Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

1883 US Cent. Thanks again to Tom and Videos

Posted by SilverPeter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
1883 US Cent. Thanks again to Tom and Videos
July 05, 2018 03:41AM
Hit a local park that dates back to the 1900's. This like many others has been swung on over the years and deep targets are hard to come by. Today's 4th Of July hunt included my girlfriend reading on a blanket, and my SE with the 11" pro coil. Not surprisingly the surface trash was present. However I just couldn't isolate the deepies that I knew must be there. I buried my test dime at 8" and was unable to hear it. Hmmm.... So I selected a new channel and sure enough, channel 9 did the trick. (But that did not resolve the issue completely)

Remembering a conversation with Tom, I bumped up the sensitivity to 25 and wham the targets started showing up. The deep targets however consisted mostly of deep iron. Yes-There is a sound signature that is characteristic to iron, I have retrieved good targets next to iron so yes, if it's deep for the area, I will absolutely dig it 2/3rd's of the time. This particular hole with the Cent did not have that wiggle in the tone that can indicate iron much of the time. Still I was skeptical that I had a decent target to dig....

14 holes dug during this stretch. Of those, one good target was retrieved. Most of course were either iron, or ghost holes, ie. I broke up the iron as I dug. This was evident as I turned over the dirt.

Lots of deep iron...

As always-Huge thanks to Tom, o'Dave and the West Coast Crew for making me the detectorist I am today. By the way - If you don't own a copy of the Inland detecting video Tom has put out, get it. I watch it several times a year to keep me sharp and it has paid for itself many times over.

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
Re: 1883 US Cent. Thanks again to Tom and Videos
July 05, 2018 12:44PM
Great find and excellent report.
July 05, 2018 04:55PM
I love Indian head penny's with a nice green patina. It has a nice full liberty and band also. Nice coin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2018 05:05PM by Harold,ILL..
July 05, 2018 06:26PM
I absolutely love the green patina on that IH. The only note I would add, is that there will be many locations/scenarios where sens. @ 25 will create chatter and instability. But in this case .... can't argue with success smiling smiley Nice pix. Nice play-by-play. thanx !
July 05, 2018 06:40PM

Tom_in_CA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I absolutely love the green patina on that IH.
> The only note I would add, is that there will be m
> any locations/scenarios where sens. @ 25 will crea
> te chatter and instability. But in this case ....
> can't argue with success smiling smiley Nice pix. Nice play
> -by-play. thanx !

Hey it's the captain of the west coast crew! Great to see your reply Tom. Sure miss you all having moved to Oregon a year and a half ago.
I joined a great club up here and already making some new detecting friends up here.
Detecting some of these parks is kind of like a "light" version of the earthquake parks in the Bay Area. Similar vintage, just not as much iron.

Hope 2017 is going great for you!!!
Peter
July 05, 2018 07:34PM
SilverPeter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I joined a great club up here and already making s
> ome new detecting friends up here.

Ahhh, ok. I heard that that club declined in membership over the past few years. You know the drill: The era of the internet has made us all lazy. Less & less people care to "get off their duffs" to attend monthly club meetings, or resolve differences, etc.... People know tend to get their socializing, interaction, pro/con tech discussions, meeting up, show & tell, etc... : All from the comfort of their easy-chair and computer. Clubs = R.I.P. But if that club's still active, great. I know one of the past presidents of that club. He moved to CA about 15-ish years ago, so we join up to hunt now and then.

Good to hear from you bro !