Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

"Which detector coil made this?"

Posted by Des D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
"Which detector coil made this?"
July 24, 2018 03:15PM

Hi all,

For a bit of fun detective work, can anyone guess which detector coil made this impression? My guess is a 11" 'something', CTX maybe???

Got to a smallish beach this morning and found just two trash items (round pull tab + foil) and came across this coil impression in the sand! No other evidence. No dig holes or nothing!

I wonder if it could be anything else other than a coil mark...bucket perhaps?

It was pretty mild today no real wind and I guess the imprint couldn't be that old?

Anyway, I got 'skunked!' Wonder what the other guy got?"

Des D
Re: "Which detector coil made this?"
July 24, 2018 03:20PM
Wow. Who'd have ever have thought that md'rs would be reduced to studying coil "footprints" ? Like CSI crime-scene TV docu-dramas ? haha.

I too am equally intrigued if I sense that someone else was "at my spot" (or "beat me to the erosion" etc....). I even got to the point where I could tell who was metal detecting, *just* by the footprints, *just* by the type dig hole shapes, etc.... So I could get home that night, call them and say "how'd you do ? " haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2018 03:21PM by Tom_in_CA.
July 24, 2018 03:32PM
"Detecting isn't a hugely mainstream pastime here in my neck o' the woods!

There were 2 camper vans close by with 'foreign' plates [ F and a D ] and maybe twas one of them???
When I passed by one of 'em the guy in the front took a bit of interest in me...kept staring but didn't say anything?

It is intriguing isn't it though?

I'm currently at the beach in a 'mobile holiday home park' (trailer park) and I'm on the beaches early morning & evening.
I did see one guy a few nites ago with a "White's set-up & a SEF" (he didn't look experienced)

Could the imprint be from a SEF?"
July 24, 2018 03:54PM
I'm gonna say not from a detector/coil.
July 24, 2018 04:02PM
I would say it's from the bottom of one of those round water coolers.
If it was a coil , "Anyway, I got 'skunked!' Wonder what the other guy got?" , isn't it obvious,,,,,everything!!
July 24, 2018 04:07PM
Very simple explanation----Aliens from outer space!!----They have FAR more advanced coils than we do!!!!------Don't you ever watch T.V. Des????????? (I'm kiddin, I'm kiddin)grinning smiley
July 24, 2018 04:22PM
Bottom of a cooler jug
July 24, 2018 05:26PM
Cooler jug sounds pretty good to me, too. HH jim tn
July 24, 2018 05:58PM
jim tn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cooler jug sounds pretty good to me, too. HH jim t
> n

You guys are thinking that's an Alien cooler jug?????
July 24, 2018 07:10PM
"We're not big into cooler jugs either!

The 'spot' in the centre of the coil shot is a stick I used to help zero the camera cos it was so bright could hardly see what I was shooting? (held my finger on the stick while I focused)
And, I put my own coil behind the impression and they did look very similar...so I'm still thinking' detector?

There weren't any other 'impressions' and you would think that if it was a water jug it would have been moved around?

To me, it 'looks like' someone leaned on their detector just for a second while adjusting something?

Anyway, it's not important"
July 24, 2018 08:19PM
I guess, Des, you don't drink your brew's through a straw? drinking smiley HH jim tn
July 24, 2018 11:53PM
Suction cup from a giant octopus....any one gone missing recently?

If it's a coil, it appears to be a DD.
July 25, 2018 12:15AM
Looks like the evasive Horseshoe Crab.
July 25, 2018 12:52PM
Here is why I think it is a cooler jug(maybe 2 gallons).

First, its "arms" are too thick for a coil and there are too many "arms" as well(looks like 8).

Second, there is no movement pattern. Even if he leaned and adjusted, most likely he would of spoiled the pattern with his first swing or just moving on before he swung.

Third, the imprint itself shows a much deeper impression on one side as if there was a downward force(pressing down the tap). I don't think they were there long maybe 2 hours max then left(because the jug sat undisturbed the whole time).
July 25, 2018 02:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2018 02:11PM by flgliderpilot.
July 25, 2018 02:10PM
Easy. Equinox coil, but it's upside down. You can see the cable connection spoke in the upper left corner of the circle.