messages. Even if one of them is a tire kicker and you lose 3 or 4 days going back and forth with them, answering questions they have...until they say yes or no for the transaction, you can't pass them by or they can leave you negative feedback for "selling an item out from under them". It's the stupidest set of rules I think I've ran across....especially when you have other people that have said they for sure want the item and will pay right then, but you can't without risking negative feedback. This happened to me on a bow I was selling...I went back and forth with a guy for 4 days and he wouldn't say yes or no on taking it. I had two other people wanting it for sure, and so I finally got tired of waiting and sold it to the next in line guy. The tire kicker got mad when I told him the bow wasn't available any more and he notified the moderators about it. I got negative feedback and a month long time out on the forum! Part of that was my fault though because I offered to send the tire kicker a gift package with a bottle and pacifier since he was being a baby about it. He told the moderator on me, who sent me a message saying I was in time out for a week. I promptly messaged him back and said "well maybe I should send you one of those gift packages too"...that did it...a month instead of a week. Haha.
July 05, 2018 02:35PM
Like others here are saying, 95%+ of problem buyers or sellers will be people who are new to the forums or auction site. I've had a whole bunch of excellent transactions on a couple of the detecting forums, buying and selling, and the only two times I've had a bad experience was with newbies.

I know there are a number of Finds ex-pats here, some with legit complaints about the site, but one very positive thing they did a number of years ago was restrict the classifieds to those with a certain amount of time on the forum and a minimum number of posts.
July 05, 2018 03:51PM
With me being a dealer also, If I have never dealt with someone before, If I trade, they send there machine first. I send mine after. I am in business to sell not to make folk angry. Bad deals cause no business.
July 05, 2018 06:28PM
SkiWhiz Wrote:
> Thanks everyone. I went back to the forum where he
> made the posts and clicked on his screen name and
> he has made a total of 3 posts and there were all
> on my detector sale.
>
> Globetrotter [ Show all posts ]
> Email:
> Hidden
> Posts: 
> 3
> Registered: 
> 06/22/2018 11:36AM
> Last Activity: 
> 07/01/2018 10:58PM

Well then I think you got your question answered smiling smiley
July 05, 2018 06:35PM
Des D Wrote:
> "I had a strange E Bay experience lately!
> A guy e mailed saying "I missed your auction. If y
> ou're selling another meter let me know"
> I replied saying: "Yes, I have other meters and wi
> ll be putting them up soon"
>
> Guy mailed back saying "Let's deal direct...save o
> n Fees etc"
> I replied to that by saying: "No, if you want to b
> uy it you'll have to go via E Bay. I'm not going t
> o lose my selling rights"
> (E Bay advise not to deal outside of the site if a
> pproached)
>
> So, I put it up and it Sold within 2hrs.
> Sold to a different e mail buyer name but when I c
> ontacted him he said "I used my son's computer!"
>
>
> Anyway, I posted it off but didn't use Tracking an
> d wouldn't you know it, the guy 'never received it
> !'
> I had mailed 6 packages within two weeks ( just on
> e was with Tracking) and everyone got their packag
> e but this guy claimed not to?
>
> Within a week he became belligerent calling me 'a
> thief, a conman' and "We both know you never poste
> d it" etc.
>
> Had to give the guy a Refund after he 'escalated a
> dispute'.
> E Bay sides with buyers. They don't provide an Opt
> ion to provide non Trackng postal receipt informat
> ion.
>
> Never heard another word from the buyer but I did
> see where he had Sold another meter in Auction for
> a very good price while the meter really looked tr
> ashed!
> My Sov meter was New Serial No. 0666
>
> If anyone spots it down the road please let me kno
> w?
>
> Des D

Let that be a lesson to you, never ship without a tracking number. NEVER! Sorry about your loss.

tabman