Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Forum decorum

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Forum decorum
July 18, 2018 04:27PM
(non-technical non-metal detecting article)

I apologize in advance about the content of this article as it has little to do with metal detecting and would be considered "clogging up the forum". So why write it? Too much and too often we get told lies from each other simply because we are hiding behind political correctness or false civility(however that is not always the case). I have been here long enough and being an active participant of this community, that I would like to share my observations.

Recently, I have seen people go at each other's throats and most would say that behavior is "bad forum etiquette", I say that it is passionate and somewhat truthful. Speaking passionately and from the heart about something you believe in and defending it, to me, is nothing to be ashamed of whether you are right or wrong.

I have seen people defending brands as if they were the CEO of the company. To me, it's bizarre but I respect it at the same time. Then there are others that will defend a certain brand one month, then the next month an entirely different brand. So why does this happen?

Could it be a case of buyer's remorse? Where a product doesn't live up to the expectations of the customer however, they made the commitment so they are "all in".

OR

Could it be they are try to be a part of the whole experience? To be a part of a greater whole(i.e. everyone likes company A so I will too)?

OR

Could they truly believe and have so much faith in companies, that a person would defend them so passionately?

Having manners and being civil is how people want and like to be treated. While everyone here on this forum for the most part gets along, there are times when egos clash, or disputes rear the ugly(but needed?) head.

I tend to learn more about people when they blow their top so I read the disputes and don't feel put off by it. Others get so disgusted they leave the forum.

I think before we can accept ones opinion on here, we should get to know them first and when I see these passionate arguments, I learn a lot about them.
Re: Forum decorum
July 18, 2018 04:57PM
Yes mate, If the brand you prefer works for you then that's all that matters, The trouble with detectors is we all live all over the planet and what works in one place might not work elsewhere, I bought a brilliant detector back it 2005 but boy did that sucker punish me, wonderful machine but it did not like where I detect and I wasted 100s of hours try to make good finds but alas no joy,
July 18, 2018 06:17PM
I feel like I can and do filter pretty well and I prefer letting people say what they think. But I find that reading the negative and/or hostile posts just drains the life out of me and I start looking to avoid it as I am approaching 70 and while that may seem young to some here, it reminds me that life is too short to waste on some things. This is still my favorite forum, but I find myself spending more time on other ones than I used to do.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
July 18, 2018 06:36PM
Pasttom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I feel like I can and do filter pretty well and I
> prefer letting people say what they think. But I
> find that reading the negative and/or hostile post
> s just drains the life out of me
and I start looki
> ng to avoid it as I am approaching 70 and while th
> at may seem young to some here, it reminds me that
> life is too short to waste on some things. This i
> s still my favorite forum, but I find myself spend
> ing more time on other ones than I used to do.

Across many forums, many feel like this and I never understood it. Can you describe this? Is it just a figure of speech or do you feel the actual effects physically? It makes me wonder if I am that far disconnected or just more immune.

The only time I have ever had any reaction to the type word was when someone threatened another with violence and I was concerned for them.
July 18, 2018 09:31PM
Passionate people don't offend me. But when they claim x or y detector is best for everyone, well that is just not accurate. Like a previous reply, it depends on where you hunt. I think the Equinox is getting so much praise because it is as close to an all in one detector for under $1,000 that has ever been brought to the market.
I had the AT Pro for three years and for my type of hunting (parks, relics, lakes, and creeks) it was fine. Took it to the ocean beach for a week and it really did not perform well. And yes I do know how to read wet beaches and find the areas to hunt. The beach was eroding at the time and not sanded in. Another hunter with a PI machine showed me his finds and he was getting rings, and a gold bracelet. We were essentially hunting the very same 100-200 yards of beach. I guess after he saw my AT Pro he was not too concerned about me being any competition and he was right. Had I had the Equinox 800 it would have been a different outcome for me. I think.
July 18, 2018 09:57PM
There are detectors and there are detectors.....nut behind the wheel is what its all about....One wonders about some of our posters...face to face at a local meeting are they so loud and tempermental….to name some specifics....
July 18, 2018 10:42PM
In my opinion, what is happening goes beyond being passionate about a hobby or any brand/model detector. There are some members that just don't like one another and that has turned into what you are seeing play out now. It is often described as a root of bitterness, and it will spread beyond just the initial conflict between two or so individuals. It wouldn't matter at this point what the topic is about, the people are going to butt heads just because of who posted it. We used to blame it on cabin fever from the winter time for the short tempers. Now I'm not so sure. I believe some are stuck in a semi permanent cabin fever.

As Kurt says, I took a "mental health day" yesterday and made a good 10 hours worth of just detecting. Driving to various locations was part of that time. I didn't get rich but did find 3 rings and a necklace, and about $10 in recent lost clad. But I got to be outside in the sun, enjoying East TN mountain scenery and beach scenery.
July 19, 2018 01:13AM
Thanks Beyonder for the Wake-Up topic. Forums or Chat Rooms can contain all the ill affects of big social media sites. Online bullies or members comparing egos....my detector can beat your detector, ect... Where is the fun in that?? Well honestly some people love drama, love being the center of attention, love thinking they're the perfect know it all, love taking control, and/or love having the last word. For those simply looking for an answer to a question (weeding fact from fiction) can be challenging. Reality...sometimes no one here currently knows the hard facts. That's okay their is a lot more internet to search thorough. Don't get confused or bogged down, sometimes the facts have not yet come to light. Cheer up, we all have opinions. Respect each others opinions. "I think chocolate ice cream is the best flavor over all other flavors".....is my statement fact, fiction, opinion, or perhaps even an advertisement? ......learn the difference and you will gain so much from this Forum. Enough talk, lets get out and find stuff. Be safe it's hot.