Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

test gardens and detector comparisions.

Posted by calabash digger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
test gardens and detector comparisions.
July 22, 2018 10:51PM
Talking about the importance of them.test gardens
Re: test gardens and detector comparisions.
July 22, 2018 11:18PM
Ole' Calabash!
July 22, 2018 11:26PM
calabash digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Talking about the importance of them.[url=https://
> youtu.be/8cjQnrzRC64]test gardens[/url]

WTG, Excellent Video and very true, thanks for posting your video,

I moved to a place in the city and the ground is wet sticky clay that is full of Iron bomb fragments from WWII and any coil bigger than a 6x4 is useless, I can't move the coil more than 1/2 an inch without hitting 2 or more targets, The wet clay layer is about 5 to 6 inches below the soil after that ya stuffed, you won't hit a Quarter deeper than about 9" with a standard coil because the clay is so Dense, The mineralization is only in the mid 60s to 70's yet my hunting sites are normal farmland and I get monster depth there, BUT ??

Thinking about what you said about using your deepest detector at your test site is a good Idea because that might give you the edge at your hunting sites.

Well done, they are some good points you bring up,

Thanks for posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2018 11:27PM by auminesweeper.
July 23, 2018 01:05AM
Thanks , I like to talk detectors and im always learning too. Love this hobby!
July 23, 2018 01:13AM
calabash digger Wrote:
> Thanks , I like to talk detectors and im always le
> arning too. Love this hobby!

My only regret is that I can't build a test garden due to WWII, I would get less signals under the hood of a Kenwoth, lol.

and under one area I found the Tunnel supports for the subway trains that are about 6 to 8 feet deep and I found them with a PI, those structures are about 30 feet across and I had to raise the coil head height to stop the detector from seeing them.
July 23, 2018 01:23AM
WOW!
July 23, 2018 11:11PM
I built my test garden about twelve years ago. It's the first place I take any new detector.

Three silver dimes at 10", 11" and 12".

Three silver quarters at 13", 14" and 15".

The T2, F75 and Vista Gold get all six coins.

I was a little disappointed when the EQX 800 could not go any deeper than the 10" dime in Park and Field but felt better when I discovered that Gold mode could get all six.

Gold 1 is my go to mode for detecting hunted out sites. I might never have bothered using Gold mode if I didn't have the test garden to prove what it's capable of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 11:21AM by Badger in NH.
July 23, 2018 11:35PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> I built my test garden about twelve years ago. It'
> s the first place I take any new detector.
>
> Three silver dimes at 10", 11" and 12".
>
> Three silver quarters at 13", 14" and 15".
>
> The T2, F75 and Vista Gold get all six coins.
>
> I was a little disappointed when the EQX 800 could
> not go any deeper than the 10" dime in Park and Fi
> eld but felt better when I discovered that Gold 1
> could get all six.
>
> Gold 1 is my go to mode for detecting hunted out s
> ites. I might never have bothered using Gold mode
> if I didn't have the test garden to prove what it'
> s capable of.
>
> .

My gracious!----You must have some SWEET ground!-----I can't get anywhere near that in this gold country mineralized ground where I live.----I have an older extensive test garden also.---Like you, that's the first place I head for after receiving a new detector.----Well---I "might" read the owners manual first!winking smiley---------Del
July 24, 2018 12:18PM
I would like to build one. My issue is that I hunt at the beach and my yard is a mixture of soil, sand, and clay about 1.5 miles inland...so its too different and I am not sure its going to provide me with great info...maybe I just need to take some sand from the beach; I probably have enough in my car each time I take the kids to the beachspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 24, 2018 05:10PM
adamBomb Wrote:
> I would like to build one. My issue is that I hunt
> at the beach and my yard is a mixture of soil, san
> d, and clay about 1.5 miles inland...so its too di
> fferent and I am not sure its going to provide me
> with great info...maybe I just need to take some s
> and from the beach; I probably have enough in my c
> ar each time I take the kids to the beachspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It's easy to test target depth at the beach. I use gold and silver rings attached to tape measures. The soft retractable kind that seamstresses use. They cost about $1.50 at Walmart.

Another way is to attach coins or rings to the end of sticks cut to different lengths.

If you deal with a lot of iron, you can lay pieces of iron over or near where the target is buried to see how well the detector separates ferrous from non ferrous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 05:12PM by Badger in NH.
July 24, 2018 07:55PM
Badger in NH Wrote:
> adamBomb Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would like to build one. My issue is that I hu
> nt
> > at the beach and my yard is a mixture of soil, s
> an
> > d, and clay about 1.5 miles inland...so its too
> di
> > fferent and I am not sure its going to provide m
> e
> > with great info...maybe I just need to take some
> s
> > and from the beach; I probably have enough in my
> c
> > ar each time I take the kids to the beachspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
>
>
> It's easy to test target depth at the beach. I use
> gold and silver rings attached to tape measures. T
> he soft retractable kind that seamstresses use. Th
> ey cost about $1.50 at Walmart.
>
> Another way is to attach coins or rings to the end
> of sticks cut to different lengths.
>
> If you deal with a lot of iron, you can lay pieces
> of iron over or near where the target is buried to
> see how well the detector separates ferrous from n
> on ferrous.
>
> .

I always say I am going to do that but then I get there, get anxious that I am cutting into my dig time (usually only have about 2 hrs before its too hot and too crowded) so I end up never getting it done! Maybe tomorrow if it doesn't rain again.

Nox600, CTX, CZ21, Excal II and White's DF with 920i stealthscoop...I live and hunt at the beach in Wilm NCsmiling smiley
July 24, 2018 08:31PM
I found almost the same results on testing 3 ringers. I have several calibers of three ringers to test with. Someone on this or other forum suggested I take what ever target I was looking for actually out to the site that I will be hunting and bury them 8 to 10 inches or so deep. And then see which mode on the 800 gave the best signal on the buried targets. Then use those settings on the hunt. Makes sense. Guess what, gold1 and gold2 beat all of the other 800 modes. gave a much stronger signal and tight 16-17 reading on the bullets. I would have never guessed that gold1 and gold2 would be the best. But beach hunters know that if you find lead sinkers you are apt to find gold jewelry if any is present. I buried one three ringer about the depth of the minelab P35 pinpointer.
July 25, 2018 12:23AM
Good video for once Calabash.... kidding... all of your videos have been good.
I'm glad you kept it real and kept clear distinction between soil conditions being a variable while testing and fan boys who get their coil puckered up and defend the detector they own.
Everything you've been doing has been very informative useful information and I thank you.

Up to my ____ in Pulltabs, Grant