Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Equinox and coke.

Posted by ghound 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Equinox and coke.
July 24, 2018 08:36AM
As some of my fields are full coke i was excited when i saw one of the ML testers show the Nox hitting a coin with coke on top, and i read the ML treasure talk section about coke and it said this,

Quote,
Newcomers to detecting will be interested to learn that coke does mask good targets when they are located under or beside it. You will simply hear the coke noise and not the good target. The masking of targets, when combined with the ongoing concentration-destroying signal responses you get from coke, leads to massive frustration when using single-frequency detectors. You tend to register the sound and TID numbers as coke and move on without digging, but not when you use the EQUINOX.

This is mainly true in field 1, but i like many in the UK run field 2, and it defo does mask coins below if there's a gap between them.
So just making folk aware so as they know what mode to use/not use in coke.

Here's a vid of the result i got, [youtu.be]
Re: Equinox and coke.
July 24, 2018 02:50PM
That looks a bit odd, I thought coke gave a signal like a hot rock ? Have you tried it where people have been lighting camp fires or burning junk etc ?
July 24, 2018 03:04PM
THAT is the kind of video and stuff I like seeing.

There is stuff going on in those different modes other than just factory preset disc patterns, etc. Your video shows a good example of that very thing. Right now, everybody is dealing with a totally new offering...we can kinda compare it to this or that, but truthfully, we are all having to learn it from scratch. There aren't any field guide books to go by on it to shorten the learning curve like there are for people that may jump into an eTrac/CTX, Excal/Sovereign, or even the Deus. I'm hoping there will eventually be such a resource, maybe put out by Andy like he has done with the other detectors. But there might not be, and all we have now is trial and error, and discussions like this to grow our knowledge base.

I may have stumbled onto a similar finding between the modes for freshwater beach hunting. I'm going to go do some more hunting and swapping modes this week to see for sure though.
July 24, 2018 03:11PM
Ghound,
THANKS for sharing.

I need to say something here.
I was talking long distance a few days ago with a fellow detectorists.
Ghound your name came up and for good reason. And it wouldn’t I that brought your name up. And this person was giving kudos to you too.

I want you to know I highly value your post.

They provide worthy info in my book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 03:12PM by tnsharpshooter.
July 24, 2018 03:25PM
"I like 'dem boots!!!

Good video! No commentary??? Come on...speak...

I don't remember digging any 'coke' with my E600 and one of my test fields has loads of it! I was in Field 2 mostly on that site!

Are you saying [ we should be in F1 so?"
July 24, 2018 03:53PM
Thanks folks, coke generally reads a TID of 1-2, the coin i used has a TID of 11.
In this simple test the coin is about 4" deep with the coke an inch or so above it. In field 2 you just get the coke TID which is 1-2 and the odd 3 thrown in, but in field 1 you get the perfect tone and TID of 11, which is the silver coin below, it's as if it see's right through the coke.
There's defo alot more going on between the different modes, i'm just trying to work the Nox out as i go along.
July 24, 2018 04:00PM
Just curious-----How did it do on that test in Park 1?
July 24, 2018 04:10PM
I'm not sure, I'll run it again in the 4 modes.

D&P-OR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just curious-----How did it do on that test in Par
> k 1?
July 24, 2018 04:23PM
Cheers Tnss, i enjoy reading your views on detectors also.

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Ghound,
> THANKS for sharing.
>
> I need to say something here.
> I was talking long distance a few days ago with a
> fellow detectorists.
> Ghound your name came up and for good reason. And
> it wouldn’t I that brought your name up. And this
> person was giving kudos to you too.
>
> I want you to know I highly value your post.
>
> They provide worthy info in my book.
July 24, 2018 04:25PM
British army issue, made by Haix which i think may be German, brill for our weather being gortex lined Des.

Des D Wrote:
> "I like 'dem boots!!!
July 24, 2018 05:31PM
Here you go, remember in an air test the coke ID is 1, and the silver coin ID is 11.

[youtu.be]

D&P-OR Wrote:
> Just curious-----How did it do on that test in Par
> k 1?
July 24, 2018 06:52PM
ghound Wrote:
> Here you go, remember in an air test the coke ID i
> s 1, and the silver coin ID is 11.
>
> [youtu.be]
>
>
> D&P-OR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just curious-----How did it do on that test in P
> ar
> > k 1?

Very interesting & thank you for posting it.-----It looks like for that test at least that Park 1 gave the same results as Field 1.
July 24, 2018 07:05PM
"Thanks for doing the 'expose' ghound!

More Questions than Answers? But, is there an answer in the heavier type below?

So, I spent 3-4 days on a site and I might have been in the wrong Mode? Field 2? There is 'coke' in abundance and the occasional 'heavier hot rock'

I did X compare on-site but I went on what the 'blurb instruction manual' stated:

"Field 2 suits locations with high target and trash
densities. It will better detect small hammered coins on their edge or at greater depth. The default discrimination pattern is set to reject Target IDs 1 and 2 (most coke signals)

"Coke is the charcoal and carbon by-product of burnt coal, and is prevalent around historically populated areas.
Generally coke has a Target ID of 1 or 2. For this reason it is rejected by default in Field Mode. Note, this could result in some small non-ferrous targets being missed.
Field 1 Multi-IQ, even with Target IDs 1 and 2 accepted, will reject more coke more than Field 2 using Multi-IQ.

Still, it doesn't matter to me at this juncture because it'll be months before the ground is soft enough to dig!
Maybe some more proper information and answers will have been put forward by the fall?"
July 25, 2018 09:50AM
No. I have replayed the time in my good site that contains 'hot rocks' and am satisfied that Field 2 was as good as I could have got (have gone thru my Notes and Field Reports from the days)

I had searched the same fields with three different machines prior to using the Nox 6 there. It got to the point that I would have investigated [ any signal ] because actual signals were scarce! Back in October last Yes, I did dig a couple of 'hot rocks' using a Deus. (I keep these and use them for 'air testing' - gather up enough of them and you can use them to simulate bad ground)

I "heard" a lot of ferrous signals: they either 'broke up' and/or 'disappeared' on second sweeps!

I was deliberately chasing 'low conductors' and had I "heard" such a low Ferrous response with TID's of 1 or 2 , these would have been investigated? I did hear some 'strange sounds' with weird numbers that were small lengths of wire...

The lowest TID from a target was with a Low Medium tone 4: a ragged piece of aluminum, finger nail size.

I'm happy no hot rocks were "heard" and I didn't miss anything beneath one!

CAVEAT EMPTOR: Yes. Thanks to ghound I'll be watching for this in future.

However, there must be some Trade Off between how all the BBS and FBS detectors "ignore" a lot of coke! Just nulls out and doesn't detect...and how the Nox is set up with a preset GB 0 and a lot of mentions about coke in the Manual?
Coke hasn't received meritous mention in previous manuals?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2018 10:02AM by Des D.
July 25, 2018 10:59AM
That's the thing Des, if a person is just using field 2, park 2, and were ignoring/interpreting TID readings of 1-2 as coke, they may be missing non ferrous being masked. But if they cross checked these TID's using field 1, park1, and got no response-then it's probably small coke, or if a response-big coke or a non ferrous target.
And as you can see in the video, the masked target can easily be a silver coin.
It would be interesting to try the same with some hot rocks?
Yesterday i dug a very low conductor in field2, it read a jumpy TID of 1-2-3, which could be small coke, so i done as above and it gave a response in field 1, it was a very small worn button worth nout, though it could of been a tiny gold target, but had i not checked in field 1 i might have just taken it as coke.
I've a vid of it but it's a bit boring, but impressive also that it could hit on it at about 4" lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2018 11:02AM by ghound.
July 25, 2018 01:20PM
ghound Wrote:
>
> Yesterday i dug a very low conductor in field2, it
> read a jumpy TID of 1-2-3, which could be small co
> ke, so i done as above and it gave a response in f
> ield 1, it was a very small worn button worth nout
> , though it could of been a tiny gold target, but
> had i not checked in field 1 i might have just tak
> en it as coke.
> I've a vid of it but it's a bit boring, but impres
> sive also that it could hit on it at about 4" lol

"I understand perfectly well why such a simple find excited you!

The following are similar experiences:

"The other field (same as yesterday) produced nothing either except for a few non ferrous items.
There was ONE tiny copper washer found, measuring 13mm in diameter.
This 'sounded' just the same as that copper coin I found yesterday, even lodged in the top right hand side on the cross hairs.
The thing is, its only a washer but, it could have been an ancient Celtic coin as they are this size and smaller"

Extract: Testing Explorer 14 October 1999

"Right now, it doesn't seem to be better than E Trac as we know it, BUT with an ability to ground balance it does behave and work more effectively than E Trac.
I found five coins, one tiny old button, and a bit of aluminum around two inches long.
In fairness, the tiny button hardly produced a signal: it was not a repeatable signal but had a nonferrous tone and was able to produce a pin point sound also.
The button was six inches deep and had remained there for years and was previously undetected!"

Extract: Testing CTX 19 March 2012