Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New eqinox 800's being sold????

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
July 22, 2018 06:37PM
Makes one wonder are they a bad unit, hard to learn or have some bad ones been sold by dealers/////Hearing all the raves about the unit makes one wonder...???
Re: New eqinox 800's being sold????
July 22, 2018 06:53PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Makes one wonder are they a bad unit, hard to lear
> n or have some bad ones been sold by dealers/////H
> earing all the raves about the unit makes one wond
> er...???

I think people are not seeing as good performance as the Obsolete detectors Have, grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 07:04PM by auminesweeper.
July 22, 2018 07:58PM
They are good units and if all I could afford is just one detector I would probably still have the one I sold. It seemed to be in my soul at least good in a lot of catagories but not the best in any single catagories.
When I first got the 800 I went to my heavily hunted by me old park in my small town that I have hunted to death with my ctx, deus, cz 6a&5, f75, se pro, mxt the list goes on. I have found hundreds of silver, old nickels etc in this park.
My first 3 hunts produced nothing except some shallow clad in the 5 to 6 in range. The Nox performed well in my test garden hitting some deep coins with good tone and sound but once in the field it lacked depth on high conductors. I then took my ctx into the park to locate a deep target w8ch I found next to a large piece of iron at approximately 8.5 to 9in. The Nox wouldn't hit it in any mode which was strange cause it did well on deep coins in my garden.
On low conductors it did well on though. I decided to see if it could replace my CZ for hunting old nickels. 3 different times of marking 25 deep nickel range 12/13 targets and then crossed checked with the CZ the CZ ID on deep nickels way outperformed it calling almost all targets deep beaver tails or pull tabs or no dig at all etc.
For relic hunting the 11in coil is to big for the areas I hunt which are full of sage brush and it's performance to me wasn't as good as the Deus with the 9in Hf coil or Deeptech VGG with super 6. I may try it again though when the 6in coil comes along. My personal opinion is a great performer at a lot of things but the best at none. Good all around machine though.
July 22, 2018 08:03PM
Welgund Wrote:
> They are good units and if all I could afford is j
> ust one detector I would probably still have the o
> ne I sold. It seemed to be in my soul at least go
> od in a lot of catagories but not the best in any
> single catagories.
> When I first got the 800 I went to my heavily hunt
> ed by me old park in my small town that I have hun
> ted to death with my ctx, deus, cz 6a&5, f75, se p
> ro, mxt the list goes on. I have found hundreds o
> f silver, old nickels etc in this park.
> My first 3 hunts produced nothing except some shal
> low clad in the 5 to 6 in range. The Nox performe
> d well in my test garden hitting some deep coins w
> ith good tone and sound but once in the field it l
> acked depth on high conductors. I then took my ct
> x into the park to locate a deep target w8ch I fou
> nd next to a large piece of iron at approximately
> 8.5 to 9in. The Nox wouldn't hit it in any mode w
> hich was strange cause it did well on deep coins i
> n my garden.
> On low conductors it did well on though. I decide
> d to see if it could replace my CZ for hunting old
> nickels. 3 different times of marking 25 deep nic
> kel range 12/13 targets and then crossed checked w
> ith the CZ the CZ ID on deep nickels way outperfor
> med it calling almost all targets deep beaver tail
> s or pull tabs or no dig at all etc.
> For relic hunting the 11in coil is to big for the
> areas I hunt which are full of sage brush and it's
> performance to me wasn't as good as the Deus with
> the 9in Hf coil or Deeptech VGG with super 6. I m
> ay try it again though when the 6in coil comes alo
> ng. My personal opinion is a great performer at a
> lot of things but the best at none. Good all aro
> und machine though.

Thanks for the good honest views, I think a lot of people feel the same.
July 22, 2018 09:06PM
It's light!!!grinning smiley
July 22, 2018 09:54PM
I have been on what I would imagine would be close to 20 different hunts with 3 different people each running the Equinox , all in proverbial hammered out parks and have yet to see anyone of them have a single epiphanic moment with the Equinox as so many of the hype-sters continue to report. No doubt it works as well as others but there may be many that have realized it is just another detector and the window for getting out of them at no cost is beginning to close. When true market value begins to be determine there will be a normal supply of them available as there would be any other detector.

When the three year anniversary of their introduction approaches I suspect the flood of used Equinoxs will overwhelm the market
July 22, 2018 10:04PM
shoveler Wrote:
> I have been on what I would imagine would be close
> to 20 different hunts with 3 different people each
> running the Equinox , all in proverbial hammered o
> ut parks and have yet to see anyone of them have a
> single epiphanic moment with the Equinox as so man
> y of the hype-sters continue to report. No doubt i
> t works as well as others but there may be many th
> at have realized it is just another detector and t
> he window for getting out of them at no cost is be
> ginning to close. When true market value begins to
> be determine there will be a normal supply of them
> available as there would be any other detector.
>
> When the three year anniversary of their introduct
> ion approaches I suspect the flood of used Equinox
> s will overwhelm the market

The UK marketing hype was just BS, the only thing it has made obsolete is value for money, and that is a shame because it has the tools but they are not on the same page, As pointed out already it is good at some things but Master of none and most of the good reports are by people who don't like to admit that they bought the wrong machine. and I don't think that those thin flexible shafts are going to cut it out in the bush Prospecting, Prospectors are tough on their gear.

I hope ML can bring out tighter software I know they can do it.
July 22, 2018 10:36PM
As I have stated in other posts....Any new detector regardless of brand will not make that old site new. A few more coins? Maybe a few more silver? If you want to have success find new places to hunt.
July 22, 2018 10:40PM
goodmore Wrote:
> As I have stated in other posts....Any new detecto
> r regardless of brand will not make that old site
> new. A few more coins? Maybe a few more silver? If
> you want to have success find new places to hunt.

Amen to that, also a lot of people buy machines thinking that it will up their success rate, Sadly that is not the case, ya can't buy skills and Without the skills any detector is just another detector.
July 22, 2018 10:51PM
tons of threads speaking to it but...

Its as deep as the most expensive machines, its much much lighter (for us beach hunters), and its much cheaper (for us beach hunters). In the right conditions it may also be able to find smaller gold, like chains. So the hype is justified if you are a beach hunter. Is it the end all be all? Nope. But its a great option right now.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 22, 2018 11:01PM
adamBomb Wrote:
> tons of threads speaking to it but...
>
> Its as deep as the most expensive machines, its mu
> ch much lighter (for us beach hunters), and its mu
> ch cheaper (for us beach hunters). In the right co
> nditions it may also be able to find smaller gold,
> like chains. So the hype is justified if you are a
> beach hunter. Is it the end all be all? Nope. But
> its a great option right now.

I would rather use a DF or a CZ or a PI Machine, and the new Whites TDI Beach Hunter looks like the way to go.
July 23, 2018 12:05AM
I had an 800 and 600. After lengthy comparison between the two, I did sell my 800 while they were still demanding a higher price. Performance wise, I couldn't tell a difference between the 800 and 600 in most all instances. I bought a pair of the Miccus wireless headphones and a pair of the yellow underwater headphones and I am very content with it. I'm not all that interested in the 6 inch coil offering...I would be more interested in an 8 or 9 inch offering for freshwater hunting, and for sure am going to pick up the larger coil when it is available (am hearing a time range of the fall).

I could afford any detector on the market today and have tried them all excluding some of the specialty machines like the GPZ or Gold Monster. The cost of them is really of no concern to me. If I want it, I will get it, especially if I believe it will put more goodies in my pouch at the end of the hunt. I couldn't care less about what manufacturers label is on it; if it puts more goodies in the pouch, then I will be swinging it. For me right now, the Nox has checked all the boxes and is a keeper in my stable. In fact it's the only one in my stable right now. If I thought a CTX was better, I would have a CTX. If I thought a Multi Kruzer was better, I would have kept it and sold the Nox. It's that simple. The difference with me is that I'm not a dealer trying to sell you a machine. I'm not a poster boy trying to sell war bonds for any particular company either. I'm just a guy that likes detecting and will use the machine I feel gives me the opportunity and ability to find the most finds in a given site. What sucks about the whole thing is that most of the time, new detector offerings make me go "meh". But when I run across one that gets me fired up and is making a difference, and gets me excited....it gets shot down by people saying it's just hype. So at the end of the day, it makes me hunt more and post less.
July 23, 2018 12:06AM
auminesweeper Wrote:

> I would rather use a DF or a CZ or a PI Machine, a
> nd the new Whites TDI Beach Hunter looks like the
> way to go.

Cant really use a PI around me unless you want to dig tiny pieces of fish hook all day. Now if fishers new PI discs iron it will be a game changer. CZ21 is an awesome machine but the weight difference compared to the nox is a huge disadvantage.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 23, 2018 12:11AM
goodmore Wrote:
> As I have stated in other posts....Any new detecto
> r regardless of brand will not make that old site
> new. A few more coins? Maybe a few more silver? If
> you want to have success find new places to hunt.

thumbs down
July 23, 2018 12:13AM
adamBomb Wrote:
> auminesweeper Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I would rather use a DF or a CZ or a PI Machine,
> a
> > nd the new Whites TDI Beach Hunter looks like th
> e
> > way to go.
>
>
> Cant really use a PI around me unless you want to
> dig tiny pieces of fish hook all day. Now if fishe
> rs new PI discs iron it will be a game changer. CZ
> 21 is an awesome machine but the weight difference
> compared to the nox is a huge disadvantage.

Well you can cheat with the TDI's or the New one they are going to release soon just by picking hi or low conductors and also by shifting the GB so you can cherry pick the items you want to go after.
July 23, 2018 01:09AM
Quite simply PLEASE sell your Nox's smiling smiley In my opinion, the majority of the ones who used it and sold it, didn't know how to use a detector in the first place. The experiences I am having with it are nothing short of unbelievable. My last hunt I went to a closed down school that was hit to death so much so that conductive junk is hard to find. I walked away with a 1941 wheatie at about 10 inches plus, a 10 kt roll gold ring, a silver chain earring(circa 1990's) and a 1939 New York world fair ring(in great shape).
July 23, 2018 01:38AM
Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> Quite simply PLEASE sell your Nox's smiling smiley In my opini
> on, the majority of the ones who used it and sold
> it, didn't know how to use a detector in the first
> place. The experiences I am having with it are not
> hing short of unbelievable. My last hunt I went to
> a closed down school that was hit to death so much
> so that conductive junk is hard to find. I walked
> away with a 1941 wheatie at about 10 inches plus,
> a 10 kt roll gold ring, a silver chain earring(cir
> ca 1990's) and a 1939 New York world fair ring(in
> great shape).

Well someone in Australia found a Gold Nugget with it using the 11" Coil so it must be able to do the deed.
July 23, 2018 10:38AM
I can't understand why people expected the Equinox 800 to be some sort of super detector. Minelab never claimed that it had fantastic depth or performance. It's good but not superior to everything out there.

It has about the same depth as the E-Trac or CTX but it still can't beat a CZ21 on the beach or T2/F75 for depth on relics. What makes it desirable is that it's light weight, waterproof and affordable. Plus it can do coin, relic, beach and prospecting with reasonably good performance and recovery speed all in one machine. That's why I bought it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 04:23PM by Badger in NH.
July 23, 2018 04:05PM
I'm luckier than some, I have a Deus, an EQ800,and a CTX. I am not near salt water or highly mineralized ground. For general hunting and especially high trash areas I use the Deus. For some general hunting, and for what little freshwater hunting I plan to do the Eq800 will add variety (and I don't trust the CTX in water). For those special sites that have promise of rare goodies - the CTX (when you absolutely positively HAVE to get the good stuff).

BTW, all three machines have found stuff in areas previously hunted by the other two. When they say "nobody gets it all" they're talking about you and me.
July 23, 2018 05:40PM
Boy the Equinox is getting a lot of love around here. Its a jam up detector for what I do and works well with my Deus in different relic situations. Its a very deep machine in my soil. Vista gold gain deep, Deus deep ,and Ctx deep. This is probably the most love to be hated machine ive seen. All the guys trying to write it off as the same ole same ole, WELL in three years we need to bring this thread back to life.

Boy it amazes me at all the love the Vista, Mackro , and fisher detectors get around here. I kinda get the feeling we have some paid fanboys on here promoting those detectors and really BRINGING THE HYPE with those detectors.. It will be interesting to see where those models are in 3 years...lol
July 23, 2018 07:00PM
Well,
I am a realist.
Not a fan boy for any manufacturer.

Are folks paying attention?
Notice anything lately?

What is Xp up to with this new version and coil??
Reckon Xp has took a hit in sales due to Equinox?

Highly likely.

Does anyone not think Xp and its personal hasn’t put the Nox 800 through its paces?

If they did here is what they found.
Nox runner can hunt right behind Deus user running LF coils (any size and make nonferrous finds the Deus runner walks right by.)
I know this because I have heavily compared.

So for more intense separation and unmasking a Deus runner would need Hf coil. But Hf coil not ideally suited for cherry picking or higher conductive coin hunting due to frequency used and no VDI normalization capability. Plus Xp doesn’t give away -they cost quite a bit.
Enter Xp Deus version 5 and the new coils.
Don’t forget the new feature set seems is added to the actual headphone models with versions 5, and Deus Deus lite is priced in line with Equinox.
These I think willl overall be more competitive all around against Equinox.

Last here.
I wonder sometimes what would have been said about Equinox if it were indeed a bummer performing detector, leaked like a sieve or had more than it’s fair share of breakdowns, and or repair time for broken units was several days to weeks or months to get remedied.

Some folks here and eslsewhere crack me up.
Some of these same folks have sold their souls to the devil though, meaning I don’t forget what folks say.
So be careful and don’t let me catch you being a hippocrit.
I heavily dislike hippocrits.

There are many nice detectors available for folks today to utilize.
The entire industry has seen great changes in the last 7 year’s roughly.

The mindset used back when won’t work today for manufacturers.

Folks can talk about their detectors, their experiences without making negative comments about another model or another manufacturer.

So rather than folks say this or that about which detector is best, better, or junk, if we will keep an eye on the different manufacturers and see what they bring, this many times will reflect a weakness of some sort somewhere with an already offered product.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 07:13PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 23, 2018 07:41PM
Picked up my 800 the last half of March. Had been waiting since September 21st. Still have it. I like it to this point. I retain the right to change my mind.

It fills in that All-Weather / Shallow Water (inland fresh water for me) Detector gap that I had in my group of detectors at a reasonable price. I chose it over the Garrett AT Pro / AT Max and the White's MX Sport. Still have my Etrac. Still have my Racer 2, CoRe and a couple others. I have a few different detectors for different purposes. I didn't expect the 800 to replace what I had, but to compliment what I had. So far, so good.

But like somebody mentioned above, time will tell. A detector earns its' keep. If it finds stuff, most of us will keep it. If it doesn't, they get rotated out of use and usually sold off.

Rich (Utah)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one more good target before I go.
July 23, 2018 08:01PM
Gonebeepin' Wrote:
> Picked up my 800 the last half of March. Had been
> waiting since September 21st. Still have it. I li
> ke it to this point. I retain the right to change
> my mind.
>
> It fills in that All-Weather / Shallow Water (inla
> nd fresh water for me) Detector gap that I had in
> my group of detectors at a reasonable price. I ch
> ose it over the Garrett AT Pro / AT Max and the Wh
> ite's MX Sport. Still have my Etrac. Still have m
> y Racer 2, CoRe and a couple others. I have a few
> different detectors for different purposes. I didn
> 't expect the 800 to replace what I had, but to co
> mpliment what I had. So far, so good.
>
> But like somebody mentioned above, time will tell.
> A detector earns its' keep. If it finds stuff, mos
> t of us will keep it. If it doesn't, they get rota
> ted out of use and usually sold off.
>
>
> Rich (Utah)

Yep that a good way of thinking, It is a damn good prospecting machine that's for sure.
July 23, 2018 08:14PM
The Minielab-generated hype surrounding the introduction of the Nox was quite successful; but, an unfortunate reality is that no machine could live up to that hype, including the Nox. Let's face it, for over two decades, we've had VLF machines that are performing just about as well as VLF technology allows. The Nox adds a few wrinkles to ML's multifrequency approach, but it is still a VLF machine.

That said, the Nox is worth having in one's arsenal--light, fast, bright, waterproof, wireless, and in many situations can match or beat much more expensive machines. Having used it for about five months, now, I can say what I said my first week: it won't replace my Etrac for coin hunting in most places (no surprise--ML said from the beginning its FBS machines were better at deep silver), but because of its superior separation and unmasking abilities, it can find coins in some areas of high old iron trash (rusty nails and the like) that the Etrac doesn't see. I don't find the Nox's ID and depth numbers nearly as accurate as those of the Etrac (although some may dispute this), but it sure does have a more readable LCD panel--night and day (I can't understand why ML puts such a poor LCD panel on the Etrac). I find the Nox at least as deep as the Etrac and my other machines (coils, soil and settings make it hard to generalize, and I have not done scientific studies). I have not found the Nox's shaft to be a problem.

Some minor software bugs have come to light, but they will hopefully be fixed in a firmware update.
July 23, 2018 08:25PM
Dubious Wrote:
> The Minielab-generated hype surrounding the introd
> uction of the Nox was quite successful; but, an un
> fortunate reality is that no machine could live up
> to that hype, including the Nox. Let's face it, fo
> r over two decades, we've had VLF machines that ar
> e performing just about as well as VLF technology
> allows. The Nox adds a few wrinkles to ML's multif
> requency approach, but it is still a VLF machine.
>
> That said, the Nox is worth having in one's arsena
> l--light, fast, bright, waterproof, wireless, and
> in many situations can match or beat much more exp
> ensive machines. Having used it for about five mon
> ths, now, I can say what I said my first week: it
> won't replace my Etrac for coin hunting in most pl
> aces (no surprise--ML said from the beginning its
> FBS machines were better at deep silver), but beca
> use of its superior separation and unmasking abili
> ties, it can find coins in some areas of high old
> iron trash (rusty nails and the like) that the Etr
> ac doesn't see. I don't find the Nox's ID and dept
> h numbers nearly as accurate as those of the Etrac
> (although some may dispute this), but it sure does
> have a more readable LCD panel--night and day (I c
> an't understand why ML puts such a poor LCD panel
> on the Etrac). I find the Nox at least as deep as
> the Etrac and my other machines (coils, soil and s
> ettings make it hard to generalize, and I have not
> done scientific studies). I have not found the Nox
> 's shaft to be a problem.
>
> Some minor software bugs have come to light, but t
> hey will hopefully be fixed in a firmware update.

Thanks, that is a fair report and honest report, well done and thanks for posting.
July 23, 2018 09:13PM
It took me a few weeks at first to like the Nox, but it surprises me on most outings with what it finds.
In comparison to other recent releases, i could pickup a 2nd hand Kruzer much easier than a Nox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2018 09:21PM by ghound.
July 23, 2018 09:40PM
Hunting old spots has a diminishing return. That's that. Unless it's mineralized ground. Then something different than a vlf will open eyes.
July 23, 2018 10:05PM
Digger70pa Wrote:
> Hunting old spots has a diminishing return. That's
> that. Unless it's mineralized ground. Then somethi
> ng different than a vlf will open eyes.

That's me in a nutshell right there. Most ID machines in my ground are useless beyond say 5 inches, UNLESS you utilize them as a beep/dig machine in discriminate mode, which throws the ID out the window. OR you use them in all metal mode and dig all. If you do the disc mode beep/dig and ignore ID you can reach the 8 inch mark or so on coins with most all VLF machines equipped with a 10 inch or larger coil. You can go a touch deeper by doing it the all metal way. Along comes the Equinox and now I can run disc mode AND utilize the target ID to get me to the 9 to 10 inch mark on coins. That is a big gain in my book. The fellas that hunt in mild or low mineral ground most of the time just don't understand this. This is how I had originally envisioned the Explorer/eTrac to opening up places over other machines. For whatever reason, this dirt shuts down those machines just like the others so I never really saw any big advantage with them. It's nice getting a 25 number high tone, cutting a plug as deep as my digger blade, and the target still be down in the hole pinpointer deep and out comes a silver coin. I'm not use to seeing that, although I know some of you guys do on regular basis.
July 24, 2018 09:22PM
When the Nox hype ends, we can get are detecting forums back. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 10:39PM by Rob in (ca).
July 24, 2018 09:48PM
Welgund Wrote:
> ... but once in the field it l
> acked depth on high conductors. I then took my ct
> x into the park to locate a deep target w8ch I fou
> nd next to a large piece of iron at approximately
> 8.5 to 9in. The Nox wouldn't hit it in any mode ....

This was my experience too. I also flagged a deep whisper that I was getting with my Exp. II. That I suspected could be a deep penny/dime. Turned out to be a teens wheatie at something like 8" (soil is funky in this location). The Nox 800 couldn't get a peep off of it, despite trying various settings.

HOWEVER, did you try slowing down your recovery speed ? On most machines, recovery speed doesn't seem to rob you of much depth (you just have to listen harder for the faster beeps). But on the Nox, it does indeed seem to make a depth difference. Naturally, by slowing it down, there's the inherent drawback of less target separation. Doh! Nonetheless, I'd recommend you try this on your next flagged in-situ test. See if you get the added depth. That's one test I didn't get to do before selling mine.