Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coil covers

Posted by sheds 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coil covers
July 08, 2018 01:29AM
How's every one feel about coil covers?....some of my detectors have them...I have had trouble in the past with metallic material getting in them....and their not easy to get off
It seems to me it would take an awful long time to wear the coil out with out one....what ya all think?
Re: Coil covers
July 08, 2018 02:22AM
I have never used coil covers. Just never wanted the dirt to get inside of the cover.

Rick
July 08, 2018 02:30AM
Coil covers are a gauranteed loss of depth.
July 08, 2018 08:47AM
I guess im the odd man out here then. I beach hunt and i hear a lot of people say well if you beach hunt just remove the cover. I learned fairly quickly i had to do something because i was going thru a coil cover about every 5 months. The sand just rubbed um thin and they came apart. I still use the cover but now use marine epoxy on them even. They last a year or two that way. I dare say its more pricy to wear out a coil....... an i would. As far as depth...... as you can tell i keep mine on the sand so i doubt im losing any more depth than the average hunter that swings like a golfer out there. Good coil control makes up for any loss i believe.
July 08, 2018 09:45AM
The depth loss from a coil cover is equal to the thickness of the material that it's made of.

July 08, 2018 10:20AM
Never use a coil cover and never wore a coil out and I am a grass scrubber. HH jim tn
July 08, 2018 02:16PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The depth loss from a coil cover is equal to the t
> hickness of the material that it's made of.
>
> .

I agree with your assessment Badger. Coil covers are made of inert materials, electrically speaking, so no loss of depth should occur as to signal blockage from the cover itself.

Any mineralized dirt/sand getting under the coil cover and not removed regularly CAN cause problems.

Bottom line, it's just a matter of preference, no right or wrong answer. For my purposes, it's relatively cheap protection of a device (coil) second in cost only to the detector itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 03:35PM by EMField.
July 08, 2018 03:04PM
I've worn through 2 covers in a little over 10 years on just one detector. One of my Sun Ray coils "Fz-12 Invader" could never be replaced, its not been available for many years but luckily I bought a few covers for it.
I'm absolutely never running it without a cover.
It is a pain in the arse to have to remove any coil cover and I've heard about all of the remedies to make sure you can both install and remove them such as using non-stick cooking spray, wd-40 etc etc.
I'd rather not wear through my coil when a cover solves that before it is an issue.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant
July 11, 2018 11:36AM
Coils now are pricy......... i mean look at the CTX.... ouch. The question is...... how much wear before it affects the coil? Ill pay the $30 for a cover where i can see the wear. i wear the heck out of a coil cover........ most wont notice the depth difference on or off they are more than a few inches off the ground anyway lol. Ive had a few complain about depth on their beach machines and wonder if it was the sand in the coil cover....... then i watched um swing the machine..... 9 out of 10 times it was their coil control. As a dirt hunter i never wore out a coil.... ever..... as a beach guy i do and i really have to watch the wear. With no cover or marine epoxy on the coil....... i have no doubt id wear one out in a year.
July 11, 2018 06:57PM
EMField Wrote:
> Badger in NH Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The depth loss from a coil cover is equal to the
> t
> > hickness of the material that it's made of.
> >
> > .
>
> I agree with your assessment Badger. Coil covers
> are made of inert materials, electrically speaking
> , so no loss of depth should occur as to signal bl
> ockage from the cover itself.
>
> Any mineralized dirt/sand getting under the coil c
> over and not removed regularly CAN cause problems.
>
> Bottom line, it's just a matter of preference, no
> right or wrong answer. For my purposes, it's rel
> atively cheap protection of a device (coil) second
> in cost only to the detector itself.

I believe he was referencing the loss of depth because it makes your coil that much higher off the ground vs with no coil if you scrub.
July 11, 2018 09:09PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> EMField Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Badger in NH Wrote:
> > ------------------------------------------------
> --
> > -----
> > > The depth loss from a coil cover is equal to t
> he
> > t
> > > hickness of the material that it's made of.
> > >
> > > .
> >
> > I agree with your assessment Badger. Coil cover
> s
> > are made of inert materials, electrically speaki
> ng
> > , so no loss of depth should occur as to signal
> bl
> > ockage from the cover itself.
> >
> > Any mineralized dirt/sand getting under the coil
> c
> > over and not removed regularly CAN cause problem
> s.
> >
> > Bottom line, it's just a matter of preference, n
> o
> > right or wrong answer. For my purposes, it's r
> el
> > atively cheap protection of a device (coil) seco
> nd
> > in cost only to the detector itself.
>
>
> I believe he was referencing the loss of depth bec
> ause it makes your coil that much higher off the g
> round vs with no coil if you scrub.

That's the way I understood it too. In other words virtually no depth loss with a coil cover, since they are only a few millimeters thick, at most 1/16". That's why I agreed. I merely asserted in addition, that the cover material itself doesn't impede the T/X signal in any significant way to adversely effect depth either.
July 11, 2018 11:12PM
sheds Wrote:
> How's every one feel about coil covers?....some of
> my detectors have them...I have had trouble in the
> past with metallic material getting in them....and
> their not easy to get off
> It seems to me it would take an awful long time to
> wear the coil out with out one....what ya all thin
> k?

I always use coil covers, I once hunted in a field of stubble for nearly 3 weeks 8 hours a day and halfway through the 3rd week the stubble had worn off all the pattern off of the bottom of the coil cover and rounded off all the edges so that told me that in 2 to 3 weeks a coil could be ruined without using the coil cover, Yes you have to remove them to clean out all the sand and grit but they are easier and cheaper to replace than buying a new coil every couple of weeks That's cheap insurance either way you carve it.

hope that helps.
July 12, 2018 12:13AM
Yes, that's what I meant. The coil cover itself causes no loss of depth.

I doubt that sand or dirt inside causes much of a problem either but I still remove and clean my covers every few months just in case.